Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Just now, Alderc 2.0 said:

My kids are currently stuck in the Yorkshire dales cutoff by floodwater. Safe but on an effective island. They had power restored this morning after nearly 16hrs. 

Wow, glad they are safe. Is it half term, quite the tale for what did you get up to in the October break. They will remember strange things about the adventure, very different often to adults' worries and thoughts

• Like 9

Posted

Trains are still cancelled at Swindon, including the main lines running between Swansea and Paddington. With the M4 shut yesterday because of a fatal accident, it really was an awful day for travelling in the area. There was quite a bit of disruption around the town and surrounding areas, I'm still a little bit annoyed we didn't even get a weather warning, when I had family snarled up in delays coming back from Cornwall, and separately, more family stranded half the day on train platforms trying to fight their way back to Swindon. 

Top marks for the train operators who paid for a taxi back for the last leg, and provided a food voucher to use in the café at Chippenham station. With a young baby and an older child in tow, I can only imagine what a nightmare day they must have had. 

There were quite a few local hotspots with flooding problems around the town. A quick check of local rain data, and we've received something like 11 inches in 35 days, compared to an average of around 2.5 to 3 inches. 

There is now a small area from Swindon to Oxford, roughly running along the A420 corridor, that has received exceptional rainfall over the last 35 days, with Babet adding another month's worth of rain. The met office didn't see fit to issue is a warning, which I'm still puzzled by. The ground is completely saturated, with fields in Oxfordshire now spilling their contents over the roads in places such as Challow near Wantage, on the A417, and other prone areas. It feels like we've been overlooked, and hope the met office get a bit sharper over the next couple of weeks, with more rain to come, and a potential storm later next week. The amount of rain in the area has been really exceptional for us, and now we are particularly vulnerable to even moderate rainfalls in the next few weeks, and will continue to be vulnerable until we get a couple of dry weeks to allow things to soak through the system. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just had a walk round Graves Park in Sheffield which flooded yesterday. Water levels lower than I expected see it a lot higher. Most of the flooding  would have been due to tree clearing and whoever did though it was a good idea to leave the logs in or on the banks on the quiet looking stream. I guess it's being environmentally friendly.  However all that happened is the stream became a torrent and washed all these logs into the Calvert which blocked. The ones further upstream are trapped under the bridges so the stream is going over the path so unless you've wellington boots or waders you can't walk up the ravine.

The council now has got a dirty big lorry blenching out fumes clearing up the mess. So any environmental gain quickly gone away. Add in the fumes from stuck traffic and other crap that will have been caught in the flood not a good policy.

Going to work out how much rain has fallen in set periods but 91.1mm in 25 hours yesterday 06:45 to 07:45. In 24 hours the day before 19.3mm and 20.3mm  the day before that.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

65.1 mm here yesterday made it the 5th wettest day on record, and the wettest October day by a wide margin. 101.5 mm in the last 48 hrs and 129.5 mm in the last 72 hrs. The wettest 3 consecutive days since I began keeping records in 1963.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
WWW.KIDDERMINSTERSHUTTLE.CO.UK

Flood water from the River Severn is reaching close to Bewdley businesses on Severn Side. Former Environment Agency area manager Dave Throup said on…

Not a great piece of news from my town... turns out the flood barriers (which are very effective when they're up) were not in fact deployed here. "The rain across the West Midlands area has fallen further south and with much more intensity than our models predicted," is how the EA guy is quoted in the article. Scroll down a bit and there's also a statement from the town council saying there were plant equipment failures.

All in all, a bit of a disaster and the first time there's been flooding like that on the town side of the river since the flood barriers were first installed many years ago. They're great but only work if they're actually up, so I imagine people living there will want some proper answers about what went wrong and how it can be avoided in future.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the wettest 72hr period since 1989  with 130.7mm falling pipping June 14th 2007 which had a total of 123.7mm. So we are now well primed for another 2007.

It's now the 3rd wettest on record for us at 161.1mm. 39mm to break the record.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Here's Storm Babet's nation-wide rainfall totals so far - as calculated by the Netweather V8 Hi Res radar. The chart shows the rainfall accumulation for the period Mon 16th Oct through to Fri 20th and as there was negligible rainfall on Mon and Tues - before the storm arrived - it's a good estimate of the rainfall resulting from the storm (which is ongoing, so the chart will need updating to include Sat totals). 

HiResRadarrainfall16-20Oct23.thumb.png.9d38cb2fc23bfb401a4c09adc6e988ba.png

Source: Netweather Extra

That map, for my area looks strange because there wasn’t much rain here. Northwest Ireland escaped the worst of this weather but shows up as red, just like Eastern Scotland and Yorkshire/Derbyshire areas that absolutely got battered.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
4 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

That map, for my area looks strange because there wasn’t much rain here. Northwest Ireland escaped the worst of this weather but shows up as red, just like Eastern Scotland and Yorkshire/Derbyshire areas that absolutely got battered.

I believe it's down to the chart I posted being cumulative rainfall over 4 days? Storm Babet was just starting to impact NW Ireland on Tues and then gave some further rain on Wed, Thur and Friday. So no one day with big totals, but over the week it added up? Here's the daily tally from the radar:

Tues HiResRadarrainfall17Oct23.thumb.png.28261eb3d956d6ab4761c36adc6655b5.png Weds HiResRadarrainfall18Oct23.thumb.png.c639d36faf692347904b74c359b1c5ce.png

Thur HiResRadarrainfall19Oct23.thumb.png.08f78378370edd7d9cddd4ad2e3664ed.png Fri HiResRadarrainfall20Oct23.thumb.png.6155bdf0b7452dd938c1d59168beabdd.png

And I've used Ogimet to check the totals recorded by the automated Met Office weather station at Castlederg and it shows 68mm (2.7 inches) of rain over the 4 days 17th - 21st Oct:

Castledergweather17-21Oct23.thumb.jpg.3380d25b0ed1b9ce8f54d6c09e40e62e.jpg

Let me know if there's a more suitable automated station and I'll run the figures for that too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

David Nugent-Malone captures the ground "moving like sea" in Mugdock while walking his dog, Jake.

