Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

This high-latitude blocking is so, so unnecessary right now, bringing near freezing temperatures to my part of Europe. Would be nice setup in January, but not now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers
53 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

This high-latitude blocking is so, so unnecessary right now, bringing near freezing temperatures to my part of Europe. Would be nice setup in January, but not now.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Unfortunately the trend for another ten days of wet weather coming up for the UK , looking at the Ecms ten day precip chart. Hopefully though weather system's going through quicker rather than getting stuck over the uk like they have been....?.The sunny warm weather of early October seems a million years ago, at this rate it's going to be a long winter 😨😲😭

Could contain:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Unfortunately the trend for another ten days of wet weather coming up for the UK , looking at the Ecms ten day precip chart. Hopefully though weather system's going through quicker rather than getting stuck over the uk like they have been....?.The sunny warm weather of early October seems a million years ago, at this rate it's going to be a long winter 😨😲😭

Could contain:

Not just the UK but it's remarkable how wet large swathes of the continent are forecast to be, particularly France, southern Germany, Italy, the Alpine region and the western Balkans.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Yes a pretty unsettled outlook with more rain and wind...

ens_image-2023-10-21T111445_413.thumb.png.b2cd2ca5886fc339400442cce9f49357.png

gfes 0z looking pretty wet here at times with temps at or just below average..

gfs-welwyn-garden-city-g(33).thumb.jpeg.b90ecf95abc56b720c9868c138e1deea.jpeg

..0z pressure ens showing more of a shift to this unsettled theme i think when compared with yesterdays 12z..

gfs-welwyn-garden-city-g(34).thumb.jpeg.b4e6d30449b5e201efc8b3e7b4b92808.jpeg

..certainly the op has dropped the previous theme of more of a rise in pressure as we go into November ...seems these unsettled patterns once in go on repeating ...only positive i think is that areas of rain will be moving through quicker than has been seen recently...still little comfort for those flooded areas accross the country....

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Not just the UK but it's remarkable how wet large swathes of the continent are forecast to be, particularly France, southern Germany, Italy, the Alpine region and the western Balkans.

Yes even Spain and Portugal are getting deluged. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

How's the signal for an improvement at the beginning of November doing? It looks a little weaker than yesterday, though I remain hopeful. Here are some ensemble mean charts all showing the same point in time, 00hrs on Thu Nov 02 (which is now day 12), from each of the last three runs of the ECM and GEM ensembles:

image.thumb.png.d68b55efcce9da83239fc479f3cf4c84.png---image.thumb.png.243e2d0e66ce1de634bd6bcffcc8fad1.png

image.thumb.png.43a8cc9781527e429b9f4bc116209589.png---image.thumb.png.38a24677a735117b191d8be51b7aef6b.png

image.thumb.png.fa1f3cf54734bcf272ece6e39c299e9d.png---image.thumb.png.17ed2cdcb7c52d11c89a6048571f469b.png

You can see that the ECM in particular may have been getting a bit carried away yesterday. Its cluster analysis this morning, showing the first few days of November, produced two clusters, the smaller of which is the cluster of blocked outcomes:

image.thumb.png.43a4cfd2a8c79bcfa279e7582487d2c9.png

For comparison, here is the weekly mean height chart for the first week of November from the EC46 run initialised yesterday morning, when the main ECM ensemble was feeling more optimistic:

image.thumb.png.4ed8c9d08a6356796a3c10f850b9d34a.png

The interest of the GFS ensemble in an improvement, while less than that of the ECM, had been growing, but I can see that as of its 18z run last night, that interest has fallen away again significantly.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

The ECMWF seems to have again expanded its repertoire of machine learning models to include one of its very own, which it is calling the "AIFS" (the formal name of the regular ECM model being the "IFS"). We can now view outputs from this model alongside those of the other machine learning models we have already seen from Nvidia, Google and Huawei. My understanding is that the reason the ECMWF is able to run so many of these models at once is that they require vastly less computing resource to run than traditional models.

https://charts.ecmwf.int/chart-set/Latest forecast?base_time=202310210000&productNames=medium-mslp-wind200&productNames=aifs_medium-mslp-wind200&productNames=fourcast_medium-mslp-wind200&productNames=graphcast_medium-mslp-wind200&productNames=pangu_medium-mslp-wind200&projection=opencharts_north_atlantic&valid_time=202310310000

image.thumb.png.d3e9c11eb2f9b0374dba7f7767c19f43.png

You can see that at 0z this morning, all were showing broadly similar outcomes for the UK for Hallowe'en in ten days' time.

