Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 1997

Philipsfd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Not my cousin. She can barely remember things from a couple of months ago lol.

Try marrying one mate......something happens in their DNA make up! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 24/07/2023 at 19:33, Philipsfd said:

How would you describe the summer of 1997 both as a whole and the 3 months in detail, and how does it compare with similarly-rated summers of that era like 94, 96, 98 and 99?

I can remember a lot of rain in June after a warm and sunny start; not many memories of July apart from a couple of pleasant days later in the month; August often gets the biggest write-up because of the heat, however, I don't remember it being an outstanding month - I can remember quite a few overcast days, rather than it being a 'sunfest' month like August 95, July 06, 13 & 18. Even July 99 seemed to be sunnier than August 97, and the maximum temperature for the month wasn't particularly high.

Also, what was the summer like for thunder? I've heard August described as a tropical month, but did it produce thundery activity on the scale of the Augusts of 94, 99, 04 and June of this year?

Better than average (location: south Hampshire). Lacking long settled spells but with an emphasis on fine warm weather in the high summer period.

June was pretty dire, certainly after about the 14th and very notably so during the last 10 days which included several consecutive cold, wet days on the trot - not unlike the same period in 2007. Score: -2

However July and August I would both rate as above average, so the high summer period in particular was good. July consisted of a series of shortish, 4-5 day fine spells separated by shorter more changeable spells, but these latter spells were not notably dull, wet or cool.

The first fine spell developed on Sat 5 and continued until Fri 11 with slack high pressure and some scattered thundery showers, but mostly sunny and warm. Then a cloudy but fairly dry westerly interlude until around the 17th and still warm and muggy at times, before around 5 further warm sunny days. There was then another changeable interlude around the 25th/26th but the 27th-30th were largely warm and sunny. There was some overnight rain on the 29th/30th but it entirely fell during the hours of darkness and had zero impact on the days either side. Finally the 31st was rather warm and humid but damp. So an above-average month overall: score +1

August started with a rather odd spell of cloudy, damp but warm weather with maxima often in the mid 20s so it was very humid indeed. It was also thundery at times. From the 8th-19th however was hot and sunny with occasional signs of thundery activity. Then it turned more changeable, still warm until around the 23rd then cooler and almost autumnal in the final week. Nonetheless overall I'd rate the month slightly above average. +1

Overall score (June weighted at 50% as not peak holiday season): (-2*0.5) +1 +1 =  +1

An above average summer. The only years to clearly beat it since 2007 were 2018 and 2022.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 26/07/2023 at 20:51, SummerShower said:

I remember June 97 as starting off quite nice but it gradually deteriorated into awfulness.  It was a bit like June 2019 in reverse.  I'm sure there was a Thursday and Friday that it rained non stop for 48h with low teens max and strong northerlies.  There was some thunder though.

This would almost certainly have been Thurs 26/Fri 27.

Posted
On 28/07/2023 at 16:53, markyo said:

Just a question, there's no doubt you do remember a August weather wise from 25 years ago, that is obvious, does this memory stretch to other events and can you pin events to years as clearly you can with weather? Certainly a gift you have.

Is it really 25 years ago? (Does mental maths) Sadly, yes it appears. Hard to believe that the difference between 1997 and now is equal to the difference between 1971 and 1997.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 06/08/2023 at 03:45, Summer8906 said:

Is it really 25 years ago? (Does mental maths) Sadly, yes it appears. Hard to believe that the difference between 1997 and now is equal to the difference between 1971 and 1997.

actually 26 years ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

This summer will be similar CET wise to 1997 except that 1997 summer was back loaded whereas this year its front loaded.  Both this year and that year generated changeable moments in the summer season and summer 1997 was very thundery indeed.   

Posted
On 06/08/2023 at 10:35, Summer8906 said:

Better than average (location: south Hampshire). Lacking long settled spells but with an emphasis on fine warm weather in the high summer period.

June was pretty dire, certainly after about the 14th and very notably so during the last 10 days which included several consecutive cold, wet days on the trot - not unlike the same period in 2007. Score: -2

However July and August I would both rate as above average, so the high summer period in particular was good. July consisted of a series of shortish, 4-5 day fine spells separated by shorter more changeable spells, but these latter spells were not notably dull, wet or cool.

The first fine spell developed on Sat 5 and continued until Fri 11 with slack high pressure and some scattered thundery showers, but mostly sunny and warm. Then a cloudy but fairly dry westerly interlude until around the 17th and still warm and muggy at times, before around 5 further warm sunny days. There was then another changeable interlude around the 25th/26th but the 27th-30th were largely warm and sunny. There was some overnight rain on the 29th/30th but it entirely fell during the hours of darkness and had zero impact on the days either side. Finally the 31st was rather warm and humid but damp. So an above-average month overall: score +1

August started with a rather odd spell of cloudy, damp but warm weather with maxima often in the mid 20s so it was very humid indeed. It was also thundery at times. From the 8th-19th however was hot and sunny with occasional signs of thundery activity. Then it turned more changeable, still warm until around the 23rd then cooler and almost autumnal in the final week. Nonetheless overall I'd rate the month slightly above average. +1

Overall score (June weighted at 50% as not peak holiday season): (-2*0.5) +1 +1 =  +1

An above average summer. The only years to clearly beat it since 2007 were 2018 and 2022.

It’s strange how I can’t remember much about that summer. Just doesn’t stand out like 94 and 95 did for me.

Posted

I remember June and August were exceptionally wet, the latter thanks to thundery downpours. July was by far the best month. Different to this summer in that respect. August was also oppressively humid, with persistant southerly or south west airstream, quite tropical, hence the heat.

Not one of my favourite 90s summers, 90, 91, 94, 95, 96 and 99 I rate better namely as not as wet. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I was living at Shinfield near Reading at the time. At 10am on Sunday 10th August I attended a church service held outside on the vicarage lawn. We had to sit in the shade as it was such an oppressive heat which I cannot recall experiencing in the UK before or since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I was 5 and we went on holiday to Southampton during late August/early Sept. It was warm but cloudy for much of the time.

• Like 1