Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Storm Babet has been named and will bring very wet weather to parts of eastern England, southern Scotland and the Pennines later this week.

Yellow warnings are out https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2023-10-18&id=2986efdd-513d-485a-b2bc-8c1fefd37e83

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Storm Babet has been named and will bring very wet weather to parts of eastern England, southern Scotland and the Pennines later this week.

Yellow warnings are out https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2023-10-18&id=2986efdd-513d-485a-b2bc-8c1fefd37e83

I thought low pressures were named for wind strengths?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Indeed. I like how their Tweet says "strong winds will accompany this storm". That's similar to saying "snow will accompany the blizzard".

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Nope, just amber warnings, they think amber will appear on the warnings somewhere with this storm.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Very surprised to see this system named!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There isn't even one defined area of low pressure for the unsettled spell, it's a series of secondary lows as far as I can tell. One of the many issues I have with this naming system is that it's almost impossible to define.

Posted

To quote Met Office 

Storms are named to aid communication when severe weather is in the forecast. This can help everyone to keep themselves, their property and businesses safe and protected at times of severe weather.

I don't think it's necessarily just wind. 

The twitter post (doesn't seem to want to be posted here) does seem to show a single system to the South West 

Edited by FetchCB
Twitter link not working

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Which day is Babet supposed to be here? There are warnings for various areas from Wed's until Saturday...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

North east Scotland has a separate warning for 70-100mm widely with 150-200mm on higher ground from Thursday morning onwards . Amber or red warning potentially considering we had 70-100mm falling quite widely in this area last week… 😟 

Edited by Dundeeguy
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dundeeguy said:

North east Scotland has a separate warning for 70-100mm widely with 150-200mm on higher ground from Thursday morning onwards . Amber or red warning potentially considering we had 70-100mm falling quite widely in this area last week… 😟 

That'll probably be what this storm is named for, it's not just wind, anything that can cause problem, that's an amber warning level or above 

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

That'll probably be what this storm is named for, it's not just wind, anything that can cause problem, that's an amber warning level or above 

I agree, it was a 2 day weather event (continuous rain for 48 hours) and the met sent out an amber warning literally a few hours before it all came to an end after large swathes of land and roads were already flooded 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There's been a named storm without amber warnings as well. Zero consistency!

The amber was in Ireland for the storm you mean.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Amber warning but not named, so it can't just be amber warnings alone.

That wasn't a storm, more a ribbon of moisture that hit high land in Scotland and orographic lift did the rest. The danger of atmospheric rivers.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

So an autumnal blow ,the way the press are going on about it you would think it’s the end of days

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
18 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The amber was in Ireland for the storm you mean.

If you look back through the storm naming thread, there's many instances of amber warnings being issued, and no name given to a storm, and also named storms with only yellow warnings.

The mere fact that we're all debating this shows how much confusion the storm naming system has created.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I don't think I will be taking any notice of this if its not one big storm!

That’s the problem, warning are issued on such a regular basis nowadays, the novelty has worn off and the vast majority of people just ignore them.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

If you look back through the storm naming thread, there's many instances of amber warnings being issued, and no name given to a storm, and also named storms with only yellow warnings.

The mere fact that we're all debating this shows how much confusion the storm naming system has created.

Some storms are not named by the met, but by France or Holland for local impacts there, which would be why sometimes there's a named storm, but nothing really to write home about here. Others have there main impacts in Ireland, and people on the main land here over look those, because there was nothing here. Storms normally only have severe impacts in a small area of the country. Or whatever country named it.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

It's that forecast from 6th October that gets me.

"Amber warning, significant impacts, danger to life"  and its not named because it wasn't a low pressure?

I thought the whole idea of the system was to alert the public more to significant weather events? That was a significant weather event. 

Stationary front bringing huge rainfall totals: "Amber warning, significant impacts, danger to life", not named

Intense low bringing severe gales: "Amber warning, significant impacts, danger to life" named.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bellasdad said:

That’s the problem, warning are issued on such a regular basis nowadays, the novelty has worn off and the vast majority of people just ignore them.

Anyone who's in an amber that ignores a warning is putting them selves in danger.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It's that forecast from 6th October that gets me.

"Amber warning, significant impacts, danger to life"  and its not named because it wasn't a low pressure?

I thought the whole idea of the system was to alert the public more to significant weather events? That was a significant weather event. 

Stationary front bringing huge rainfall totals: "Amber warning, significant impacts, danger to life", not named

Intense low bringing severe gales: "Amber warning, significant impacts, danger to life" named.

I do agree, perhaps they think an amber warning is enough, but then it should be for storms too. May be they'll come up with a system for atmospheric river events. Ps the US doesn't name them either, just issue flood warnings, so I guess it's just the same system being used, the good thing is our cyclones are hopefully never going to be actual hurricanes.