Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Adding 'disagree' to the reactions choices

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, rwtwm said:

I can see a benefit in giving people a way to negatively respond to a post without having to hit reply. I'm not sure what you've written seems a particular problem though? 

Take Coldplay for example. They aren't very good, but you'd struggle to argue that they aren't popular. 

That made me laugh. Reminds me of a certain Peep Show quote.

Posted
2 hours ago, weirpig said:

Not sure why you need a like or dislike button really.  

I'm in this camp. It will just make the poster feel bad that someone disagrees with them. It creates a negative atmosphere. Not needed.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

As much as I understand and support the idea for it, I think it will be used as a way for people to vent their frustrations at the difference of opinion or weather type rather than be used constructively.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The more people who disagree with me the happier I am😅

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

.......... to add, i think a person might be put off posting if they construct a good post but because its not what people want to hear, gets a load of negative reactions.

if you can sort out the difference between the quality of the post and its message, then fair enough, but that cannot be done.

.......... i also am aware that without any reaction facilities then youll never know which are popular...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Surely we’re all robust enough to not fall to pieces if someone (who we’ll probably never meet) disagrees with one of our posts? 

23 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Just as well mate! 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I think this would have a negative effect on the NW forums, both in terms of sowing discord and also potentially discouraging people from posting. The 'Like' option is at worst harmless and at best a positive encouragement (we all like a bit of community approval, no-one likes being judged negatively). If the worry is that posts liked multiple times get highlighted then stop highlighting posts, and associated gimics such as 'Won' days. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i would just have the disagree option in the serious discussion forum...don't see a need for it anywhere else

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally don't mind the idea, and I agree that the dislikes should remain annonymous as a way to avoid any hostility.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Unfortunately I think due to the more trolling types it does need to be anonymous. 

I do wonder if a five star rating would be better if a mod is available to do that? 

Then say any post which obtains a four or four and a half star or higher gets highlighted, although how to do automatically I don't know as a rating could drop in and out of that bracket as people rated the post over time. 

Would this average out the highs and lows?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I 'disagreed' with you just because I like to make people happy. 😊

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, rwtwm said:

I can see a benefit in giving people a way to negatively respond to a post without having to hit reply. I'm not sure what you've written seems a particular problem though? 

Take Coldplay for example. They aren't very good, but you'd struggle to argue that they aren't popular. 

I don't think that's quite the same to be honest. If the points on posts are used as something of a guide to those reading in terms of an overall view of the community with regard to a post, with no opportunity to negatively impact that, views that the majority may disagree with are given a potentially excessive positive score because a minority do agree with them and click the like button. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I don’t like it, I think it creates a negative vibe,  and also the fact that you can’t see who liked your posts, not really sure why it’s been decided rather than put it to a vote?

• Like 4

Posted

We're testing it and getting feedback, which is the way we've always tended to make changes on here. A vote pre-change wouldn't necessarily give people the option to try whatever the change is to get a more informed view. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
12 minutes ago, Paul said:

We're testing it and getting feedback, which is the way we've always tended to make changes on here. A vote pre-change wouldn't necessarily give people the option to try whatever the change is to get a more informed view. 

Glad to hear it’s not permanent.

Well that’s my feedback, we are in trying times, it’s a small thing but we don’t need that negativity here, as another poster said if you could do it selectively maybe for the serious chat section then ok not weather section? Not really . To me it’s like gaslighting and not even knowing who it is 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Think the ignore list is a lot more simple and you don't get upset that way.   

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Bit like the old like and dislike system on youtube before they removed it. It let's people know how useful a post is likely to be at a glance so I don't see any problem with it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I really cannot get my head around people who get upset about an emoji of disagreement. Life is full of people who disagree with you it’s reality, it’s good to have different views. The old saying is Agree to disagree! I think it’s going to be a useful emoji and I’m not bothered about getting it . 👍😊

• Like 2

Posted

Another useful feature would be the ability to block members. The ignore feature only prevents you from seeing their posts, but they can still see and reply to yours. Even then, you still see when that person has posted should you be scrolling through that thread. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

That's for another topic really. But I do agree that the ignore function should be better and is something that has been raised with Invision a lot of times.

In terms of having a true Twitter style block feature, I think that would go against what a community / forum is. It's supposed to be a place where people with all kinds of views and backgrounds can come together. I really don't think it would be good to go from that towards the echo chamber style stuff you can get on social media.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Oh i see someone dislikes my comment refusing to explain why i use the anomalies.... 

Does that mean they would like me to repeat myself for the umpteenth time? LOL

Ive seen dislike being used on posts i have no idea why they have.  Like methuselas (or however its spelt) in the mod thread... i cant for the life of me understand why! 

• Like 2