Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
9 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Just because you don’t understand something or don’t want to take the time to learn, it doesn’t make it “waffle” 👍🏻 

The GSDM is firmly based in science & is a diagnostic tool to understand the drivers and subsequent atmospheric response, those that follow the GSDM have been flagging this cold period far longer than NWP modelling has. 

I am sure GSDM is a useful forecasting tool, but there hasn't been a cold period yet.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

It’s well advertised across all ensemble suites, regardless of details on snow we are going to be entering a prolonged period of below average temperatures, continuing to cool as time progresses. That much is clear. 
IMG_4159.thumb.png.ca2d1d0ca18b5b328c24b6edac8ed314.png

6-8c below normal in places - ice days 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

It’s well advertised across all ensemble suites, regardless of details on snow we are going to be entering a prolonged period of below average temperatures, continuing to cool as time progresses. That much is clear. 
IMG_4159.thumb.png.ca2d1d0ca18b5b328c24b6edac8ed314.png

Ah yes, another 10 day+ chart. However, I could be persuaded after a further 20-something runs.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, The Enforcer said:

Ah yes, another 10 day+ chart. However, I could be persuaded after a further 20-something runs.

Yes that keeps getting pushed back abate the cold, the teleconnections in my opinion aren’t the best in predicting cold nirvana runs, they are good in pushing them back through 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Temperatures fall below average at day 5. The broader picture from there is clearer, HP dominating with temperatures continuing to fall before a possible re-amplification attempt. 

Nothing in the outlook suggests a quick return to mild or above average temperatures so we can be pretty confident about a protracted below average period. 

That’s not really precise if the high collapses and the new high fails to build after next weekend it will be normal service resumed, highs eventually decline there are so many factors in play. 7 days out is Fantasy Island as you know there is no guarantee prolonged spell being shown as of yet. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Seems quite a few are underwhelmed this morning..

Let's look at this from a different angle -

It's rained for weeks and weeks since early Dec ,we are now looking at a period of seasonal weather with the potential for frost fog and even some snow showers as winds switch NE for a short period ..

There is room for upgrades IMHO -

Yes, very true.

Get the HP over us, Ice days are a possibility with fog and frost around.

With all that cold setting up to the NE and into Europe we are always in with a shout.

And ......And if there was encroachment from the Atlantic a snowy breakdown of the cold could be in the offing.

• Like 3

Posted

The METO forecast still seems on point with this mornings runs.

IMG_2190.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The METO forecast still seems on point with this mornings runs.

IMG_2190.png

Today's update shouldn't change, I don't see why it would. 👍

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, MJB said:

Today's update shouldn't change, I don't see why it would. 👍

I hope the longer range changes to “ the chance of severe cold Is extremely likely” - although that’s extremely unlikely!! 😬

• Like 4

Posted

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions but I'm personally a firm believer in telecommunications- 9 times out of 10 from my POV,if telecommunications are not supportive of a UK cold spell it  won't happen.

I freely admit a lot goes over my head but the above I believe to be true.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I hope the longer range changes to “ the chance of severe cold Is extremely likely” - although that’s extremely unlikely!! 😬

That WILL happen one day, that I have no doubt. We experience extremes, be it Summer or Winter.

Let's hope it's soon

• Like 2