Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Whilst we wait for the 12z ensembles to update, worth taking a look at the potential storm candidate for next Thursday.

UKV worst on Thursday morning (not updated to UKV 15z yet):

image.thumb.png.b772a40c4bdc54d2b080474b282dde26.png

Arpege has arrival slightly later:

image.thumb.png.11e981235fc956af2d21f95cbba63ec7.png

GFS similar to Arpege:

image.thumb.png.e966f8e7df18fba96ea69cd4585465fe.png

ICON really nasty for western Scotland:

image.thumb.png.907e7541d4684940693d0ed612f9e634.png

Worth noting that ECM and GEM seem to pretty much miss to the north on their 12z runs, so no guarantee this will happen.

ECM has impacts restricted to the very far north of Scotland and islands, as does GEM. Should be noted that these are mean wind speed, so not entirely comparable to the other charts, but clear that most of the UK should avoid any significant impacts.

image.thumb.png.ebed64215d9383c2c3db4421a14ee922.png image.thumb.png.20f4ed10261c7980f4d06093990cbfee.png

Well worth watching these over the coming days.

Edited by WYorksWeather
  • Like 2

Posted

@MATTWOLVES 3 I have literally never interacted with you but have of course seen your sad news on here tonight. So sorry for your loss. We lost my father in law this time of year 6 years ago. It really makes the feelings at this time difficult to process but just know whatever you go through over the coming months is totally normal. Please reach out if you need help. I’m sure the entire community is with you x

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's like groundhog day.

The Oz are poor then the 12z deliver apart from the ECM 12z ops.

Surely tonight the ECM op comes on board as it would be a surprise to see a big difference between the ECM and UKMO at t+144.

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Have you even looked at the statistics? Out of 30 mild Septembers resulted 0 colder than average winters, 20 cold Septembers 12 resulted in cold Winters? It is a statistical link not physical yes, but still highly significant and not to be played down by bias.

Why would a specific 30 days period in the Earth's orbit (September) have an affect on the weather of a specific 90 day period (winter) in the Earth's orbit of which there are 61 days between the two periods?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Murray991 said:

Screenshot_20231217-170945_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b65eb21d9e5597c233452069a1fa516e.jpg

Just for fun. Would be a Christmas to remember. 🤪

Love it another of those "IF" events that are unlikely for the models to get correct, a bit like a lot of others right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
40 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Yeah, who would have thought. NH view makes even better viewing - yes it may get watered down and be less cold by 26/27th - but defo a festive feeling Xmas IF it happened - a nudge of heights into Greenland then snow certainly on for places even in the south by Xmas day . Cmon ECM !! 

IMG_1876.png

IMG_1877.png

What is it with weekend flip flops? I note someone mentioned 24th to 26th but defo less reliability run to run over weekends, hence I am waiting till tomorrow afternoon's for a better picture

• Like 1

Posted

Things were already looking much more positive earlier on with those much improved mogreps runs. So I'm not surprised to see a decent ukmo and improved gfs. Need to see a decent ecm this evening. That should help to settle a few nerves. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's like groundhog day.

The Oz are poor then the 12z deliver apart from the ECM 12z ops.

Surely tonight the ECM op comes on board as it would be a surprise to see a big difference between the ECM and UKMO at t+144.

We want something along ukmo lines.

Ukmo has hardly been consistent though so who knows..

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like a Flash Gordon evening so far . Just when you thought it was over he stages a miraculous escape .

An improvement in the models but we do have the recent grinch model to come .

The last few weeks the models seem to have really struggled with these upstream shortwaves .

• Like 5

Posted

I think our future northerly/cold snap depends on whether or not this little feature blows up or not. Only 3/4 days away from it spawning so should soon find out. 

GFSOPNH12_96_1.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Looks like a Flash Gordon evening so far . Just when you thought it was over he stages a miraculous escape .

An improvement in the models but we do have the recent grinch model to come .

The last few weeks the models seem to have really struggled with these upstream shortwaves .

Your showing your age now Nick. Not many will know who Flash Gordon was lol 😆 

Extraordinary developments, with the Icon usually close to ECM I'm confident of a good run! The ukmo really is the best sofar

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Interesting that the ensemble mean 850mb temps actually hit the lowest point on the 27th now, post the expected brief cold shot.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Icon, JMA, and Gem have zero use for our shores, absolute fodder

Sorry but that's inaccurate. The Jma and GEM have been far more consistent the last few days than the so called big 3. They all have their use imo

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
13 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

What is it with weekend flip flops? I note someone mentioned 24th to 26th but defo less reliability run to run over weekends, hence I am waiting till tomorrow afternoon's for a better picture

Flight data?. Not heard that this Christmas must be due now ? 😎

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

Your showing your age now Nick. Not many will know who Flash Gordon was lol 😆 

Extraordinary developments, with the Icon usually close to ECM I'm confident of a good run! The ukmo really is the best sofar

Very funny . In my defence when I was a kid I used to enjoy watching the repeats over Christmas. So not as old to watch the originals ! 

It’s certainly been an eventful day so far . It’s a race between the troughing edging se and the upstream low edging east .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, stewfox said:

Flight data?. Not heard that this Christmas must be due now ? 😎

It will be along soon along with “west based, uppers, Bartlett, etc etc!😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

OK, let's keep on topic and any problems report or discuss with the MOD team.

Thanks all

Condolences Matt 🙏 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3