For comparison, a more familiar Z500+MSLP view of the regular ECM model output shown top left above:

image.thumb.png.4b696b5afd8c5d3f25afc502d41a02b1.png

As a reminder, the way that these machine learning models differ from traditional atmospheric models is that instead of trying to "fast forward" the state of the atmosphere by using (approximations of) the laws of physics, they use re-forecasts of historical weather going back decades (which are produced using the regular ECM model, meaning that that model is still needed) to "learn" how the atmosphere works, and then use the patterns they have "learned" to try to "fast forward" the current state of the atmosphere.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 4

Posted

This thread has been notably quiet in recent days, perhaps no surprise, given the models are offering more of the current conditions right out to the end of the month with exception of immediate outlook. 

Short term, a 48hr window of dry weather, which many will be grateful for I suspect. Average temps.

Rainfall for everyone Tuesday onwards but hard to pinpoint where will see the most. 

Temps holding near average.

Southerly tracking jet, with low heights and trough stuck limpet over the UK.

No obvious clear signal how we will emerge out of this very unsettled spell, as yet... good to hear views of prospects for November.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Evening. Ten days or so ago the nhp looked full of heights to the nne. The switch as been flicked and the pv has woken. Not a great week ten days ie rain amounts ete but not long fetch sw winds. Hopefully November will bring a change ie meto longrange🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, swfc said:

Evening. Ten days or so ago the nhp looked full of heights to the nne. The switch as been flicked and the pv has woken. Not a great week ten days ie rain amounts ete but not long fetch sw winds. Hopefully November will bring a change ie meto longrange🙏🙏🙏

The heights are there still, but fairly weak, and more to the NW in time, the trough is deep though, sign it may shift east eventually, but there appears to be no signal for any block to stop further low pressure squeezing in from the west at the weak spot.. low pressure might be forced on a more NW- SE alignment as we enter November thanks to heights holding to the NW.. it does look a very wet prospect and non too mild either. 

• Like 3

Posted

By the end of this upcoming week gfs paints us all in a broad swathe of an upper level trough ,but by then the signal for any blocking has been removed by then ,so even though there will be plenty of rain bearing fronts moving across the nation, the rain will be pushed along quickly by fairly brisk winds . Pretty standard conditions for late October early November and enough injections of PM air at times to make it feel cold and seasonal and these conditions affecting a lot of southern Europe as the jet stream tracks a little way south of the Uk, still not good news for the flood hit areas but at least a respite to come later next week although some slow moving rain bands to come again as we move into the first part of this coming week.......☔

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
24 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

By the end of this upcoming week gfs paints us all in a broad swathe of an upper level trough ,but by then the signal for any blocking has been removed by then ,so even though there will be plenty of rain bearing fronts moving across the nation, the rain will be pushed along quickly by fairly brisk winds . Pretty standard conditions for late October early November and enough injections of PM air at times to make it feel cold and seasonal and these conditions affecting a lot of southern Europe as the jet stream tracks a little way south of the Uk, still not good news for the flood hit areas but at least a respite to come later next week although some slow moving rain bands to come again as we move into the first part of this coming week.......☔

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Mind you if that Fri 27th chart (about as bad a chart as you can get!) is a "respite later next week", I hate to think what happens when the respite ends!

It's one thing the fronts moving through quickly, but with pressure so extremely low, I'd expect dull weather with frequent downpours even between the fronts (bit like Thursday just gone in the south) - so really no respite at all.

