Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Babet

Summer Sun

Posted

Rother at Hady Hill now at 3.02m, 30cm away from topping the 2007 record, crazy stuff 

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

Sadly, another loss of life

A second person has died as Storm Babet brought high winds, torrential rain and severe flooding to parts of Scotland.

Police have confirmed that a falling tree hit a van near Forfar in Angus on Thursday evening, killing the 56-year-old driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No big deal here really, a wet day but not exceptionally so. Looks like the heaviest rain will stay to our south.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Certainly an unusual situation we have going now..

Gales or severe gales from the east further east and inland north..

image.thumb.png.c27d59401e218f5c9b263765fa9565d0.png

Huge Scandi block..

And record rainfall even here 1.4inches of rain since breakfast..

Heavy thundery type showers yesterday but without the thunder..

So 3.3inches of rain in 2 days currently..

Posted

Catastrophic affects on the roads here, it's absolute carnage. Went to go somewhere and had to turn back because it's all gridlocked. No flooding though everything's fine with the weather, just a typical day on Burton's roads.

• Like 2

Posted

I expect that the unusual wind direction potentially makes gusts more dangerous than a typical SW-erly as perhaps trees are a little less resilient to a force from a different angle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
35 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Isn't today start of english half term holidays, not great timing for anyone taking to the roads to make an early get away. Friday afternoons are always busy, but this one probably more so than usual.. 

It's the following week for us in Worcestershire, but I expect some places are this coming week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Looks like around Warwickshire and West Midlands it's more localised for now compared to north Midlands, but still some issues appearing. Heavy rain here seems to be stationary at the moment over me, 30mm so far since midnight.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
25 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Rother at Hady Hill now at 3.02m, 30cm away from topping the 2007 record, crazy stuff 

Looks like most Chesterfield river records are going to go. The Hipper is already over its 2007 level

Im a bit further north in South Sheffield and the rain as been relentless for s few hours now.

Edited by adrianh
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, FetchCB said:

The issue I don't understand is that the Met Office issued a red warning on Wednesday Lunchtime ,so will have been briefing civil contingency ahead of that , and yet it took the local council 24 hours to order evacuations.

Surely in that lost 24 hours more time could have been spent not only convincing people to evacuate  but also giving them time to move valuable items upstairs.

Surely people could have reacted to the red warning too. The council waited till the environment agency said order evacuations, I get that. Red warnings are put up for a reason, so those in effected areas can prepare, it got ignored completely by some, and I'll never get it. The evacuation was done in plenty of time, it's just stubborn people stayed. There was time to help those who needed help, you'll probably find they are not the ones who stayed.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
1 hour ago, Thunder Snow said:

The metoffice have issued a second red warning for Scotland 

Sounds like they need to order another somewhere further south too, along the line of heavy rain.

Posted

River Hipper in Chesterfield has now topped the record levels of June 2007. Never though I'd see the day that some of those records fell but here we are, and we still have persistent heavy rain. All stations in the town look likely to break their all time level record. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Shaunado said:

I expect that the unusual wind direction potentially makes gusts more dangerous than a typical SW-erly as perhaps trees are a little less resilient to a force from a different angle.

Storm Arwen a case in point, northerly gales caused widespread damage across the Lake District. An event that warranted a red warning, alas we were under a yellow warning only.

The easterly winds today are strong over the Lake District, an unusual direction. 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Surely people could have reacted to the red warning too. The council waited till the end agency said order evacuations, I get that. Red warnings are put up for a reason, so those in effected areas can prepare, it got ignored completely by some, and I'll never get it. The evacuation was done in plenty of time, it's just stubborn people stayed. There was time to help those who needed help, you'll probably find they are not the ones who stayed.

In the states prior to an evacuation order being issued the authorities will issue a notice to say be prepared to leave, I think given the not just he rare red warning but the language being used ,unprecedented rainfall etc, then communication could have been sent telling people to be prepared to be evacuated.

I will hold my hands up and say I don't live in the area so have no knowledge of whether this was done but neither have i seen any evidence to say that it has.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

It's the following week for us in Worcestershire, but I expect some places are this coming week.

Yep here it's half term starting Monday, people will be making get aways from this evening, I would imagine anyone going north would hold off, I hope anyway.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Always confuses me. Used to be last week October. The week 30 Oct is post clocks going back, better to have them this week coming I feel.

Posted
5 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

In the states prior to an evacuation order being issued the authorities will issue a notice to say be prepared to leave, I think given the not just he rare red warning but the language being used ,unprecedented rainfall etc, then communication could have been sent telling people to be prepared to be evacuated.

I will hold my hands up and say I don't live in the area so have no knowledge of whether this was done but neither have i seen any evidence to say that it has.

I'm sure somewhere near the beginning of this thread I read something about this, but might be wrong, think perhaps people don't actually know what certain river warnings mean, or perhaps don't even look. Also someone reported getting a text on there phone, but I don't know where they were or what it said.

Posted
16 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

River Hipper in Chesterfield has now topped the record levels of June 2007. Never though I'd see the day that some of those records fell but here we are, and we still have persistent heavy rain. All stations in the town look likely to break their all time level record. 

Will be interesting to see how high it goes - at least another couple of hours of heavy rain according to the radar, and even after that rain will continue into the evening,. Rush hour will be fun!

Posted

Just put some picture and video in the members gallery, taken at Bridlington Harbour around midday. At the coast wind more of a problem than rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

South Shields lighthouse loses its dome as storm Babet smashes the North East coast

WWW.SHIELDSGAZETTE.COM

South Shields lighthouse is missing its distinctive red and white dome after it was torn off by the ferocious sea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

We're now heading into the realm of unprecedented here. 4 of the 8 river level gauges in the town are already above their all time highs.