Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Adding 'disagree' to the reactions choices

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Reading through some of the posts in this thread and have to agree with those saying that a disagree reaction isn't needed and can cause more conflict. I think that is the majority as well who is saying that but a poll would be helpful to back that up.

I think that if you disagree with a post, instead of just solely reacting to it and not knowing who has done it, would be best to reply to say why you disagree, in a civil manner of course. It just helps keep the conversation going, the basis for forums like these to stay active, plus something new can be learnt and keep healthy debates going rather than increasing unnecessary arguments.

With just one button to disagree removes that aspect and to me it doesn't feel as suitable. We are built to question and/or disagree with different opinions and to explain the reasoning. If you disagree with something just reply and explain why...

P.s on a more positive note to consider is maybe a laugh reaction as some posts are funny and don't think a heart reaction is as suitable. Not expecting that to be implemented but a consideration would maybe be appreciated.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's disagree, not dislike.

And herein lies the problem. It will be treated as a dislike. Thumbs up for like thumbs down for dislike.

• Like 4

Posted

It's like the thanks icon I use for a post that is exceptionally good. Rather than a generic thanks. Due to the cup symbol. Something has to exceptional to get a trophy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

I’ve just realised somebody reacted to your post  is the  none identified reactor ,thought I was being stalked 😂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It's like the thanks icon I use for a post that is exceptionally good. Rather than a generic thanks. Due to the cup symbol. Something has to exceptional to get a trophy.

Nearly every one of your reactions to mine are thanks rather than likes, I'm honoured.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't see the need for it at all. It doesn't bother me if I get a thumbs down but I think you're treading on thin ice as there are probably a lot of people out there with, different illnesses shall we say, who come onto forums like this to get away from real life stresses and interact with people and if they them feel "attacked" for whatever reason then it may adversely impact their health. I'm not saying everyone would feel like that and that a thumbs down system would be directly responsible but there are a lot of vulnerable people around. Hopefully you get the gist of what I am trying to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
1 hour ago, Scuba steve said:

I’ve just realised somebody reacted to your post  is the  none identified reactor ,thought I was being stalked 😂

@sombody  

yep as well,  being stalked by somebody: unless its a 'clever' new member😒

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Bad idea, totally.

Every time something like this is tried it gets abused.  One of the pluses of Netweather (most of the time!) is absence of negative reactions.  It is perfectly possible to see who disagrees with your posts by their replies and responses, there is no need for a reaction.

I like to see who has reacted to my posts, it helps gauge whether I’m posting things other people want to read.

On a personal note, my reputation has also vanished.  Worked hard to build that.  Will definitely think twice before taking the time to post from now on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I can see the idea behind it but personally I don't like the idea of someone 'disagreeing' against a post/opinion and having everyone else to see that disagreement (regardless of anonymity.) I'd like to think the majority of us on NW are grown-up enough to let things pass and move on-to the next reply, having a disagree button only enables trolling and/or personal vendettas.

• Like 4

Posted
11 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Only issue for me is it looks like the "dislike" symbol on other social media. Is it possible to use a question mark symbol instead?

Good idea. We've changed it to that this morning. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Personally, adding the question mark really confuses things , for a start when I see a question mark it really is just that, whilst a thumbs down does in my mind does say I disagree with you or even dislike. The question mark is really like someone asking me to explain  my reasoning in a post I've made! Anyway that's my personal thoughts on it!☺

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

I would love to see a laughing symbol and have done for a while, I do feel it would give positive vibes.  Some of the posts are really so funny at times.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I agree with some that the thumbs down symbol means you dislike a post rather than disagree. How about a not sure about that/ puzzled face emoji, like this one 🤔?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I don't mind the new set up, but I would prefer to see who reacted to my post.

I think we should bring back the lol symbol as well.

• Like 1

Posted

The problem appears where you are trying to match the disagreement of the content of a post with an emoji. The emojis available are quite limited in trying to specifically target content approval or non-approval. 

Emojis now mean many things to different people, a thumbs down may have behind it a range of emotion attached which we cannot see from just a mild non-agreement to anger. 

I am writing this post now, no one knows if I am laughing my head off while I write it, or in the deepest of shaking rage. 

