Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Anyone who's in an amber that ignores a warning is putting them selves in danger.

That’s not really the point I was trying to make. It’s the frequency of warnings for something that was once considered seasonal weather that’s making people blasé.

if this goes amber, I’ll be sure to have my brolly handy.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

If another country names a storm it should be irrelevant to us. Unless the incoming weather is likely to prompt Amber warnings for rain or wind or possibly snow in the UK then it shouldn't be named in my opinion. At that point we should adopt the same name as whatever it has been given by other countries or name it ourselves if it hasn't been named yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

If another country names a storm it should be irrelevant to us. Unless the incoming weather is likely to prompt Amber warnings for rain or wind or possibly snow in the UK then it shouldn't be named in my opinion. At that point we should adopt the same name as whatever it has been given by other countries or name it ourselves if it hasn't been named yet.

That's what we are doing, but even if effects are minimal here, we keep the name, as it's a named system.

Posted
1 hour ago, Bellasdad said:

That’s the problem, warning are issued on such a regular basis nowadays, the novelty has worn off and the vast majority of people just ignore them.

Yup! T'is true!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Is this Babet? Screenshot2023-10-16at15_48_59.thumb.png.e4c4cdb00ece94e9cc3ebedbb5f1da83.png

I think so, it's forecast to slowly come over us, and as it's pushing on a high get stuck and drop a lot of rain in the east.

• Like 1

Posted

If I may make a wee point about warnings, areas of Scotland had an amber warning for rain and some areas ended up getting about 180mm in a 36hr period. That's 7 inches! We had 7 landslides on one road alone, many watercourses broke their banks, homes were flooded, one car was washed away and an elderly man was washed into the River Tay. His body has just been found in the last few days. Harvests have been washed away,crops have been destroyed,roads washed out, rail lines became canals with 4 feet of water flowing along in some places. 7 inches of rain in a 36hr period. But you see, all of this happened as south of the border people were sweltering in an unseasonal heatwave. You had to go to BBC Scotland to hear about any of this, it didn't seem to be noticed by their main page,or maybe got a wee aside. Personally I think the Met Office got the amber rain warning right, not just because of what I listed above, but also because it allowed me to be prepared for the deluge that came through the light fitting of my bathroom ceiling, gave me a chance to get wee drainage channels dug around my stables and allowed me time to clear the already falling leaves from drains in my vicinity.

So for the peeps who think no warning should have been issued when an atmospheric river is going to hit us with 7 inches of rain, how many inches of rain in such a short period would warrant a warning?

Edited to add - I'm lucky, I didn't need to worry about my horses being affected by flooding, except their stables, but there are peeps with livestock who had to get them to higher ground BEFORE they got washed away. Given that the worst of the rain hit late on the Saturday, have you any idea how difficult it can be to move livestock in the dark in biblical rainfall?

Edited by Fiona Robertson
  • Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

If I may make a wee point about warnings, areas of Scotland had an amber warning for rain and some areas ended up getting about 180mm in a 36hr period. That's 7 inches! We had 7 landslides on one road alone, many watercourses broke their banks, homes were flooded, one car was washed away and an elderly man was washed into the River Tay. His body has just been found in the last few days. Harvests have been washed away,crops have been destroyed,roads washed out, rail lines became canals with 4 feet of water flowing along in some places. 7 inches of rain in a 36hr period. But you see, all of this happened as south of the border people were sweltering in an unseasonal heatwave. You had to go to BBC Scotland to hear about any of this, it didn't seem to be noticed by their main page,or maybe got a wee aside. Personally I think the Met Office got the amber rain warning right, not just because of what I listed above, but also because it allowed me to be prepared for the deluge that came through the light fitting of my bathroom ceiling, gave me a chance to get wee drainage channels dug around my stables and allowed me time to clear the already falling leaves from drains in my vicinity.

So for the peeps who think no warning should have been issued when an atmospheric river is going to hit us with 7 inches of rain, how many inches of rain in such a short period would warrant a warning?

I'm not sure anyone is saying that shouldn't have been warned.

There are people wondering why it wasn't a named storm. The specific reason for that is, it wasn't a storm. 

• Like 1

Posted

What I noticed in the last named storm, is people don't actually bother to look if it's in their area or not. So then when we didn't have storm locally, people kept saying to me 'I thought we were having a storm, and nothing happened'. 

The idea isn't really working, because people simply hear there is a named storm and don't understand enough to be able to grasp the nettle that the whole of the UK isn't uniformly affected. 

This may mean, when there is an actual storm somewhere, people don't bother taking it seriously because they haven't understood the whole system, and may feel like there have been too many wolf cries, when in fact it's simply down to ignorance on their part. 

Actual storms over inland areas are really quite rare, so this whole storm naming thing is daft really, as mostly it's coastal areas affected, generally speaking. A few 55mph, maybe one 60mph gust isn't really a storm inland, and that's what we typically max out at, in places such as where I live. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

What I noticed in the last named storm, is people don't actually bother to look if it's in their area or not. So then when we didn't have storm locally, people kept saying to me 'I thought we were having a storm, and nothing happened'. 

The idea isn't really working, because people simply hear there is a named storm and don't understand enough to be able to grasp the nettle that the whole of the UK isn't uniformly affected. 

This may mean, when there is an actual storm somewhere, people don't bother taking it seriously because they haven't understood the whole system, and may feel like there have been too many wolf cries, when in fact it's simply down to ignorance on their part. 

