Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

At this point I'm mostly enjoying the high pressure despite not getting my snow fix (There was some flurries last evening but it all melted in the sun). Clear blue dome day today which is perfection. Any high pressure is welcome whether it be a big fat Bartlett with 18c and far fetch southerlies from Africa or a Scotland high bringing cold NElys and -2c. Just keep that westerly zonal muck away for a bit at least my local river looked scary high could have been a nasty flood in my area if one more Atlantic low had turned up. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, snowblind said:

I'm not an expert but it would be a combination of 850s, dew points, wet bulb temperature, surface temperature and probably some other things. You would struggle to get snow falling with 850 temp above 0 but at or just below is possible usually with fronts moving into cold dense lower level air. The classic example would be fronts approaching from the south west with a south easterly wind ahead drawing cold air from the continent, assuming there is a cold enough supply of air there.

In the situation where you have 850s above zero but surface temperatures are at or below freezing you'd most likely get freezing rain where the rain freezes on contact with the still frozen ground.

But like I say there are lots of factors involved and it's not easy to work out. I'm sure there is a detailed explanation on here somewhere that explains the factors required for snow to fall.

Thanks for the explanation so probably why its so tricky to forecast (for next week) with a front moving in from the SW where it could snow even allowing for highish 850's

Posted
1 hour ago, cobbett said:

Thanks for the explanation so probably why its so tricky to forecast (for next week) with a front moving in from the SW where it could snow even allowing for highish 850's

Indeed. Very tricky forecasting snow in this country. Details are not clear until much nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Much better Winter's day today!

Me & Duke were pleased to finally see a blue sky again!

20240109_140832.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Jersey has had rare snow today, with 1-2cm falling at sea level and up to 5cm on higher ground.

Schools closed early and shut the airport for several hours.

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2024-01-09/channel-islands-wake-up-to-snow

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Metwatch said:

At long last, skies look like this today👌

Not often for easterlies to be this clear in the middle of winter but it does happen time to time. Strong breeze so I imagine the windchill is quite potent. Air temp nearly 4°C. 

20240109_140724~2.jpg

more likely than June, here suffers from north sea filth, can last all day and feel cold, Jan dosen't bring the muck

• Like 1

Posted

Bye bye cold - Hopefully ECM follows this much milder GFS suite. Big upgrades for those that dislike the cold.

Mad thread in meltdown - avoid at all cost. 

IMG_6768.thumb.jpeg.387a07cb7455ece0a3d594775e6cf323.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, Alderc 2.0 said:

Bye bye cold - Hopefully ECM follows this much milder GFS suite. Big upgrades for those that dislike the cold.

Assume you are rain lover then? cannot understand this post, fine wanting early Spring, dry/warm 19C in Feb, but wanting 10 degrees and rain, no thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Assume you are rain lover then? cannot understand this post, fine wanting early Spring, dry/warm 19C in Feb, but wanting 10 degrees and rain, no thanks

Not a rain lover, seen way too much in the last two months , but a complete hater of cold. Was painful to walk outside yesterday and as someone who’s suffered from bad back injuries the less cold the better. The difference between 2C and 10C is huge. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

more likely than June, here suffers from north sea filth, can last all day and feel cold, Jan dosen't bring the muck

Wind direction I guess is key, it's stronger and more direct easterly today rather than NE'ly which will be on Thursday. Also airmass at 850hPa. Warmer airmass arrives by Thursday and so with it a lot more moisture and low cloud from North Sea.

03_60_rain_rate.png

03_60_850_temps.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
4 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Not a rain lover, seen way too much in the last two months , but a complete hater of cold. Was painful to walk outside yesterday and as someone who’s suffered from bad back injuries the less cold the better. The difference between 2C and 10C is huge. 

understandable > mild and rain being the lesser of the two evils for you mate

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

I'm watching a USA severe weather live feed on YouTube with 36,000 others.

Blizzards, flash flooding, 90 mph wind gusts and tornado warnings. 

I wouldn't trade in my 10 minutes of graupel from yesterday for all their excitement.

• Like 3

Posted

This morning when I  first looked at Netweather the highest temperatures in the UK of 5C were very unusually at  Lerwick Shetlands and the Scilly Isles. Unusual, probably never happen again, but the circulation of the high  just shows what happens when we lose the continental easterly as is predicted in the next couple of days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

That probably means more rain which is the last thing anyone wants after the deluges of October, November and December. Don't care if it's cold or not, just keep the rain away.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
35 minutes ago, 10 Days Away said:

I wouldn't trade in my 10 minutes of graupel from yesterday for all their excitement.

What channel you watching? Fox weather live? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.

I’m not keen on cold weather, but it’s winter and seeing the sun makes it bearable.  I really don’t understand the apparent love in the MOD thread for “deep cold”. However it’s snow I really hate, makes the roads dangerous, pavements tricky and generally screws life up. I’d be happy never to see it snow again in this country.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

What channel you watching? Fox weather live? 

Ryan Hall

Posted

you cant make it up in the MAD thread, this morning the ECM didnt have a clue, doesnt model upstream well, cant trust it as so many differences run to run. now its thrown out a good run its everyone's darling again

And they will do it all again tomorrow .. its a parody of itself at this point

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

you cant make it up in the MAD thread, this morning the ECM didnt have a clue, doesnt model upstream well, cant trust it as so many differences run to run. now its thrown out a good run its everyone's darling again

And they will do it all again tomorrow .. its a parody of itself at this point

They're like cats. Sit by the warmest fire of the day (or hour)

Edited by 10 Days Away
Addition
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Racer said:

I’m not keen on cold weather, but it’s winter and seeing the sun makes it bearable.  I really don’t understand the apparent love in the MOD thread for “deep cold”. However it’s snow I really hate, makes the roads dangerous, pavements tricky and generally screws life up. I’d be happy never to see it snow again in this country.

what we both want then is my favourite setup, lows attacking from the SW, with mild air S of M4 and staying there after the snow

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

God bless

Posted
Just now, SunnyG said:

God bless

contradictory to your name, shouldn't you be called RainyG, going by your username, you should have enjoyed today

• Thanks 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, 10 Days Away said:

Awww poor USA

Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

contradictory to your name, shouldn't you be called RainyG, going by your username, you should have enjoyed today

Just like Alderc, I am not a rain lover, but a cold hater. Lesser of two evils 😉

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Racer said:

That's exactly how I feel. Deep cold is not only dangerous because of ice on roads and pavements, but it's bad for the health too. People may like it, but it ain't good for them...

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, SunnyG said:

That's exactly how I feel. Deep cold is not only dangerous because of ice on roads and pavements, but it's bad for the health too. People may like it, but it ain't good for them...

I imagine some people who claim to like it, never go out in it. Otherwise, why would they be excited about next week possibly having days where it's less than 4c, when it's actually already like that this week?

• Like 2