Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Finally caught some of the clouds on partial clearance 

• Like 7

Posted

It's been wild here in lowland South Manchester.  Much gustier than I was expecting.   Went for a walk a couple of hours ago and my Apple Watch gave me a loud noise notification!  104 decibels.  I was being buffeted about and the wind was literally screaming at that point and looking at the radar it looks like we were on the edge of a squally downpour.  

One fence panel down in the garden.  Seems to be abating a little down but there's still the occasional rattling gust.  Have 3 wheelie bins needing to go out tonight for collection in the morning but I think it may be wise to hold off for another hour or two............

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A drier interlude around the middle of the day here, but it's been a dark amd blustery afternoon since with a continual feed of showers with gusty winds.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

A wild day with lots of squally showers feeling cold in the wind too ☔️ 

• Like 6

Posted

Yep a howling, gusty and persistent wind all day from the early hours.  Well forecasted... not an easy day for landing planes that's for sure. My main back garden is East facing so thankfully furniture & bins quite sheltered from the North westerly.

Not the best day for doing any festive shopping.  Online wins on a day like today. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
36 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Thank goodness this is the shortest day of the year. After today's offering, it will be good to look forward to long days of sun and heat! 

I like cold and snow but the darkness is the one thing I don't like about this time of year. Unfortunately we don't really see the benefit of extra daylight until probably late January at the earliest really. A day like today and you can still need your lights on in the afternoon well into February.

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

Stranded at Mcr Airport.. fly delayed 5h.. need those winds to start slowing down…

Been watching  Manchester airport on the streams all day. Bit of pot luck really whether the pilots got the planes down or not. There was a streak of 4 planes in a row that went around at one point followed by a good run of landings.

Think there was one Ryanair flight which diverted to Luton after a couple of landing attempts in the early morning, took off from Luton later in the day and had another three attempts at landing at Manchester before going back to Luton again!

Must be a nightmare for scheduling with planes and crews in the wrong place. Probably a similar story at some of the other airports as well.

The wind really has been relentless today, still heavy gusts coming through. When is it supposed to die down? I'm getting fed up of the house creaking.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
29 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Been watching  Manchester airport on the streams all day. Bit of pot luck really whether the pilots got the planes down or not. There was a streak of 4 planes in a row that went around at one point followed by a good run of landings.

Think there was one Ryanair flight which diverted to Luton after a couple of landing attempts in the early morning, took off from Luton later in the day and had another three attempts at landing at Manchester before going back to Luton again!

Must be a nightmare for scheduling with planes and crews in the wrong place. Probably a similar story at some of the other airports as well.

The wind really has been relentless today, still heavy gusts coming through. When is it supposed to die down? I'm getting fed up of the house creaking.

Very good report there my friend.. ohh well patience 5h to go to our delayed flight..

• Like 6

Posted

Still a really lively wind here. Not as strong as early this morning, but sufficiently strong to need a bit of effort to open the door against the wind. Looks like we may continue to see gusts touching gale force into this evening for a time.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

I like cold and snow but the darkness is the one thing I don't like about this time of year. Unfortunately we don't really see the benefit of extra daylight until probably late January at the earliest really. A day like today and you can still need your lights on in the afternoon well into February.

I may be in a minority with this, but I don't actually mind the shorter days myself, and as someone who is not the heaviest of sleepers, this time of year is actually preferable to me compared to the summer months, and the longer nights and more comfortable temperatures in the house mean I usually sleep better and longer in winter. 

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, raul_sbd said:

Stranded at Mcr Airport.. fly delayed 5h.. need those winds to start slowing down…

Ouch feel for you… Hope you are back in Barcelona soon 🎄🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼

Had Worse did you manage to get your train to Edinburgh? Hope so 🤞🤞🤞

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It’s certainly been a wild day, especially mid afternoon here when a bit of a brighter clearance was quickly followed by one of the longest squalls I can remember giving us almost an hour of torrential rain, blown horizontally by howling winds.

Thankfully the car had a lucky escape this morning when 2 of our wheely bins were blown across the drive missing it by inches.

all in all a fully justified weather warning.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

It’s certainly been a wild day, especially mid afternoon here when a bit of a brighter clearance was quickly followed by one of the longest squalls I can remember giving us almost an hour of torrential rain, blown horizontally by howling winds.

Thankfully the car had a lucky escape this morning when 2 of our wheely bins were blown across the drive missing it by inches.

all in all a fully justified weather warning.

That’s the thing here too… really squally strong gusts for duration of showers but then a lull until the next shower… very pretty pictures across region and Yorkshire of nacreous clouds… constant cloud and showers here so didn’t see it 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well fancy that, its raining and we are sort of ln our way to Edinburgh. 

Short notice cancellation at Manchester Piccadilly has moved everyone waiting for the Edinburgh train to jump on a Blackpool North one. 

We have been told that the Edinburgh train will be leaving from Preston. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
2 hours ago, severe snowstorm said:

I may be in a minority with this, but I don't actually mind the shorter days myself, and as someone who is not the heaviest of sleepers, this time of year is actually preferable to me compared to the summer months, and the longer nights and more comfortable temperatures in the house mean I usually sleep better and longer in winter. 

Yeah me too actually. To be honest I'm not a "sun worshipper". We've had issues in our family with melanomas and I've got some benign ones on my chest from years ago, maybe even from as a kid when I was out with friends, as they can take years to start, the ones I've got aren't serious mind you as a lot of people do get them, it's how they continue to develop in the future and change that you've got to look out for, you probably know this anyway from hearing about it all. So we all have to be careful not to get burnt or spend too long out in the sun without protection, 30 mins is enough in the summer. Each to their own but I cannot sit out for hour upon hour like people do here or on foreign holidays. A tan is nice for sure but years later you end up looking very leathery if you do it too often.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Rush2019 said:

I must admit, I got very, very lucky that the brief break in the cloud coincided with a break for some air at work.  A couple more pics, such a shame I'm not good at photos.

20231221_101155.jpg

20231221_101158.jpg

Very pretty 🤩 yes you were lucky 🍀 

just having a traditional pre go away curry with a few friends… hammering it down out…

Glad Had Worse you're on train to Edinburgh 👌👍 have great time 🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼🎄

Raul glad you’re at the airport hope you are up in the air soon 🇪🇸 

Good evening everyone and merry pre Christmas Thursday 🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼🎄

• Like 6

Posted

Finally after utter chaos and 3 platform changes at Preston, we are on are way to Edinburgh. 

20231221_210753.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Very pretty 🤩 yes you were lucky 🍀 

just having a traditional pre go away curry with a few friends… hammering it down out…

Glad Had Worse you're on train to Edinburgh 👌👍 have great time 🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼🎄

Raul glad you’re at the airport hope you are up in the air soon 🇪🇸 

Good evening everyone and merry pre Christmas Thursday 🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼🎄🎅🏼🎄

1h to go after 7h waiting in the airport..

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
4 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

1h to go after 7h waiting in the airport..

It’s a jaffa cakeser got stuck in Rome a few years  ago for 8 hours made worse by a 15 hour flight from Santiago Chile 😟

• Like 5

Posted

Just left Lockerbie.  

Strangely,  35 years today, the Panam 747 N739PA crashed on the town.

20231221_225149.jpg

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 4