Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn & Winter 2023---2024 Stratospheric Polar Vortex. Events, Analysis, Discussions AND Outlooks

Posted
12 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Thanks, that is very interesting.  I presume the graphic (copied from the blog) must be from GloSea6:

IMG_8075.thumb.jpeg.a2a85617b7cf748d005b555d5df7d31b.jpeg

It looks like a 16 member ensemble, which is few enough to identify the following clusters (give or take the odd one I’ve misread):

• 6 go for an early SSW (38%).
  • 3 take the route I described in my post above, intensification followed by plummet (19%).
  • 3 amble down more slowly and go mid Jan (19%).
  • 2 reverse around end Jan/start Feb (one is a repeat SSW from the first cluster). 

Overall chance of SSW 13/16 (81%).

This is much higher than the ECM 46 is going for, which is interesting.  I think it also more fairly represents what we are seeing from the GEFS and GEPS, which look pretty bullish too although any SSW outside their range at the moment.  

That pretty much confirms the 30 dayer speaking about possible colder spell post mid jan is strat related. This isn’t a one off from glosea then. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Andy8472 said:

Who's still the odd one out at 240? 🤯

Btw the ecm at the end is the best yet although no split "atm"

gfsnh-10-240.png

gensnh-21-7-240.png

gensnh-31-7-240.png

gemnh-10-240.png

JN240-5 (1).gif

20231220091652-2cb7c88c7e45a8c9b02816f3445f8fe6a98f9dc2.png

20231220091822-b6519c5edb9d58121f211a54f3f7f55afe9bb70f.png

Eps mean shows the spv very boxed in around ne scandi/ Barents Sea area and unable to extend towards e Asia as gfs op fi has been keen to show, run after run.  The mean must hide a variation of solutions though - shame we can’t see them in cluster form 

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps mean shows the spv very boxed in around ne scandi/ Barents Sea area and unable to extend towards e Asia as gfs op fi has been keen to show, run after run.  The mean must hide a variation of solutions though - shame we can’t see them in cluster form 

Which wouldn't be so good for us I take it?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Which wouldn't be so good for us I take it?

If we could lose the disconnect between weak strat and strong trop flow then it would be ok for us and potentially v good  (there are signs now as can be seen with more amplified NH profiles appearing) 

a vortex broadly in the scandi region is far better than one to our nw 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Andy8472 said:

Finally, now will the core split later on?

gfsnh-10-384.png

Ec and gfs are on a different page re the speed of the Asian warming 

it takes gfs 4 days to catch up to ec op profile and the gefs are pretty much the same as the ec op

so can’t really deduce much from the gfs until it catches up

it isn’t so different at 30 and 50 hpa so it seems to be an upper strat issue which is where ec really should be a better tool with its 137 levels at high resolution 

image.thumb.png.71a91f212e5cf30ad28fffd3297468fb.png   image.thumb.png.7f892e9ec1b44048a85e7ce328b494e0.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

From Spaceweather.

Three days in a row PSCs have been sighted in Norway and Sweden.

Widely considered to be the most beautiful clouds on Earth, polar stratospheric clouds (PSCs) are rare. Earth's stratosphere is very dry and, normally, it has no clouds at all. PSCs form when the temperature in the Arctic stratosphere drops to a staggeringly-low -85 C. Then, and only then, can widely-spaced water molecules begin to coalesce into tiny ice crystals. High-altitude sunlight shining through the crystals creates intense iridescent colors that rival auroras.

During a typical Arctic winter, PSCs appear no more than a handful of times, and the first sightings usually come in January. This week's apparition marks an early start, and may herald many more PSCs to come.

So would a SSW event be affected by this either way?  Is it a precursor or dampener?

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

From Spaceweather.

Widely considered to be the most beautiful clouds on Earth, polar stratospheric clouds (PSCs) are rare. Earth's stratosphere is very dry and, normally, it has no clouds at all. PSCs form when the temperature in the Arctic stratosphere drops to a staggeringly-low -85 C. Then, and only then, can widely-spaced water molecules begin to coalesce into tiny ice crystals. High-altitude sunlight shining through the crystals creates intense iridescent colors that rival auroras.

During a typical Arctic winter, PSCs appear no more than a handful of times, and the first sightings usually come in January. This week's apparition marks an early start, and may herald many more PSCs to come.

So would a SSW event be affected by this either way?  Is it a precursor or dampener?

BFTP

Would've thought a dampener with the colder temps😬🤣

Posted
10 minutes ago, Andy8472 said:

i wouldn't think it's either, it's just the core is v cold over that region at the moment -75/80 so it makes sense 

gfsnh-10-6.png

Correct, the colder temps at 10hPa are currently displaced from the typical home.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
3 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

From Spaceweather.

BFTP

As others have alluded to, it shows a displacement of the strat vortex if anything. Interesting they were sighted over this neck of the woods.

I seen someone mention these on twitter, I've only ever seen them once and wanted to go have another look but there was no further detail on the sighting sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

looking ar the recent charts you would think the SPV will move back over the pole, surely we couldn't see proper heat being fluxed right into the heart of the vortex to induce a split anytime before mid Jan......

OR COULD WE

image.thumb.png.bff2aec581adc497f389a2e539ca959f.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
30 minutes ago, Dignity said:

As others have alluded to, it shows a displacement of the strat vortex if anything. Interesting they were sighted over this neck of the woods.

I seen someone mention these on twitter, I've only ever seen them once and wanted to go have another look but there was no further detail on the sighting sadly.

If those are the similar to nacreous clouds they have been visible both yesterday afternoon and today in Dundee. 

IMG_2574.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

looking ar the recent charts you would think the SPV will move back over the pole, surely we couldn't see proper heat being fluxed right into the heart of the vortex to induce a split anytime before mid Jan......

OR COULD WE

image.thumb.png.bff2aec581adc497f389a2e539ca959f.png

If we get something like this then probably

gensnh-28-7-384.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
8 minutes ago, Norrance said:

If those are the similar to nacreous clouds they have been visible both yesterday afternoon and today in Dundee. 

IMG_2574.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

Cheers that what I was wondering if they were misidentified nacreous clouds, or are they the same thing?

I've had a horrific migraine today so looking out the window or being out and about hasn't been an option 😅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 17/12/2023 at 17:49, SqueakheartLW said:

Bring those negative anomalies down to the trop please

image.thumb.png.f497d29a16000ac46f61a20b0ed1286b.png

Can't be too much to ask for surely

Just curious where the second U Wind anomoly chart can be sourced. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Andy8472 said:

If we get something like this then probably

gensnh-28-7-384.png

That looks to be the way that a ssw split would occur - seems isolated as an evolution at the moment with the displacement over the Kara/barents still favoured 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

It’s ‘unusual’ for sure…..in earlyness and numerically….let’s see what happens.  I think an early Jan SSW of some magnitude is plausible 

BFTP

Posted

Good to see geopotential heights this from ECM 12Z, wave 2 attack at the end pinching vortex. I personally think vortex is in serious trouble into early 2024 setting up for a major SSW.

IMG_0861.thumb.gif.691b96a9cd829d4d2c3ceb00185a5c5f.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Andy8472 said:

Massive drop!

ps2png-worker-commands-558f87fd99-vd5kx-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-Ks0xUG.png

Indeed.  Massive increase in the number going for the scenario I outlined yesterday - vortex intensification followed by a massive reduction and then reversal.  I reckon it was about 10 members yesterday, huge cluster today.

• Like 1