Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

All models seem to agree that this is very much a double whammy.  We are not in a classic zonal setup here, and the GEM evolution out to T240 shows how the second system slams into the UK while the first is pretty much still there:

animtyj7.gif

There’s even a little low in the middle that gets absorbed in it.  Very disruptive spell of weather.

Interestingly given my location, the ECM ensemble makes the Saturday low look a lot less notable than the Thursday one from a wind perspective (you can still see its footprint on the precipitation total though):

image.thumb.png.375f997519029d3c31161626ed4df066.png

You can also see the suggestion of something brighter and chillier for the following week.

How pleasing to get these outputs an hour sooner today, and every day for the next five months!

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I think the stormy winds are for a French Affair , .......

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

That's the recent trend, yes. But with the low having shifted at least 400 miles south in the past 36 hours, it would be good to see a few more runs before calling it. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Second one shows south coast impacts, it also shows it's still intensifying between the two.

Posted
7 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

My mistake I though it was two sea level winds, second is at 850.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
14 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Was sceptical this morning as GFS seemed out on a limb with the Southerly dive,however all models now seem on board with "trend setting GFS"

Another correction South or the status quo being maintained tomorrow might see the met office warning reworded to focus on Channel Island impacts rather than mainland u.k.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, gales, snow, thunder and more snow
58 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Was sceptical this morning as GFS seemed out on a limb with the Southerly dive,however all models now seem on board with "trend setting GFS"

Another correction South or the status quo being maintained tomorrow might see the met office warning reworded to focus on Channel Island impacts rather than mainland u.k.

I’ll let you know how things go. That’s if I’m not blown into France. Proper exposed to this. Gonna be brutal. 

Could contain:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 minutes ago, Snowboy111 said:

I’ll let you know how things go. That’s if I’m not blown into France. Proper exposed to this. Gonna be brutal. 

Could contain:

Indeed. Will be interesting to see how our local met predict and handle this one, including when warnings will be issued encompassing tide alerts. Stay safe my friend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
49 minutes ago, Catacol said:

You're going to need to post some images of this - because I'm looking at modelling for Thurs to Sat and seeing no such thing. 400 mile shift south? This was the GFS 3 days ago

MWB may have been referring to this chart Catacol, which was posted on Friday by minus10?!

ecmwf-0-156.png.d543d471ef3fe61d67bb7cd850ad3599.thumb.png.e2b245cdb038ca4cc57822f1f9eac9aa.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, gales, snow, thunder and more snow
53 minutes ago, Fitzwis said:

Indeed. Will be interesting to see how our local met predict and handle this one, including when warnings will be issued encompassing tide alerts. Stay safe my friend.

Well we don’t have a met here, just observers, so our info is from your Met. I suspect they’ll do it Tuesday eve. They’re not one for going early. Tides aren’t too bad. No springs so that’ll help. But we’re exposed so I fear a hell of a battering for a good 24 hours. No doubt you’ll record a 1mph quicker wind speed than us 😜

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Latest fax chart for midday Thursday. Some very high winds along the South coast if this track is maintained and lots of rain for many. 

IMG_2520.gif

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Latest fax chart for midday Thursday. Some very high winds along the South coast if this track is maintained and lots of rain for many. 

IMG_2520.gif

Oh it slightly further north than yesterday's, thats not good, puts the south well and truely in the wind field.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Admittedly it’s a day 10 chart and of course subject to change but the 12z Ecm does at least seem to be holding out the prospect of something calmer and perhaps more settled after next weekend. Even in the days preceding this day 10 chart pressure does seem to be gradually on the rise from the southwest, finally moving the jet stream that bit further north. Temps would probably be about average or perhaps slightly above considering it would be a rise in pressure from the Azores. 

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted

I think the above fax charts where yesterday’s update, this one below seems to be the updated one today for Thursday, storm more elongated, strongest winds for channel and south coast but all of the south at risk of some damaging winds if track is shifted slightly northwest of this in the coming days which seems more likely of course.

C2CF7268-21FD-4436-9B65-0E4461EFB91A.thumb.gif.b0968c7113e3dcf3203c2890d6f8f2f7.gif

Seems to be three possibilities for inland England and to a lesser extent Wales. The most likely being periods of gust in excess of 50mph inland as already been said, with 70-80mph isolated 90mph in exposed coastal parts as has been mentioned particularly also by the met office.

A Less likely outcome being relatively light winds for most of the time inland southern England except for the initial band of rain and southerly winds, with very heavy rain being the main problem due to centre of storm passing over the south excluding the south coast.