I did try and look through the emojis to see if there is one which would be more applicable to just dislike of the content of a post, I couldn't really see one apart from perhaps 🤔

There is the possibly as I said above of using an almost non emotional system if possible where a 5 star system is used for rating a post, but as I said for making the system able to automatically flag a popular and well rated post somewhat difficult, especially where ratings can change as people vote on that content. It would start to look silly where a post gets highlighted, then not, then back again as it goes in and out of the qualifying bracket for highlighted posts. 

Additionally there is the problem where although at the start an icon may have a particularly meaning, over time it will come to mean something different or more sinister within the community as people use the system and apply their own context to it. 

As we have seen with other social media platforms, it isn't an easy problem to solve. 

Edited by SnowBear
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
10 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Reading through some of the posts in this thread and have to agree with those saying that a disagree reaction isn't needed and can cause more conflict. I think that is the majority as well who is saying that but a poll would be helpful to back that up.

I think that if you disagree with a post, instead of just solely reacting to it and not knowing who has done it, would be best to reply to say why you disagree, in a civil manner of course. It just helps keep the conversation going, the basis for forums like these to stay active, plus something new can be learnt and keep healthy debates going rather than increasing unnecessary arguments.

With just one button to disagree removes that aspect and to me it doesn't feel as suitable. We are built to question and/or disagree with different opinions and to explain the reasoning. If you disagree with something just reply and explain why...

P.s on a more positive note to consider is maybe a laugh reaction as some posts are funny and don't think a heart reaction is as suitable. Not expecting that to be implemented but a consideration would maybe be appreciated.

Second that on a laugh button, there are some genuinely funny posts on here and rather than bogging up the thread quoting a post with a laugh emoji you can react to it 

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Personally, adding the question mark really confuses things , for a start when I see a question mark it really is just that, whilst a thumbs down does in my mind does say I disagree with you or even dislike. The question mark is really like someone asking me to explain  my reasoning in a post I've made! Anyway that's my personal thoughts on it!☺

I think a question mark better portrays what we're aiming for. Eg it's a way to show your unsure about, questioning or disagreeing with a post. Rather than it being a dislike type thing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think a question mark better portrays what we're aiming for. Eg it's a way to show your unsure about, questioning or disagreeing with a post. Rather than it being a dislike type thing.

I agree; the only downside is one's inability to see who's asking the question.

Posted

Should the person disagreeing/questioning want to ask a specific point or have a question answered, they'll be able to post that. It's not as if you'd know what their question was, even if you did know their name via the system. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Bad idea, totally.

Every time something like this is tried it gets abused.  One of the pluses of Netweather (most of the time!) is absence of negative reactions.  It is perfectly possible to see who disagrees with your posts by their replies and responses, there is no need for a reaction.

I like to see who has reacted to my posts, it helps gauge whether I’m posting things other people want to read.

On a personal note, my reputation has also vanished.  Worked hard to build that.  Will definitely think twice before taking the time to post from now on.

Your reputation is included in your ranking badge and is still there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Your reputation is included in your ranking badge and is still there.

Thanks, Paul.  It seems to have come back!  But it’s changed, I still can’t click on it to see the exact number, reactions given/received etc.

While we’re on the subject, the new reaction is clearly a -1 point reaction?  (Evidence a post by a member in the MOD with 10 ‘likes’ and 1 ‘disagree’ which was NOT highlighted as a popular post.)

And as I said, it was very useful to see who had been reacting to your posts, much more useful than the ‘disagree’ reaction will prove to be, I would suggest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Snowycat said:

I would love to see a laughing symbol and have done for a while, I do feel it would give positive vibes.  Some of the posts are really so funny at times.  

NO!

It is used on facebook to ridicule someone.... try to produce facts to a flat earther and their response will be a laughing emoji...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

NO!

It is used on facebook to ridicule someone.... try to produce facts to a flat earther and their response will be a laughing emoji...

Agreed. We had this very issue on the forum when we used to have the laughing reaction.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
15 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

NO!

7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Agreed. We had this very issue on the forum when we used to have the laughing reaction.

Well, a smile button will do then.  A smile button wouldn’t ridicule anyone!  😁 Anything that shows appreciation of a sense of humour! 

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 7