Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sycamore Gap tree in Northumberland Felled

Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

It seems like the beautiful Sycamore tree at Sycamore Gap has been cruely chopped down.

Quite upsetting for me as I only recently discovered about it earlier this month and would have loved to see it in person.

• Like 6

Posted

My gut reaction is to hang the perpetrators from the branches.  Totally OTT I know, but that's what I feel.  Used to travel the military road quite frequently, so always looked out for it.  Very sad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

That is a very sad sight indeed.
The mentality of someone doing this 🥺

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I felt the same initially but I've just been thinking of all the amazing photos we've seen of #SycamoreGap over the years, the starry skies, the aurora. It could have been lightning, disease, a storm. It wasn't, but we have experienced joy and that endures.  To beauty in nature, however long it lasts.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Felled overnight? Early morning maybe.

I wouldn't fancy felling a tree that size in the dark, floodlights ?. Never been up to see it, but seen lots of photos. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
1 hour ago, Metwatch said:

It seems like the beautiful Sycamore tree at Sycamore Gap has been cruely chopped down.

Quite upsetting for me as I only recently discovered about it earlier this month and would have loved to see it in person.

This has effected me too as I am have a deep connection with trees and woods.  I am from Northumberland and I lived in Ashington.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

People can be (expletive) at times. The only justifiable reason for felling a tree of this heritage would be due to ash-dieback or some other tree disease that rendered it unstable, but looking at the bark it's evident that this wasn't the case and is simply the cause of some 'nobody' making some ridiculous point. It reminds me the the lone tree being felled at Buttermere Lake which had been photographed hundreds/thousands of times and wasn't causing a problem to/for anyone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Northumbria Police said a 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage in connection with the felling of the Sycamore Gap Tree.

The boy remains in custody and is assisting officers with their inquires, the force said.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Reminds me of some drunks that decided to chop a tree down during the night. Luckily it didn't fall on a passing car it did land on a parked car however damaging it. Police never caught anyone sadly. Probably didn't look very hard once they driven round the area a couple of times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Such a shame ,I had a pee against it years ago 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The fact the cops have arrested a 16yr old so quickly leads me to thinking two things, either it's someone whose been 'paid off' to do this to spite tourists/locals or it's one of these eco-mob morons trying to make a point and filmed the whole thing via social media or by confession online.

There's not too many 16yr olds who would make THAT much of a effort to obtain all the tree-felling gear, go out to a tree which isn't in the most accessible of places at night and cut it down during a storm.

Posted

And because it's a 16 year old, we'll never know his name and he'll get a wee slap on the wrist and on your way.

No doubt his Solicitor will concoct some sob story for mitigation. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
46 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

Such a shame ,I had a pee against it years ago 

No wonder it fell over delayed reaction.

35 minutes ago, toggerobz said:

The fact the cops have arrested a 16yr old so quickly leads me to thinking two things, either it's someone whose been 'paid off' to do this to spite tourists/locals or it's one of these eco-mob morons trying to make a point and filmed the whole thing via social media or by confession online.

There's not too many 16yr olds who would make THAT much of a effort to obtain all the tree-felling gear, go out to a tree which isn't in the most accessible of places at night and cut it down during a storm.

Just a yob who's been given access to a chainsaw and thought he could have a laugh. This is where stocks would be an idea. However these days some bright sparks would throw bricks rather than rotten fruit and veg.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yes it's a bit sad, and yes it's criminal damage so someone might get fined for it, but the huge outpouring of grief over this single tree seems rather disproportionate given it's one sycamore. How many ancient oaks are being (needlessly) felled for HS2? How many mature trees are being felled every day for some spurious reason or other? Does this mean we're all going to be applauding the eco-activists who climb into trees to stop them being felled? (I hope so). If this results in a real increase in people standing against destruction of natural habitats then great, but I have my doubts......

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Northumbria Police said a 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage in connection with the felling of the Sycamore Gap Tree.

The boy remains in custody and is assisting officers with their inquires, the force said.

Where would a sixteen year-old kid get a chainsaw, or whatever heavy duty tool that was used for this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Yes it's a bit sad, and yes it's criminal damage so someone might get fined for it, but the huge outpouring of grief over this single tree seems rather disproportionate given it's one sycamore. How many ancient oaks are being (needlessly) felled for HS2? How many mature trees are being felled every day for some spurious reason or other? Does this mean we're all going to be applauding the eco-activists who climb into trees to stop them being felled? (I hope so). If this results in a real increase in people standing against destruction of natural habitats then great, but I have my doubts......

Wow seriously, do you not know how important that tree was to the area. People used to go to sycamore gap, just to see the tree, or because they like a film that used it in a shot. It will be missed by many, and might even make less tourists come, or disaster hunters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Wow seriously, do you not know how important that tree was to the area. People used to go to sycamore gap, just to see the tree, or because they like a film that used it in a shot. It will be missed by many, and might even make less tourists come, or disaster hunters.

Toys-R-Us? 🤔

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Where would a sixteen year-old kid get a chainsaw, or whatever heavy duty tool that was used for this.

Tbh if he lives in the country family or friends most likely have them ,I myself have 2 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
3 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

Such a shame ,I had a pee against it years 

Edited by Nick123
He didn't create the topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

Tbh if he lives in the country family or friends most likely have them ,I myself have 2 

Agreed, living in the countryside myself chainsaws are easily accessible, I have one in the shed.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Why create this topic if you're going to make a mockery out of it? 

I didn’t create this topic ,Metwatch did 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

I've corrected. But still it was an insentive thing to say when a lot of people are upset about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
Just now, Nick123 said:

I've corrected. But still it was an insentive thing to say when a lot of people are upset about it.

Sense of humour failure 🙄

• Like 1