Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm ready to hand out more valium 😂

They'll need uppers by 10 am tomorrow.

All aboard the big dipper!! Put your hands up in the air. Whoo and Weee all the way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, TN26 said:

All aboard the big dipper!! Put your hands up in the air. Whoo and Weee all the way.

Hahahahaha 🤣

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Polar low and channel lows to the rescue 😂

Definitely a potential snow maker for your back yard! 👍

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Definitely a potential snow maker for your back yard! 👍

Won't happen!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Won't happen!!

Probably not! 😔

3 minutes ago, TN26 said:

All aboard this!

image.thumb.png.d6d1e43c6f1fe3a8efb67960441efd6b.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

Bbc and met aren't showing the temps that the models are showing for next week..rather annoying

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
31 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

dont think 2018-19 was classed as an El Nino as there was never a 3 month period that met the threshold to be classed as one

It just about got there, was very weak though, possibly one of the weakest El Ninos ever. Only 2004/05 looks weaker since 1950:

image.thumb.png.6c2e7c532eeba55b8fefd470d9074af1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Who needs soaps when you have internet forums! Firstly, I will say that when you don't read them/ignore the hype and moans you really get a desensationalised look at things - I still think things look great! And even when they're not, unless you or a loved one's house is directly being flooded, burned down or blown away there's really never a need to be that despondent about it. Wasted time arguing over something that is supposed to be a fun, odd little interest. There's never gonna be any fun in it if a bad run or opinion gets you in a bad mood. Another thing I would like to say, and it's not a conversation starter because I don't want to talk about the topic here, but there are some things that go beyond opinions and they become basic facts due to decades of research and analysis and I do not believe those things should ever be minimalised. Having said that, we all have our opinions and some won't change, and that is much less harmful than the real enemy who isn't you or me, it goes way beyond that. 

Now back to current topics. I don't remember what the forecast for today was but I was surprised it was cloudy all day. So excited to see where we head this month. I really hope we have a cold January. I really hope 2024 gives us some old-school weather.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

February 7th birthday here, I hope you get what you want! I'm going away to Austria for my birthday so I should see decent snow but nothing is guarenteed.

A tad? You're optimistic!

I bet it is! Here in Kent we've barely seen a frosty morning for a year now, let alone snow.

Oh god, as an intermittent asthma sufferer I hope you get better soon! The post-viral cough is the worst! I've had both COVID and a deep chest infection this cold/flu season so far and it's not been so nice. I'm over the worst of it now but dear god I hope I don't get ill again this winter.

Indeed, let's hope this is an extraordinarily backended one and from mid-Janaury to March we get some proper cold spells with snow and all!

Going to Austria? I presume you're walking or cycling to get there?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
27 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

And even when they're not, unless you or a loved one's house is directly being flooded, burned down or blown away there's really never a need to be that despondent about it.

One things for sure, the house won't suffer from a snow-induced catastrophe.

Posted
21 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

One things for sure, the house won't suffer from a snow-induced catastrophe.

I suppose unless a Day After Tomorrow snow event crushed it. 🤣 

Posted
5 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

I suppose unless a Day After Tomorrow snow event crushed it. 🤣 

Or in the UK version: crushed by freezing rain.

Posted
10 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Or in the UK version: crushed by freezing rain.

That happened in Canada back in January 1998. One of the worst ice storms to ever hit them, it literally crushed houses and trees.  Crazy.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
5 hours ago, Paul said:

Enough already. Please head over to the climate area to discuss the science of climate change. Bearing in mind that the forum guidelines across the board ask everyone to stay respectful..

Well said Paul! Sticking to the topic discussion and respecting the guidelines and each other is an absolute must for this great community!

Posted

Typical. The Ock Valley is the wettest place than anywhere else in the whole of southern and central England just at the point where there is a flood warning:

image.thumb.png.942d0df3cc5f1cc7437b614042fc12b8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
10 hours ago, Gregulator said:

Bbc and met aren't showing the temps that the models are showing for next week..rather annoying

Agreed best I can find next 10 days is  sleet on 18th. Nothing remotely matching the excitement of the model thread. There has never been any cross model agreement for deep cold.

Screenshot_20240106_084150_Chrome.jpg

Daily Express on board final nail in the coffin 😢😢😢

Screenshot_20240106_091111_Chrome.jpg

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, stewfox said:

Agreed best I can find next 10 days is  sleet on 18th. Nothing remotely matching the excitement of the model thread. There has never been any cross model agreement for deep cold.

BBC weather symbols, the holy grail of weather forecasting 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, gales, snow, thunder and more snow
2 hours ago, stewfox said:

Just like their weather warnings, everything is last minute. Why ? Imagine the panic if they said ‘next week the uk hits the freezer’. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

A glorious "winters day" today, very much spring - like ,  daffs are making an appearance as they do here in Jan.  Glad to see the back of the protracted period of incessant wind and rain.
Sunny, light northerly flow and a warm sun to boot , perfect for outdoors activities, in my case , the continuation of gardening work.
"make hay whilst the sun shines" as "they" say

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Dare i watch the GFS 06Z said:

I dunno about you guys but when it's -17,6 at noon it's getting quite ridiculous 😂🥶

Daytime frozen hell 2.png.png

Hey, at least it's not raining 😉

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I think South West Ireland have become the new South East England. Sunnier than just about everywhere else now for well over a month and counting. I've been looking at the satellite quite a bit and even on the cloudiest days, they are the only place with at least some sunshine and the cloud seems to evaporate around that region as though it is running into a forcefield. Do they have a cloud-buster device recently set up there or something? Lol.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

I think South West Ireland have become the new South East England. Sunnier than just about everywhere else now for well over a month and counting. I've been looking at the satellite quite a bit and even on the cloudiest days, they are the only place with at least some sunshine and the cloud seems to evaporate around that region as though it is running into a forcefield. Do they have a cloud-buster device recently set up there or something? Lol.

Yes I have noticed Cork and Kerry are doing very well these last few weeks especially around the christmas period and obviously we are in full on sunshine for now countrywide..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
10 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

obviously we are in full on sunshine for now countrywide..

Only partly sunny in my area, and now pretty much fully overcast. As I type this it's actually just started raining as I can hear it on the conservatory roof. Obviously the forecast had/has 0% chance of rain, but it'll still rain nevertheless of course because it's England. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2