Least likely outcome of very damaging wind gusts of 70+mph inland over the south with 100mph worryingly close to the south coast and certainly over the English Channel. Regardless this storm looks likely to cause big problems for the south coast atm. But worth watching closely for the rest of southern England 50-55mph with trees in full leaf and saturated ground really is significant and rather damaging. 

here’s the latest Gfs for the storm.

D881F52D-5955-47DF-88C5-BD1C8CFE8728.thumb.png.999591c13fae5e179bde82b18171e5d8.png

EA615415-C64F-43B4-8A5F-9D6F1A6C3DD4.thumb.png.78c4e6c59045b726bc226899cfb80eff.png

4805D4CB-5B8F-4D5D-BADB-3552F9A0C6D9.thumb.png.4d003ef35b358acbc8df884b73d6104c.png

The next deep low moving into far southern parts by Friday/Saturday time will only exacerbate problems but this primarily a rain maker with the strongest winds over southwestern coasts and over France.

09DD241A-A77B-4F23-BF0D-13D7EDE165DF.thumb.png.ca00b51bfb18ff0d92309997cb56e6a1.png

Edited by Jordan S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Going to get back to my usual post today, but will be a quick one. Storm Ciaran has been well covered by others, so I'll look at T+114/120, T+162/168, and T+234/240 comparing GFS 18z to ECM 12z.

At T+114/120, GFS backs the remnants of Ciaran up the east coast and back to northern England. ECM has it on a more conventional west to east track.

image.thumb.png.662e11e26e26b39711be7206a0dc887a.png image.thumb.png.48b9435c39488fbf7d1210df6bafa169.png

At T+162/168, the remnants of another storm (too early to be calling this potential Storm Debi?) are passing to our east. GFS is faster to move it through, ECM still has it fairly close to the east. Nevertheless, low pressure still well in charge.

image.thumb.png.2a8dfcb7558c6c37e7ae83c077481d3c.png image.thumb.png.b3dfcbe0d6a9b61977b44970a1af7ee3.png

At T+234/240, GFS has yet another low moving in, admittedly less deep than the last one. Also an absurd Greenland high setting up at 1060mb! ECM is less interested in the Greenland high, and is hinting more at a rise in pressure from the SW, though only beginning to influence the UK at this stage.

image.thumb.png.b739186937515f8963a02eb9c7b3af9f.png image.thumb.png.d0a733adaac2936b3edbc5d24e8e36c3.png

Rainfall accumulations to T+240 show the highest accumulations for the SW corner. GFS shows an additional risk area of 100mm or more for NW England.

image.thumb.png.4389c824a689518aed6b5d4096904e86.png image.thumb.png.352f7e2139060b54a81df389d8d8a85a.png 

Moving into the GFS extended, we see a couple of attempts to raise heights over the UK, but it's all pretty feeble quite frankly, and after that it's just more unsettled weather for the foreseeable. Temperatures near normal to perhaps a little below average. Position at T+384 is shown.

image.thumb.png.0f4d5a4067ead4c453646accb63932cc.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS is maintaining a more southerly track for the coming storm, and the 0Z op has the eye of the storm over the south, with the most damaging winds missing most of us, though the SW and E Anglia may catch some stormier conditions. 

animaxu8.gif

UKMO and GEM are variations of this track.

The GFS D7 accumulated rainfall shows the worst in the channel, but S England is getting higher than average amounts:

image.thumb.png.10ffb7fa359f34ebb097a9487ec50f2f.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

GFS is maintaining a more southerly track for the coming storm, and the 0Z op has the eye of the storm over the south, with the most damaging winds missing most of us, though the SW and E Anglia may catch some stormier conditions. 

animaxu8.gif

UKMO and GEM are variations of this track.

The GFS D7 accumulated rainfall shows the worst in the channel, but S England is getting higher than average amounts:

image.thumb.png.10ffb7fa359f34ebb097a9487ec50f2f.png

Looks to me the whole south coast gets hit with winds too, not just rain, it might not go far in land, but coastal towns do exist thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

After what seems like a tempestuous start to the ten day period ,both gfs and ecm show things settling down somewhat with colder,calmer conditions as we move towards the end of this ten day timescale. ......😨😱😱

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

After what seems like a tempestuous start to the ten day period ,both gfs and ecm show things settling down somewhat with colder,calmer conditions as we move towards the end of this ten day timescale. ......😨😱😱

Charts to illustrate your post:

image.thumb.png.2f0bc79f94aced7ba275873219f642c8.png

Are the machine learning models on board? Not really...

image.thumb.png.dd38c2596d89f44a0ce0f8c689b72fca.png

Is the ECM ensemble on board? Potentially, it's there on the table:

image.thumb.png.de7b836543fcb5f9c1735c789ab32605.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Thanks 1