Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Mild damp… owls 🦉 out and about… off to stalybridge to run a few errands… then over to Denton to drop off a few things and pick up a few remaining Christmas bits n bobs… hopefully a bit brighter with some sun ☀️ today… 

Had Worse are you off to Edinburgh today? Hope you have good journey and fun festive time away… Edinburgh is lovely 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Mild damp… owls 🦉 out and about… off to stalybridge to run a few errands… then over to Denton to drop off a few things and pick up a few remaining Christmas bits n bobs… hopefully a bit brighter with some sun ☀️ today… 

Had Worse are you off to Edinburgh today? Hope you have good journey and fun festive time away… Edinburgh is lovely 

Your dealing going well then? 🤣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Feels a bit cooler this morning on the dog walk, but the light rain just started. Forecast all over the place for the coming week, hope there isn't too much constant rain.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Much brighter morning after some overnight rain feels mild in the still air 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Thursday evening.  Hope the winds don't play a part in scuppering the train journey. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Cooler here today, 8ºC - some light rain but doesn't feel as heavy out there as it did yesterday!

Re 2010 - no videos to show; they all got lost when Photobucket went crappy

But I remember the super-hard frosts that weighed all the tree branches down around us; I'd never seen that before. Around -17ºC I think the coldest was here and the tree branches were more or less hanging right down to the ground

The River's Ribble and Darwen which are within spitting distance of us too had started to freeze; again, never seen that before in my life - my Dad said the 62 & 63 winters he remembers them freezing right across, more so on the shallow slow areas in Walton le Dale and towards Avenham etc

Probably once in a lifetime; but it was amazing to see

• Like 7

Posted

Having trouble signing in but wonder if members have any views on likely severity of winds on Thursday. Have got son travelling by train through the north west 

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, PaulM said:

Having trouble signing in but wonder if members have any views on likely severity of winds on Thursday. Have got son travelling by train through the north west 

Interesting that the yellow weather warning covers such a wide area of the UK. My view is that the further north you go, the worse the wind will be, as not  un-common at this time of year, Also the East may be affected by the NW wind coming off the Pennines and there is talk of a North Sea surge. I wish your son a safe journey.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

There is a huge volcanic eruption in Iceland right now. I hope that would help bring colder weather in the new year as ash cool down our part of our world maybe.

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Interesting that the yellow weather warning covers such a wide area of the UK. My view is that the further north you go, the worse the wind will be, as not  un-common at this time of year, Also the East may be affected by the NW wind coming off the Pennines and there is talk of a North Sea surge. I wish your son a safe journey.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Actually I’m borntobemild (based in Crewe) but Netweather was determined with my new phone that I was PaulM - my old ID when we lived in Middlesbrough. Sigh. Worse further north would selfishly be good 

• Like 7

Posted

Something weird in the distance in the sky here... It's blue 🤨

image.thumb.png.bc0d2d28611e5a1073e164fbc15a52d0.png

• Like 6

Posted

A few from 5th January 2010.

An interesting drive to work through south Manchester. Gave up with the parkway and ended up going through Stretford and Trafford Park before finding a jack-knifed HGV blocking Centenary Bridge. Yet another diversion up to Salford Quays and past a snowy Old Trafford.  

Never occurred to me that it was a 1:20 year event.

Interesting to see what caused the snowfall. The chances of a repeat in January 2024 is looking slim 🙂

image.thumb.png.9b4cf158f8f6a1aafb652c2b7fe48d17.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Thursday evening.  Hope the winds don't play a part in scuppering the train journey. 

Proper Kilt Lifter 😳

• Like 6

Posted
39 minutes ago, Dan B said:

Something weird in the distance in the sky here... It's blue 🤨

image.thumb.png.bc0d2d28611e5a1073e164fbc15a52d0.png

Yep, can see the clearance to my NW too, a brighter afternoon ahead.  A cloud lifter is a mood lifter. 

Screenshot_20231219_111256_Chrome.jpg

20231219_111329.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

Yep, can see the clearance to my NW too, a brighter afternoon ahead.  A cloud lifter is a mood lifter. 

Screenshot_20231219_111256_Chrome.jpg

20231219_111329.jpg

Yup; blue skies here now. Makes a lovely change, unexpected too/hadn't noticed it forecast...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

It's almost as if December 2010 seemed to take up most of our allocation of snow; as since then we've had small amounts; Jan 2013 & Feb 2018 were probably the best. Everything else has been a dusting.......

• Like 8

Posted

Cycling into work was pretty depressing with it still being dark by the time I got to work and misty rain that just soaks through everything. But then the sun magically made an appearance so went for a stroll at lunchtime.

How bad is Thursday going to be with the wind? Not much chat about it in the model thread, just lots of toy throwing.

• Like 7

Posted

Clouded over here now again, 7.5ºC and the direction of the clouds has changed...

It's incoming...

Got the fire lit too, these painkillers make me feel the cold more than I'm used to unfortunately 🤨

IMG_0779.thumb.jpeg.852b8ebc539f7a4599ef662f2169ab74.jpeg

Edited by Dan B
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Nice bright day been through to ulverston for property fire inspection which passed well 😳 back home ready to light fire and an impromptu beer👍

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

7.0 degrees in a bright and breezy marginals this afternoon, following a grim and gloomy morning. Got some jobs done-pear tree pruned, compost heap no. 1 dug out and onto veg beds with no rats present which is always a bonus! My 'bucket accidently left out overnight' rainfall monitoring station suggests close to an inch of rain last night. seems a lot, can anyone confirm?

• Like 6