Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Did you get the 2nd usual one telling you that the bills are going up to pay for repairs...

Strangely enough they omitted that one 😉😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
10 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

Don't think it was expected to be operational for a few years yet? 

Got to wait for a real disaster

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Personally think the Met Office have done a great job with the warnings. They picked out the highest risk areas in E Scotland several days ago and escalated the warnings in severity as the event grew closer. 

Whilst there has been significant flooding in places like Sheffield etc, the amber was a moderate likelihood of moderate impacts and given the uncertainty in modelling I can see why they didn’t go red. 

It’s easy in hindsight to say “this should have been red” but the Met only issue red after intense discussions with relevant parties and when confidence & likelihood are both high, given the uncertainty on todays rainfall event & where the highest risk of impacts was going to be, I think the amber was sufficient.

It shouldn’t have to be a red warning for people to pay attention. The amber warning text highlighted the possibilites. 

IMG_2677.thumb.jpeg.ac88c35fd50575c66e8de7f0c4a8ca40.jpeg

Agreed but how do you explain the lack of adequate warnings for places like Suffolk today where they have failed so badly to warn of what has happened here?

Posted

Some areas showing 200mm on the radar accumulation 

It's still raining here, cannot remember a day like this in my entire life, constant rain literally all day 

Could contain:

• Like 8

Posted
23 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Some areas showing 200mm on the radar accumulation 

It's still raining here, cannot remember a day like this in my entire life, constant rain literally all day 

Could contain:

It's not 200, its second on the 'pink' part of the scale. If you select 'clickable map' from the overlay menu and click the map, you can view the actual figures. 🙂

Screenshot_20231020-222609.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Absolutely Chez.. didn't look at graph, only it's the worst I've seen in my area 😔

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

This rain shadow is something else no rain since 11 am  patio ,drive and roads dry from the wind 

• Like 2

Posted

Probably far too premature to be asking but are we expecting any more significant rainfall and/or storms within the next few weeks? I think I read in the MOD that we're going to be low pressure dominated for quite a while.  

Posted
7 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Probably far too premature to be asking but are we expecting any more significant rainfall and/or storms within the next few weeks? I think I read in the MOD that we're going to be low pressure dominated for quite a while.  

There is the possibility of the remains of hurricane tammy next weekend 

Posted

Not many seem to realise how much damage that little River Hipper causes in Chesterfield. It comes from the hills up Chatsworth way, all the way down to Brampton. The lay of the land causes havoc with such events as of today and 2007.

The Hipper also joins the River Rother near Horns Bridge (you can see on this screenshot taken just now, Horns Bridge bottom roundabout) which causes more chaos.Screenshot_20231020_230145_Maps.thumb.jpg.9be5ea67b08bb3dd17ed7b29720f277d.jpg

Edited by OddSpot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
6 minutes ago, OddSpot said:

Not many seem to realise how much damage that little River Hipper causes in Chesterfield. It comes from the hills up Chatsworth way, all the way down to Brampton. The lay of the land causes havoc with such events as of today and 2007.

The Hipper also joins the River Rother near Horns Bridge (you can see on this screenshot taken just now) which causes more chaos.Screenshot_20231020_230145_Maps.thumb.jpg.9be5ea67b08bb3dd17ed7b29720f277d.jpg

I’d imagine if Oxford or Cambridge or somewhere in london had anything like the flooding in chesterfield today there’d be breaking news and insane coverage 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

I’d imagine if Oxford or Cambridge or somewhere in london had anything like the flooding in chesterfield today there’d be breaking news and insane coverage 

Absolutely.

Some of the videos on socials showing Chatsworth Road on Brampton are unbelievable. Feel so sorry for those affected down Brampton, and everywhere else as well that have also been affected over the last 24 hours or so.

Edited by OddSpot
  • Thanks 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Indeed, my home city of Dundee has suffered bad, yet very little cover.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Scuba steve said:

This rain shadow is something else no rain since 11 am  patio ,drive and roads dry from the wind 

I noticed that when arriving in a dry pavement Blackpool after driving for 5 hours through a monsoon. It stayed dry all afternoon and evening.  You could see 5 miles out into the Irish Sea where the rain started falling again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Right so I made it here, M1 was poor visibility and heavy rain from Northampton / junction 15 all the way to present location, where its still raining heavily.

Not much in the way of flood water here, luckily, at least the route I took, but, did hit one "puddle" at the side of the road which my vehicle turned into a wall of water as high as the vehicle itself. 4WD saved the day though.

Wouldn't want to be out in it at this time though, think the traffic volume helped stop it settling.

Thoughts to everyone else braving / caught in this, stay safe.

Personally never seen anything like this before at this time of year, such weird weather, strange clouds and lighting. Maybe its just me though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

...and then there was this lady who said.."I'm not going nowhere with al this red warnin and stuff" who later appeared on the TV saying "I've lost everyfink!"

Red Weather Warnings - Tick

Edited by Pixel
swellin and gwammaer

Posted

I've noticed that even at 3am its still raining outside here in the Peak District down into Shrops, it looks like we're in a localised area of LLC with further rain bands pouring in from the NE direction that is only adding up the precip numbers further. +4mm on-top of yesterday's rainfall and that's only since midnight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Here's Storm Babet's nation-wide rainfall totals so far - as calculated by the Netweather V8 Hi Res radar. The chart shows the rainfall accumulation for the period Mon 16th Oct through to Fri 20th and as there was negligible rainfall on Mon and Tues - before the storm arrived - it's a good estimate of the rainfall resulting from the storm (which is ongoing, so the chart will need updating to include Sat totals). 

HiResRadarrainfall16-20Oct23.thumb.png.9d38cb2fc23bfb401a4c09adc6e988ba.png

Source: Netweather Extra

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

There will be more heavy rain for the areas which have seen severe flooding already from Storm Babet with another Red rain warning for eastern Scotland on Saturday. Sunday will be better.

Took a while to find enough shelter to record, even then one gust interrupts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1