Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Linda said:

Apparently not! It was some orange taupalin blowing look closely there’s no smoke

Lessons will be learned with the first and second ones being not to use fire coloured tarpaulin and then make sure it can’t flap about in the wind😂

thankfully no one was hurt and the long ladder can be returned to the even longer shed.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Was hearing on BBC Radio Manchester that some insurance companies had refused claims because the wind was only 30 mph so couldn't have caused that sort of damage.

Unbelievable!

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

Was hearing on BBC Radio Manchester that some insurance companies had refused claims because the wind was only 30 mph so couldn't have caused that dort of damage.

Unbelievable!

As you say unbelievable, I always say insurance is a rip off, biggest con going

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
Just now, Weather-history said:

How can a lump of metal catch fire? Did that not occur to anyone?  What can burn in that area? Its above the viewing area. 

I’m no firefighter 👨‍🚒 but it seemed to briefly stump them too! 😄🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Doesn't surprise me about Stalybridge as I'm not a million miles away from there, 10 mins in a car in this part of Audenshaw near the Dukinfield border and we had torrential hail about 11pm last night and everything got blown over in the garden, of course that's nothing compared to the damage seen in Stalybridge, just after xmas too not what people need at this time of year at all or anytime for that matter but worse now. Hope you got things sorted @WillinGlossop. Most roofers would've shrugged their shoulders and said maybe next week I can sort it, seems like you have reliable contacts, not normally the case these days as not many people want to help others.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

66cm of snow not bad going in Japan. Look at those huge piles near the road 😮Hard to get 6cm these days here lol

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Are they genuine strikes to my north-east currently? Any reports?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Decent storm here at the moments, a few flashes of lightening, plenty of thunder and rain/hail battering against the windows.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Decent storm here at the moments, a few flashes of lightening, plenty of thunder and rain/hail battering against the windows.

Thanks for confirming. Just developed out of nowhere.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

66cm of snow not bad going in Japan. Look at those huge piles near the road 😮Hard to get 6cm these days here lol

I guess it's a wee bit nippy over there? Apologies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just had a flash of lightning and a clap of thunder with a lot of rain 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Thanks for confirming. Just developed out of nowhere.

Sorry but I only saw your post after I’d down mine otherwise I’d have responded to yours.

Still rumbling away and probably as much T&L as we’ve had in a single storm all year.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/Snow/Storms
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I can confirm Rossendale had the storm but not stopped raining.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
40 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

How can a lump of metal catch fire? Did that not occur to anyone?  What can burn in that area? Its above the viewing area. 

International red oxide it burns like rocket fuel ,not 😂

• Like 5

Posted

Just talking to daughter on FaceTime and she jumped as the loudest crack of thunder and brightest flash of lightening hit where she lives.

the storm has reached Sowerby Bridge and is still going on.

• Like 5

Posted
38 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Doesn't surprise me about Stalybridge as I'm not a million miles away from there, 10 mins in a car in this part of Audenshaw near the Dukinfield border and we had torrential hail about 11pm last night and everything got blown over in the garden, of course that's nothing compared to the damage seen in Stalybridge, just after xmas too not what people need at this time of year at all or anytime for that matter but worse now. Hope you got things sorted @WillinGlossop. Most roofers would've shrugged their shoulders and said maybe next week I can sort it, seems like you have reliable contacts, not normally the case these days as not many people want to help others.

Been really lucky 🍀 had roofers all over assessing houses… one guy was doing four rooves on our street… managed to fix it in four hours… completely retiled around the chimney, sealed and fixed the chimney… had to put some roof felting back as was torn… so so so lucky… very strange how end chimney, our chimney four doors down, four doors down chimney all taken out… those inbetween all fine… then at bottom roof caved in…  just count our lucky stars we didn’t have tree through roof or roof ripped off… 

exhausting day… knackered… some planned jobs done… should get most we didn’t do today done tomorrow 🤞🤞…  have to go back to house again tomorrow to sort a few jobs…  can’t believe one ridge tile did so much damage… fell through metal drain cover (cut it in half) and cut through waste pipe… 🤢 need to get that sorted tomorrow 🙈🙈 

first job tomorrow garage haircuts on bar stools 😂🤣😂🤣 

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Just talking to daughter on FaceTime and she jumped as the loudest crack of thunder and brightest flash of lightening hit where she lives.

the storm has reached Sowerby Bridge and is still going on.

It's quite a storm. I don't know what is sustaining it and  I don't know what triggered it. Crazy. 
we wait four months for any meaningful convective activity and then we get loads in two days. What is special about this set up?

• Like 6

Posted

Is that another one developed further south?

Ashton

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Been really lucky 🍀 had roofers all over assessing houses… one guy was doing four rooves on our street… managed to fix it in four hours… completely retiled around the chimney, sealed and fixed the chimney… had to put some roof felting back as was torn… so so so lucky… very strange how end chimney, our chimney four doors down, four doors down chimney all taken out… those inbetween all fine… then at bottom roof caved in…  just count our lucky stars we didn’t have tree through roof or roof ripped off… 

exhausting day… knackered… some planned jobs done… should get most we didn’t do today done tomorrow 🤞🤞…  have to go back to house again tomorrow to sort a few jobs…  can’t believe one ridge tile did so much damage… fell through metal drain cover (cut it in half) and cut through waste pipe… 🤢 need to get that sorted tomorrow 🙈🙈 

first job tomorrow garage haircuts on bar stools 😂🤣😂🤣 

😂 I did hairdressing at college in the early 00's but in the end decided to pursue something else. I get bored pretty easily that's my problem and want a dabble at everything lol but I'm thinking of getting more qualifications, I just think I'm a bit old now at 38 to really start out properly in a salon etc as most are early 20s that do haha. Should have gone back to it ages ago tbh.

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Dark Horse said:

😂 I did hairdressing at college in the early 00's but in the end decided to pursue something else. I get bored pretty easily that's my problem and want a dabble at everything lol but I'm thinking of getting more qualifications, I just think I'm a bit old now at 38 to really start out properly in a salon etc as most are early 20s that do haha. Should have gone back to it ages ago tbh.

I’ve never been a fan of small talk in men’s barbers… but since Covid we’ve cut each others hair… in the garage (in better weather on the patio) on a bar stool and have done ever since…

Good luck to you if you do want a change of work and enjoy it… think that’s what most people would like… a job they enjoy… and good work/life balance…. If you do open one please don’t open one in Glossop… every other shop/unit is now a hairdressers/barbers… most of them when I go passed are empty… not good… 

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

I’ve never been a fan of small talk in men’s barbers… but since Covid we’ve cut each others hair… in the garage (in better weather on the patio) on a bar stool and have done ever since…

Good luck to you if you do want a change of work and enjoy it… think that’s what most people would like… a job they enjoy… and good work/life balance…. If you do open one please don’t open one in Glossop… every other shop/unit is now a hairdressers/barbers… most of them when I go passed are empty… not good… 

Cheaper for you anyway to cut your own hair and yeah I'm not one for barbers myself, not been for years, so long now that I cannot remember exactly so I just go to a lady unisex hairdresser. Last time I went to a barbers it was mostly blokes next to me talking about/complaining about women or talking about boxing and cage fighting etc. Not my cuppa tea to hear about people being basically beaten up and get giddy about it, but obviously that's mostly a straight bloke thing so I respect that if they get a thrill out of it fair play to em, they are wired differently. I just feel a bit out of place in that kind of establishment, almost like walking into an gun slinging western Saloon haha. I'm just a bit more fabulous that's all. 😂

• Like 7