Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Floods of 2007

A Face like Thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I was finishing year 10 that 'summer'. Hard to believe that was 16 years ago.

Posted

A very good programme, and factual rather than sensationalised. I had my copy of Philip Eden's very good book on British Weather Disasters beside me as I watched it and it all seemed pretty accurate. Scenes around Hull, Sheffield, Rotherham, Gloucester and Tewksbury in particular show how close we came to disaster during that terrible spell of weather. I recommend a 'catch-up' if you've not already seen it.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

2007 puts this Summer into perspective. It was dire. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Not the summer as a whole, but the July itself this year was equally as bad as July 2007 in my opinion, barring the floods.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
On 15/09/2023 at 11:05, danm said:

2007 puts this Summer into perspective. It was dire. 

July 2007 was to me a start of a pause in global warming up until June 2013.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
12 hours ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

July 2007 was to me a start of a pause in global warming up until June 2013.    

At least locally, indeed. If you go back and watch Gavin's old historical videos made from 2012 and 2013, when he talks about the 1990s and 2000s he basically refers to it as an old warm era compared to the "colder era we're in now". Brings me a lot of bittersweet nostalgia for that time weatherwise as the bulk of my memories of snow and seasonable weather stem from that time even though I was young (born 2001). I suppose another such period is possible.

Posted
On 07/10/2023 at 16:40, LetItSnow! said:

At least locally, indeed. If you go back and watch Gavin's old historical videos made from 2012 and 2013, when he talks about the 1990s and 2000s he basically refers to it as an old warm era compared to the "colder era we're in now". Brings me a lot of bittersweet nostalgia for that time weatherwise as the bulk of my memories of snow and seasonable weather stem from that time even though I was young (born 2001). I suppose another such period is possible.

Warming basically resumed from July 2013 onwards and every year since 2014 has been above 10 for the CET area.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
38 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Warming basically resumed from July 2013 onwards and every year since 2014 has been above 10 for the CET area.   

We had kind of forgotten what a hot summer month felt like until July 2013 arrived. A great month.

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

We had kind of forgotten what a hot summer month felt like until July 2013 arrived. A great month.

July 2013 basically bucked the warming pause and the weather begun to feel a lot more normal after that great month which supposedly was 0.2 warmer than July 2022 in the CET series.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 07/10/2023 at 16:40, LetItSnow! said:

Oh geez, I was 26 in 2013. 😳

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Oh geez, I was 26 in 2013. 😳

I've made a thread over autumn 2007 FYI in this section of the forum and it needs some new posters on there to contribute to it.