Actual storms over inland areas are really quite rare, so this whole storm naming thing is daft really, as mostly it's coastal areas affected, generally speaking. A few 55mph, maybe one 60mph gust isn't really a storm inland, and that's what we typically max out at, in places such as where I live. 

If it is being named for rain impacts, in land areas will definitely be effected this time. Guess we'll find out from Wednesday.

Posted
18 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm not sure anyone is saying that shouldn't have been warned.

There are people wondering why it wasn't a named storm. The specific reason for that is, it wasn't a storm. 

I'm pretty sure in the US, they label all types of bad weather as a storm. Maybe that's the way to go, who knows. The OP has a valid point here, just because there wasn't a cyclone, anyone under 7 inches of rain would probably consider it a substantial rain storm. If storms are only cyclones then why the holy hell do we use the word storm for more than cyclones? It's really confusing. Thunderstorms, what are they then lol? I think my brain is going to explode 🧠💥🤯🤣

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I'm pretty sure in the US, they label all types of bad weather as a storm. Maybe that's the way to go, who knows. The OP has a valid point here, just because there wasn't a cyclone, anyone under 7 inches of rain would probably consider it a substantial rain storm. If storms are only cyclones then why the holy hell do we use the word storm for more than cyclones? It's really confusing. Thunderstorms, what are they then lol? I think my brain is going to explode 🧠💥🤯🤣

Don't know, but so far I've never seen a named Thunderstorm weather here or the us lol. 

Sometimes after the event like if it's effected an area bad. You get in the US storm watches and tornado watches, followed by warnings when it's know exactly where they will happen. Here thunderstorm warnings that yet again if they don't hit someone head on, they think the warning is wrong. 

Just trying to remember the name of the atmospheric river that hit California this spring was now, it may have been named, but I'm not sure.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Don't know, but so far I've never seen a named Thunderstorm weather here or the us lol. 

Sometimes after the event like if it's effected an area bad. You get in the US storm watches and tornado watches, followed by warnings when it's know exactly where they will happen. Here thunderstorm warnings that yet again if they don't hit someone head on, they think the warning is wrong. 

Just trying to remember the name of the atmospheric river that hit California this spring was now, it may have been named, but I'm not sure.

It does appear that the Met Office have moved their own goalposts this year. I'm convinced that in the early days of naming, it was cut and dried, an amber wind warning was the trigger for naming. 

Posted
Just now, richie3846 said:

It does appear that the Met Office have moved their own goalposts this year. I'm convinced that in the early days of naming, it was cut and dried, an amber wind warning was the trigger for naming. 

Nope was always any amber, I remember this exact argument, literally the first or second met warned storm.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

So any amber without a cyclone, or with a cyclone?

With I think.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

With I think.

So this is really confusing to my pea brain 🤣. If there is some sort of wind, even if it's not that strong, heavy rain on amber triggers a name, while even heavier rain, with slightly less wind, simply because it's not around a cyclone, isn't named.

There could even be a situation where stronger wind not around a cyclone, with heavy rain doesn't get a warning, and less wind around a cyclone, with the same rain, gets a warning. 

No wonder people are confused by it all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
3 hours ago, Bellasdad said:

That’s the problem, warning are issued on such a regular basis nowadays, the novelty has worn off and the vast majority of people just ignore them.

Too many warnings ,it all gets diluted with all the rest of the media nonsense these days. Won't belong before they put a warning up for Devastating Drizzle!😂

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

So this is really confusing to my pea brain 🤣. If there is some sort of wind, even if it's not that strong, heavy rain on amber triggers a name, while even heavier rain, with slightly less wind, simply because it's not around a cyclone, isn't named.

There could even be a situation where stronger wind not around a cyclone, with heavy rain doesn't get a warning, and less wind around a cyclone, with the same rain, gets a warning. 

No wonder people are confused by it all. 

The point is both types are warned with amber, and the warning should not be ingnored. If the rain wasn't warned at all, that would be an issue.

We've had a few events this year where there was the possibility of thundery rain, the warning was put out for thunderstorms, but only a few flashes were in the system. However if you read the warning it was mostly for the heavy rain. I would call that a correct warning, but a lot of arguments happen, because hlthere was no big storm. I see this as similar lol. People see the storm is named, don't read the warnings or even look where the warnings are, and then moan there was no storm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's better to have a warning when you're likely to see 200mm of rain, methinks. 🥶

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Think one of the atmospheric rivers that hit California is called the Pineapple Express.

In the case of the US sometimes it's hard to discern whether the storm name is from the US weather sevice or the media. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

Think one of the atmospheric rivers that hit California is called the Pineapple Express.

In the case of the US sometimes it's hard to discern whether the storm name is from the US weather sevice or the media. 

Pineapple express does ring a bell actually. Wouldn't work for ours though, Atlantic express, hmm, perhaps might be useable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I don’t have an issue with the named storm idea in principle, the problem I believe is how it gets reported by the media. Part of the UK may be getting affected by a named  storm, say southern England, and the media reports that ‘UK braces for Storm Nigel’ or whatever, people elsewhere in the UK think this storm will affect them when it doesn’t. There’s no clarity on which part of the UK is being affected.

Perhaps if the reporting was clearer to refer to the specific areas affected, it would be less likely to lead to people losing faith in the naming system itself.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Pineapple express does ring a bell actually. Wouldn't work for ours though, Atlantic express, hmm, perhaps might be useable.

With climate change it does seem likely that these events will become more prevelant so might become a reality 

It may instill in the general public of the type of danger rather than a generic weather warning 

• Like 2