Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
36 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

A SSW could have screwed up a favourable trop set up, remember the SSW on 1st January 2019, it was followed by forecasts of 0f (-18c) temperatures in February, we got 18c alright but it was plus 18c not minus!

Good Morning,

If I remember correctly 2019 was a minor warming with a displaced vortex over Europe. It looked promising at the moment, but nothing seriously wintry came out of it. 

Weeks of Easterlies without a cold Europe led to cloudy and foggy weather.

Edited by AO-
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
21 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Don’t want to reopen yesterday’s argument, but the mechanisms that were modelled to lead to the SSW were tending to split the vortex at all levels not just the top, so they (the mechanisms, not the SSW) would have impacted more directly (well, I think so anyway), as well as the later downwelling from the SSW.

The same mechanisms that created the SSW are still happening just w/less amplitude, the vortex isn't split but it's still going to be significantly 'hurt'. The teleconnections are still favourable just a more transient signal maybe.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The Ukmo and icon both have a favourable polar profile with the vortex segments more separated and the polar high inserting itself into the gap. That should allow better WAA upstream and a more stable block at a higher latitude.  

I think there are a few twists and turns on this yet. The trend is unmistakably for the first amplification to bring a slowly se sinking surface high and a nor’easter of sorts which gets cut off (maybe not so in the se of England depending on the euro trough) 

then the second amplification to follow currently looks like it might be better - I think that will depend on the polar profile at the time and whether the split is sufficient to allow the polar high to assist.  It could easily end up a rerun of the first attempt. 

The latest ICON doesn't separate the vortex at 120h

Posted

Those in the more favoured areas hoping to see some snow need to hope the ECM op is correct because less cold uppers simply won’t cut it to produce snow showers off the North Sea .

Even then the window is relative narrow , though of course a window is better than no window !

• Like 1

Posted

EC doesn't seem favourable this morning, but for my location it hasn't downgraded (a lot). Still on schedule for the 8th wrt cold and maybe even sooner as more members show cold(ish) from the 6th. Beyond the 10th is FI, even though the trend is not very promising. There is not enough CAA before the block appears, because the Scandinavian block is still present and merges with the Atlantic ridge. In the West there is not enough CAA to keep a proper angle and get a HLB. In my opinion these are details at the moment.

eps_pluim_tt_06280.png

Edited by AO-

Posted
23 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Incorrect.  Because of the Canada warming stressing the trop the impact would have been pretty instant 

How come we didn't see any instant effect in the model outputs then?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Gowon said:

The latest ICON doesn't separate the vortex at 120h

Yep it is slightly worse at day 5 but the 00z began to move apart between days 5 and 6. The 06z does look less likely to follow the 00z run. 

16 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I have  been ruminating about a possible second bite of the cherry 🍒 this morning..

EC 46 collapsed the pattern last night so that is nagging away ,hopefully a better ec46 this evening ..

Didn’t like that run yesterday - too many euro heights showing.  could be becoming a trend aswell second half jan as recent runs have shown. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Bottom end of its suite but not a cold outlier.

Im not getting this despondency today over a cold spell that really never was forecast to start until high pressure moves in.

Writing off Jan on 31st Dec is brave.

Screenshot_2023-12-31-09-31-37-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I think It's going to be a slow burner

candle-4478396.thumb.jpg.73ebaba860a9b271db93123fc78f9f1f.jpg

Have many of us got the patience and stamina though? 🤪😂

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

This is a trend we really don’t want to see but does seem to be gaining traction. High pressure becoming UK based rather than higher amplitude. 
IMG_4146.thumb.png.94f8b44b6300fa25107a6ff14292ecaa.png

Cold yes, but snow risk would be rather non existent. Hopefully we start to see a trend back towards something more amplified. 

It would fit in with the UKMO  outlook. Cold and dry at first, with the chance of snow increasing going into the second week of January 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

When MOST of the models are showing similar to this for around the 7th I think if we get here we will all be happy to take it, why are we obsessing over what will happen after the 7th? Even that’s a week away and fi so will be subject to changes, there’s no way on earth any models have the correct outcome for 7,8,9 and yes 10 days away. It’s trends we want that’s all. It’s all looking good at this stage and at least we have a chance 

IMG_7528.png

IMG_7529.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Some a little disheartened in here today so just want to bring this post from Tamara yesterday back to attention. 

The outlook going forward continues to be one supportive of a -NAO, the first attempt at high latitude blocking may end with a UK high but plenty of opportunity still exists beyond that & it seems likely we’ll see further attempts with cold never too far away. 

I’m not convinced any of this is resolved yet. 

To add a chart to your argument. Second attempt coming. Eventually I guess that the WAA will connect to the Polar hp

ECMOPNH00_240_1.png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted

Not seeing the enthusiasm shared by some- we can’t seem to maintain a high lat block across most model suites, we can’t seem to tap into the brutal cold east of us. There is no longevity to this currently, at best a high bang over us.

Wintry nirvana this ain’t, sustainable cold neither. All v sobering this morning compared to where we could have been a week or so ago pre the SSW projected collapse.

Still not seen even one deep freeze run - says it all.

Currently in Estonia, fresh fall over night -8 max daytime here today. Proper winter!

IMG_6975.jpeg

Edited by weathercold
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, weathercold said:

Not seeing the enthusiasm shared by some- we can’t seem to maintain a high lat block across most model suites, we can’t seem to tap into the brutal cold east of us. There is no longevity to this currently, at best a high bang over us.

Wintry nirvana this ain’t, sustainable cold neither. All v sobering this morning compared to where we could have been a week or so ago pre the SSW projected collapse.

Just look at the GFS assembles over the last day or so, there are lots of deep cold/snowy nirvana clusters! Every cluster is certainly a possibility to one degree or another.

Posted
1 minute ago, DCee said:

I don't want to say I told you all so but.....

The ECM lacked the detail and as such has moved towards the GFS.

The details you mention are far from what GFS had in mind. I don't agree that EC moved to GFS. There are too many details in this evolution to come to where we are. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
6 minutes ago, weathercold said:

The ECM yesterday morning was near enough a deep freeze?

Posted
27 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

The same mechanisms that created the SSW are still happening just w/less amplitude, the vortex isn't split but it's still going to be significantly 'hurt'. The teleconnections are still favourable just a more transient signal maybe.

So if we had got the major split the chances of a cold spell lasting longer would have been greater. It seems  Mike Poole  and you are in agreement  on that. No cold spell will hang around forever anyway. If we manage to get two or three snowy  days out of this I'll be happy.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Just look at the GFS assembles over the last day or so, there are lots of deep cold/snowy nirvana clusters! Every cluster is certainly a possibility to one degree or another.

ECM ensembles big step back today - Mike posted