(Or do you mean a respite later the following week? Pressure is less extremely low by then on the GFS 12z which suggests it will be less wet, albeit still rather damp and drab; basically it brings in mild, dull SWlies but pressure rises somewhat in the south).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
51 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The heights are there still, but fairly weak, and more to the NW in time, the trough is deep though, sign it may shift east eventually, but there appears to be no signal for any block to stop further low pressure squeezing in from the west at the weak spot.. low pressure might be forced on a more NW- SE alignment as we enter November thanks to heights holding to the NW.. it does look a very wet prospect and non too mild either. 

At least a NW-SE track might dramatically improve sunshine levels - Nov 1996 is the first thing that springs to mind for NW-SE lows at that time of year.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Hazard a guess but I suspect if you averaged out pressure anomalies for last week of Oct, it would show a mirror image of what is in prospect, i.e. low deep heights over the UK. Settled weather in late October always seems hard to come by. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Hazard a guess but I suspect if you averaged out pressure anomalies for last week of Oct, it would show a mirror image of what is in prospect, i.e. low deep heights over the UK. Settled weather in late October always seems hard to come by. 

Even still, this year pressure seems forecast to be particularly low. While I agree that late Oct is almost always poor to some extent, it seems to be spectacularly so this year - I doubt mean pressure in late Oct over southern England is below 1000mb.

Posted

image.thumb.png.905a8f150bb21f41aab29c9612d1457f.png
12z keeps the temperature around the average mark for the next week, showers  seem to be the outlook. After that it’s just a mess perhaps some sort of change to something colder. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

The 12z Ecm does perhaps present a ray of hope with regards to something drier developing for Halloween and probably going forward from that point too as heights build strongly over Central Europe having the effect of diverting Atlantic weather systems well away to the northwest. We can but hope.

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks for post above, after the deluges of late and continued unsettled outlook, I think many will hope for the cut off low to SW scenario with heights to the north and east fending off the atlantic. As said if we were deeper into winter, I'd expect the cold dense air to hold its ground, alas its the time of year when 9 times out of 10 the atlantic has its way. I always expect atlantic wet weather late Oct and into November. A grin and bear it period. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Bit later than usual but I'll do the 18z GFS vs 12z ECM. 12z GFS ensemble is shown below for reference, 18z may be different.

Overall, the ensemble means are quite close to the long-term mean.

image.thumb.png.763bb489c7fbbfe780252c3c0a4cb309.png image.thumb.png.239392ebd0b50197a86517b37363f0fd.png

At T+66/72, GFS slides a slow moving low along the east coast of central/northern England and Scotland, which looks very bad for areas already affected by flooding. ECM moves it through a bit faster from west to east, which is probably the best of the two options from a flood risk perspective.

image.thumb.png.585ec21c02cf010d6c41aabe46550ae8.png image.thumb.png.6210d00d0976afe9b49c8e10e754aeac.png 

At T+114/120, GFS and ECM both have deep low pressure out in the Atlantic. GFS brings it in closer, ECM a little further out to sea.

image.thumb.png.07d5314ac18ae181b14163e0ce94ad2b.png image.thumb.png.8617453789691a6895f0bc6f2a37fdbb.png

At T+162/168, GFS swings the low in even closer. ECM briefly flirts with this idea but then sends the deepest area of the low back out west. From a pure flood risk perspective again I think we need to be rooting for ECM here.

image.thumb.png.49245e9243017abb6ad3f0ef59ea6033.png image.thumb.png.5e47d07865a7d0ed2996330e28aa09f2.png

By T+240, finally a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel. GFS goes for a NW/SE split so at least some of us will get some drier weather, and ECM goes further by building up a ridge that gets at least to central areas.

image.thumb.png.3af100e86d66640620b4281c6d8795de.png image.thumb.png.3385ba232fd1e4a51527fb1582dd04cc.png

The GFS extended continues in a similar vein to the position at T+240, bit of a NW/SE split, settled interludes in between showery bursts. Pretty mild.

image.thumb.png.a435c9eec4b81d0fc3ce34f49b2526bd.png

• Like 2