Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
17 hours ago, Mcconnor8 said:

If this does come to fruition then it could well be another 2007.

Could contain:

Looks like this Arome run from yesterday wasn't far off the mark, albeit the heaviest rain further South it seems than modelled here, with Sheffield passing 100mm in areas now, should a red warning have been issued for the Derbyshire area based on runs like this?

Edited by Mcconnor8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Now our 2nd October in a row that's surpassed 100mm. Our monthly average is 57mm.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Had to go out to check some sites out on the Lincs Coast this afternoon - the surface water flooding isn't too bad (though getting worse) but the Agency were shutting all the flood gates ahead of high tide tonight and I'm not surprised given the Easterly gale blowing through. It seems to be worse further west - Horncastle is a real mess at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some interesting videos on here

WWW.THESTAR.CO.UK

Record levels have been reached at some measuring stations in Sheffield, with the water still rising

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

Looks like this Arome run from yesterday wasn't far off the mark, albeit the heaviest rain further South it seems than modelled here, with Sheffield passing 100mm in areas now, should a red warning have been issued for the Derbyshire area based on runs like this?

Got to admit bit baffled why there isn't a red. Certainly a risk to life. Still we didn't an amber a few years ago when we had an entire months rain in the afternoon.

Posted

Again I'm not usually one to question the Met Office but the situation here is dire and if it doesn't warrant a red warning then I've no idea what will

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

After going to Hull then Bradford, one thing to say:
Please, no rear fogs in rain. The pretty red light turns into lots of tiny red stars and is very nauseating. They're made for dense fog not spray.

Anyway, putting that aside, I've been occasionally catching up with what's going on. Thinking of anyone in flood zones and please be safe.

• Like 5

Posted

Thats is September 20th 2018 70mm mostly in the afternoon just a yellow warning.  Took me an hour and half to get to the dentist most of which was being stuck in the city centre.

Posted

Hipper is rapidly falling and it looks like the Rother is finally peaking, the gauge at Hady Hill reached 4.2m,  85cm above the previous high in June 2007!

However, we still have moderate rainfall and the radar looks grim 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Rained here all day nothing too heavy but the persistent nature of it will start to cause issues

Posted
51 minutes ago, Just Before Dawn said:

Had to go out to check some sites out on the Lincs Coast this afternoon - the surface water flooding isn't too bad (though getting worse) but the Agency were shutting all the flood gates ahead of high tide tonight and I'm not surprised given the Easterly gale blowing through. It seems to be worse further west - Horncastle is a real mess at the moment.

seems like we have escaped the  worse but river lud running high but the rain still falls

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
10 minutes ago, Hurricane Andrew said:

seems like we have escaped the  worse but river lud running high but the rain still falls

I think the post-2007 flood defences have done their job well - it looks like the rain is going to peter out over the next two or three hours, in which case we've got away with it (touch wood). Not that it feels that way if you're driving in or out of town - surface water is everywhere.

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Again I'm not usually one to question the Met Office but the situation here is dire and if it doesn't warrant a red warning then I've no idea what will

100% agree, for me the Met O have made a bit of a hash of this event. I suspect their focus has rightly been on the incredible amount of rain in Scotland and perhaps they've taken their eye off the ball elsewhere. 

I think they've been wrong in not reacting to the situation this morning as it developed across parts of England. A late warning (or warning upgrade) is always better than nothing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Just Before Dawn said:

I think the post-2007 flood defences have done their job well - it looks like the rain is going to peter out over the next two or three hours, in which case we've got away with it (touch wood). Not that it feels that way if you're driving in or out of town - surface water is everywhere.

The post-2015 flood defences have done brilliantly in Leeds. Here’s the weir in the city centre: 

image.thumb.jpeg.6640dd1f4beacf977f1a2838a6f86053.jpeg

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Wow I don’t think I’ve ever remembered how wide spread the flooding is for all

when looking at the river flooding maps, it’s so wide spread 

IMG_1137.thumb.jpeg.58718e80caa1df29f85f9b2500cee8bd.jpeg

RIVERLEVELS.UK

Map of Flood Warning and Alert Areas

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Just Before Dawn said:

I agree without the flood defences i reackon would be worse then 2007 dont know why horncastle failed in there flood defence probably the rain couldnt handle it

Edited by Hurricane Andrew
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal.

This is an event that will go down in history here. I have no idea why we don’t have a red warning.

Thankfully, my street isn’t prone to flooding (likely due to a slightly higher elevation than surrounding areas), but it’s horrifying and strange to see areas I frequently visit completely underwater.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mcconnor8 said:

I didn't see the impact matrix. If the amber was highest impact, but down one notch on probability that makes sense. Once you get so close to the event, it becomes up to police and local authorities IMO.

Now, could the distinction between high likelihood, strong impact and moderate likelihood, severe impact be clearer? I'd have sympathy for that argument, but believe an amber could have been justified given the existing scale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Rained here all day nothing too heavy but the persistent nature of it will start to cause issues

Just shows difference 10 mile or so down the coast makes it was dry for most of day till about 3pm and nome stop rain since in Hartlepool 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, ChezWeather said:

From what I know some of my friend ms are trapped south of Chesterfield and trying to get back North of Chesterfield and every route is blocked as far as I know. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

From what I know some of my friend ms are trapped south of Chesterfield and trying to get back North of Chesterfield and every route is blocked as far as I know. 

Probably best trying to reach the M1, some side roads on higher ground to the East of the town are still passable but the town centre is a complete write off

• Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, WYorksWeather said:

Considering I only posted this four hours ago, things are moving very fast. Headingley now at 38mm, Bradford at 49.3mm, Wakefield at 79mm.

image.thumb.png.979dc4cd4ed9464a268c9ebca6ed615a.png

That's quite a lot of warnings...

Latest update:

image.thumb.png.f516e43e010a65b4d8f9aa1a4a363a73.png

Another few warnings added.

Headingley 46.4mm, Bradford 55.8mm, Wakefield 93.2mm in the last 24 hours. Likely Wakefield will top 100mm as the rain didn't start until 1am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1