Never seen that before

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The word unprecedented really is losing all meaning with the state of "the weather" now. Truly awful scenes. 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, CLH said:

The word unprecedented really is losing all meaning with the state of "the weather" now. Truly awful scenes. 

Maybe the word historic will have more meaning 

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I believe it's down to the chart I posted being cumulative rainfall over 4 days? Storm Babet was just starting to impact NW Ireland on Tues and then gave some further rain on Wed, Thur and Friday. So no one day with big totals, but over the week it added up? Here's the daily tally from the radar:

Tues HiResRadarrainfall17Oct23.thumb.png.28261eb3d956d6ab4761c36adc6655b5.png Weds HiResRadarrainfall18Oct23.thumb.png.c639d36faf692347904b74c359b1c5ce.png

Thur HiResRadarrainfall19Oct23.thumb.png.08f78378370edd7d9cddd4ad2e3664ed.png Fri HiResRadarrainfall20Oct23.thumb.png.6155bdf0b7452dd938c1d59168beabdd.png

And I've used Ogimet to check the totals recorded by the automated Met Office weather station at Castlederg and it shows 68mm (2.7 inches) of rain over the 4 days 17th - 21st Oct:

Castledergweather17-21Oct23.thumb.jpg.3380d25b0ed1b9ce8f54d6c09e40e62e.jpg

Let me know if there's a more suitable automated station and I'll run the figures for that too.

Yes, the fact that the 68mm was more spread out is probably the reason. I wasn’t saying there was no rain but the rain that fell was just normal Autumnal rain, nothing torrential like those other unfortunate areas.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone know where this is headed? Screenie grabbed just now from NASA: GOES-16, Full Disk, Visible (10min, Band 2) ,wind map grabbed from https://classic.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-16.00,40.38,1095/loc=-21.605,36.020

Could contain:

Could contain:

Posted
11 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Anyone know where this is headed? Screenie grabbed just now from NASA: GOES-16, Full Disk, Visible (10min, Band 2) ,wind map grabbed from https://classic.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-16.00,40.38,1095/loc=-21.605,36.020

Could contain:

Could contain:

Well saying as the British Isles are a rain magnet, expect it to turn due North

• Like 2

Posted

I'm posting these images here because it seems the nerds are in attendance and I thought they would appreciate this eye candy. In my previous post I included a sat image and a wind map image of a new twirly whirly snail system sitting SW of the Iberian peninsula. I was messing about with the wind map thingie and I had a wee look at the winds at different altitudes. The twirly whirly snail seems to have formed in a tight loop of the jet stream.I'm posting the screenies I grabbed at 500and 250 hPa, in that order. The green circle represents the centre of the twirly whirly snail. I share these only because I found them so amazing and beautiful. I thought they belonged in this thread because of the worry that this will hit us whilst we're still reeling from Babet. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
31 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

I'm posting these images here because it seems the nerds are in attendance and I thought they would appreciate this eye candy. In my previous post I included a sat image and a wind map image of a new twirly whirly snail system sitting SW of the Iberian peninsula. I was messing about with the wind map thingie and I had a wee look at the winds at different altitudes. The twirly whirly snail seems to have formed in a tight loop of the jet stream.I'm posting the screenies I grabbed at 500and 250 hPa, in that order. The green circle represents the centre of the twirly whirly snail. I share these only because I found them so amazing and beautiful. I thought they belonged in this thread because of the worry that this will hit us whilst we're still reeling from Babet. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

It will probably affect central and northern France rather than us with the jet at that angle.

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Looks like that little system is heading towards North Africa, not heading our way 😊

Posted

Met Office confirms yesterday was the wettest day since 15th July 1973 in Buxton when 87.5mm 09.00 - 09.00 was then recorded (that's the only date found going back 160 years.) Thursday afternoon to early this morning, Buxton has received approx 4 inches or just over 100mm of rainfall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Emz by the Thames said:

One of my sisters have been flooding out in her home in Horncastle. Apart from turning the electricity off and running a few things upstairs, she doesn't know what to do or how much worse it will get.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue says it has received 330 flood-related calls.

That's my sister's car, she didn't have time to get back from work in time to move it, it came up so quick.

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

image.thumb.png.b45b416f3547de07baae0faaf3394248.png

The sheer speed of the rises has been something very notable in many parts. This is the Severn in Bewdley yesterday. It rose something like 2 metres between breakfast and lunchtime, which is practically unheard of for a river this size. Run-off from the brooks was exceptional, but even so there's normally more time to react.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 3

Posted

Weekend ruined, massively out of pocket, and aggravated injury after wasting time walking round chaotic train stations. Good riddance to this Atlantic storm. If only we could get away with never seeing another one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Weekend ruined, massively out of pocket, and aggravated injury after wasting time walking round chaotic train stations. Good riddance to this Atlantic storm. If only we could get away with never seeing another one.

I hate the things, usually for wind, but this has been rather wet instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 hours ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Could contain:

Could contain: