Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Probably best trying to reach the M1, some side roads on higher ground to the East of the town are still passable but the town centre is a complete write off

I know I had to help friends and family I have managed to help them get back. 

My friend was worrying as she didn't know where to go. 

Luckily I knew the best way to try and that was go on to the Motorway at Heath and come off at 31 and to the back of Drake house retail park upto Gleadless then back down the parkway they made it home thankfully. 

3 minutes ago, OddSpot said:

Says it all really

Screenshot_20231020_192951_Maps.thumb.jpg.368e27b5e8410d4ceab78930829f5948.jpg 

Sheepbridge is flooded as well near the factories from what I saw on Facebook too so the roads from South of Chesterfield to Dronfield are pretty much impassable. 

Edited by Derbyshire_snow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

I know I had to help friends and family I have managed to help them get back. 

My friend was worrying as she didn't know where to go. 

Luckily I knew the best way to try and that was go on to the Motorway at Heath and come off at 31 and to the back of Drake house retail park upto Gleadless then back down the parkway they made it home thankfully. 

Sheepbridge is flooded as well near the factories from what I saw on Facebook too so the roads from South of Chesterfield to Dronfield are pretty much impassable. 

It's basically, any dips in the roads get flooded.

Our lass drove from Dronfield to Hasland.....took 3 hours via various routes. Eventually ended up after negotiating Sheepbridge and Newbold area and Calow, going via Deepsick Lane (Arkwright to Temple Normanton) then through to Hasland 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
43 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Just shows difference 10 mile or so down the coast makes it was dry for most of day till about 3pm and nome stop rain since in Hartlepool 

I went down the south gare at high tide this morning not often you see such huge waves going up the tees river 

Posted

I live in Brampton Chesterfield and its mad to to turn on the tv and see BBC News presenting literally from the end of my road.  Thankfully I am on a slight incline so I havent flooded but the devastation on Chatsworth Road is definitely on a par or if not worse than 2007

Everything just developed so quickly this morning, really not sure why this wasnt a red warning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Personally think the Met Office have done a great job with the warnings. They picked out the highest risk areas in E Scotland several days ago and escalated the warnings in severity as the event grew closer. 

Whilst there has been significant flooding in places like Sheffield etc, the amber was a moderate likelihood of moderate impacts and given the uncertainty in modelling I can see why they didn’t go red. 

It’s easy in hindsight to say “this should have been red” but the Met only issue red after intense discussions with relevant parties and when confidence & likelihood are both high, given the uncertainty on todays rainfall event & where the highest risk of impacts was going to be, I think the amber was sufficient.

It shouldn’t have to be a red warning for people to pay attention. The amber warning text highlighted the possibilites. 

IMG_2677.thumb.jpeg.ac88c35fd50575c66e8de7f0c4a8ca40.jpeg

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well decided to rescue my rain gauge just in case it over flowed. Good job I did I think. The Davis is under reading a bit so it looks like we had 93.8mm since midnight.

Could contain:

Have you ever had more than that in a similar time period?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

86.4 mm here in the 24hrs ending 1700 g.m.t. If that had fallen within one 'rainfall day' it would have been the wettest day on record here. 50.3 mm since 0800 g.m.t this morning which already makes it the wettest October day on record, beating 49.6 mm on the 22nd in 1998, and it's still raining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 minute ago, Rammie said:

Have you ever had more than that in a similar time period?

Possibly in the past but those records are in the archives of Western Park so can't check.

However from personal memory no.

After 2007 I went back through our records which we have and came up with this table https://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/Averages/Heaviest Rainfall From 1989.pdf

Posted

Can we keep to the topic in here please, that is to discuss storm babet and its impacts.

The arguing over what can and can't be posted in here needs to stop.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Personally think the Met Office have done a great job with the warnings. They picked out the highest risk areas in E Scotland several days ago and escalated the warnings in severity as the event grew closer. 

Whilst there has been significant flooding in places like Sheffield etc, the amber was a moderate likelihood of moderate impacts and given the uncertainty in modelling I can see why they didn’t go red. 

It’s easy in hindsight to say “this should have been red” but the Met only issue red after intense discussions with relevant parties and when confidence & likelihood are both high, given the uncertainty on todays rainfall event & where the highest risk of impacts was going to be, I think the amber was sufficient.

It shouldn’t have to be a red warning for people to pay attention. The amber warning text highlighted the possibilites. 

IMG_2677.thumb.jpeg.ac88c35fd50575c66e8de7f0c4a8ca40.jpeg

Agreed, but some didn't take notice of even red warnings.

Quote from the news

Did you get the message to evacuate

Answer

Yes but I didn't think it would do this..

Or roughly for the answer anyway.

Hopefully this episode at the very least helps people to take note of warnings.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
Just now, ChezWeather said:

60 People rescued today from homes and businesses in Chesterfield by Derbyshire FRS 

That was ridiculous down Brampton where they did the rescues.

Between what used to be the Grouse pub upwards......unreal. Absolute river..

• Thanks 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, OddSpot said:

It's basically, any dips in the roads get flooded.

Our lass drove from Dronfield to Hasland.....took 3 hours via various routes. Eventually ended up after negotiating Sheepbridge and Newbold area and Calow, going via Deepsick Lane (Arkwright to Temple Normanton) then through to Hasland 

Madness wasn't it took. My dad just over 4 & half hours Dronfield to Haaland to Heath M1 J31 then Upto Gleadless and down Bochum Parkway back to Dronfield he regretted that journey 🙈

Posted
32 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I went down the south gare at high tide this morning not often you see such huge waves going up the tees river 

It was hard to see much from the Heugh  to North and South Gare due to the spray and size of the waves not often you see it like that. 

Dread to think how bad Arwen was at full power I didn't go out as it was 90-100mph winds on the Headland and it would have been sheer stupidity really. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

60 People rescued today from homes and businesses in Chesterfield by Derbyshire FRS 

This why it should have been a red warning as more notice might have been taken. The news inaccurately suggested there wasn't an amber warning for Chesterfield.

I don't think I'll see 100mm on the Davis if stayed up until midnight. I ain't going to try as I'm knackered. Can't recall seeing 80 before though.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Madness wasn't it took. My dad just over 4 & half hours Dronfield to Haaland to Heath M1 J31 then Upto Gleadless and down Bochum Parkway back to Dronfield he regretted that journey 🙈

Bochum was at a standstill when I went past mid afternoon. I didn't go back that way.

94.7mm, think we are going to fall just shy of 100mm since midnight but the wettest 24 hour period in my time here. Given the scale of the devastation in Chesterfield I am of the view it should have been a red warning here. Its been worse than most expected and river levels are higher than they have ever been. Schools and businesses have been caught out with many people left battling dangerous conditions and left stranded.  I'm not sure what else would be needed for a red warning. 

Thank goodness its not January, it would have been a snow storm for the ages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Wow!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Talking of warnings, did anyone get a 'emergency alert' on their mobile today in the areas affected? surely today would have been a prime example of why it's needed to be implemented, for the ney-sayers who shrugged off the test back in April.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, toggerobz said:

Talking of warnings, did anyone get a 'emergency alert' on their mobile today in the areas affected? surely today would have been a prime example of why it's needed to be implemented, for the ney-sayers who shrugged off the test back in April.

Nope nothing

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Got usual text/E-mail from Northern Power 'to be prepared' just incase we have power cuts....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
24 minutes ago, toggerobz said:

Don't think it was expected to be operational for a few years yet? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Got usual text/E-mail from Northern Power 'to be prepared' just incase we have power cuts....

Did you get the 2nd usual one telling you that the bills are going up to pay for repairs...

• Like 3