Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Is that the first -9 of the season I spy close to east Anglia.

Be great is disturbances pop up at short notice on Friday.

ecmwfuk-1-90 (1).png

Hmmm forget -9 i see a -10 on the far right👀!!bring it to me🤤🤤❄️!!!!is it an upgrade on the 00z so far mate?!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Haha perhaps a tiny one, I'm interested to see how much blocking is retained around Greenland at 144 on the 12z runs

Let me know the control run pans out then👌!!!just on my deliveries!!!4 degrees and rain!!horrible!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
6 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I think the mogreps 6z ens have trended a tad colder..even for the far SW..encouraging signs perhaps.

mogreps850london.png

mogreps850aberdeen.png

mogreps850birmingham.png

mogreps850manchester.png

mogreps850plymouth.png

Was expected with the slight Azores low south adjustment on the UKMO 06z compared to the 0z, the track of the Azores low is by far the key factor in increasing the Greenland blocking and therefore longevity of the cold.

If it tracks further North then it begins interacting with the low to the West of Ireland on Thursday morning and this makes the low deepen significantly which hinders the blocking into Greenland.

Edited by Mcconnor8
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

image.thumb.png.c33e1987e397d8512e37c85f7f085163.pngimage.thumb.png.fffbbd8f9926ec3afe39aa372620926c.png

• Like 2

Posted

In grand scheme of things personally I like seeing that low go further south as it has opened up the UK for a much colder solution which will work out better in the long run.

Won't be looking at any snowfall charts until the day before if this pattern pans out as they would only be picked up in the shortest of time frames with accuracy.

Edited by AdrianHull
  • Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I think the mogreps 6z ens have trended a tad colder..even for the far SW..encouraging signs perhaps.

mogreps850london.png

mogreps850aberdeen.png

mogreps850birmingham.png

mogreps850manchester.png

mogreps850plymouth.png

Yep.. all appears to have dropped a degree or so with far less scatter except plymouth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It seems all things being equal the lows to the west will end up south of the UK which means we will then be relying on showers / troughs in the Easterly flow ( Thurs/ Fri)..

We then look at ssts / upper air temps/ pressure etc etc etc..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Darren bet pointing out the Low most likely staying South and a chance of much colder air moving in from scandy towards the weekend! And we all know Darren loves the mild. Keep the low away and let's get some proper cold in I say.

Yes sir 

• Like 2

Posted

If we can get Eastley winds on weekend where the sea temperatures are still warm will that be like lake effect snow so to speak when that cold air blows over ? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

Looks like even the SE could get ice days image.thumb.png.c11bad3bd363b9b1606077fabe54cbc6.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Just now, iceman1991 said:

If we can get Eastley winds on weekend where the sea temperatures are still warm will that be like lake effect snow so to speak when that cold air blows over ? 

Wintry mix most likely for the immediate 10-15 miles inland, best chance of snow further inland before the showers evaporate.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

I think we’re seeing why it’s so vital to get that low to stay as far south as possible on Thursday now, it brings in deeper cold and then let’s see where we go from next weekend onwards.

I know some were hoping for snow from it, and I understand that as we’re all so snow starved in this country. But I feel that would have been sacrificing any potential longevity of this spell.

Things can still go very wrong of course, but this low going south and missing the UK gives us the best chance going forward imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.3f5fd1baddf6a0838f4c790dba29ba2d.png

• Like 2

Posted

One possibility in the long term is that we could get proper cold in December but we get stuck under high pressure which leaves us with getting cold weather but no snow which would be a disappointment 

Posted

One question, how low do uppers have to be to get ice days? I'm quite new to this as you can see by my rank

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Jacob said:

One possibility in the long term is that we could get proper cold in December but we get stuck under high pressure which leaves us with getting cold weather but no snow which would be a disappointment 

I personally don't see much of an attack from the Atlantic incoming, think it'll stay either cold or very cold...plenty of chance for snow, especially further East and Central areas.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1