Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
32 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Cheaper for you anyway to cut your own hair and yeah I'm not one for barbers myself, not been for years, so long now that I cannot remember exactly so I just go to a lady unisex hairdresser. Last time I went to a barbers it was mostly blokes next to me talking about/complaining about women or talking about boxing and cage fighting etc. Not my cuppa tea to hear about people being basically beaten up and get giddy about it, but obviously that's mostly a straight bloke thing so I respect that if they get a thrill out of it fair play to em, they are wired differently. I just feel a bit out of place in that kind of establishment, almost like walking into an gun slinging western Saloon haha. I'm just a bit more fabulous that's all. 😂

We used to go to the Turkish barbers near Tesco… there wasn’t much talk, which we preferred and if you wanted they’d wax your nose hair 😂🤣

but I much prefer doing it ourselves… easier and cheaper and just get it done 👌👍

also my niece in New Zealand has given birth last night to my great nephew Feliks (Polish 🇵🇱) so Paddy and I are grand uncles and my brother popping up is a grandad 👴🏻 🤣😂 his youngest daughter who’s 2&1/2 is an aunt 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
45 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

We used to go to the Turkish barbers near Tesco… there wasn’t much talk, which we preferred and if you wanted they’d wax your nose hair 😂🤣

but I much prefer doing it ourselves… easier and cheaper and just get it done 👌👍

also my niece in New Zealand has given birth last night to my great nephew Feliks (Polish 🇵🇱) so Paddy and I are grand uncles and my brother popping up is a grandad 👴🏻 🤣😂 his youngest daughter who’s 2&1/2 is an aunt 

Speaking about Poland I am now on my partners village around 15 km to the Russian border and about 1.30h driving east of Gdansk.. surprising the 6c we have currently as most of winters here doesn't go above 0c.

@WillinGlossop hopefully you get all sorted.. mad weather seems back in the UK.. 

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, raul_sbd said:

Speaking about Poland I am now on my partners village around 15 km to the Russian border and about 1.30h driving east of Gdansk.. surprising the 6c we have currently as most of winters here doesn't go above 0c.

@WillinGlossop hopefully you get all sorted.. mad weather seems back in the UK.. 

cheers 🍻 all sort of sorted… 👌👍🤞 

yes that’s crazy usually arctic tundra style weather there…  hopefully you get some proper wintry weather with these systems flowing through… ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️☃️⛄

• Like 7

Posted
On 27/12/2023 at 19:40, A Face like Thunder said:

What better way to spend my **th birthday than in the Blackpool Tower ballroom dancing with Mrs FLT and partaking of a delicious afternoon tea. The weather may have been foul outside but it was certainly dry and warm indoors. Now all I need is for my favourite team - Crystal Palace - to stuff Chelsea this evening and I shall be a truly happy man. 

Interesting that as we came out of the Tower, the rain was clearing and blue sky was taking its place from the West for the last hour of daylight. And, as we came down the M55, there was a rainbow to die for which lasted all the way to Preston. If only there had been a pot of treasure waiting for us at Preston!  

As well we didn't go to the Blackpool Tower today it seems! As for the Palace.....

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
NEWS.SKY.COM

There is a 'greater than normal' risk of snow in January, the Met Office has warned, though forecasters say it is too soon to tell if a so-called 'sudden stratospheric warming'...

Nothing us weather geeks don’t know but interesting the MO & others are making noise around January cold/ SSW prospects. Reminds me of the build up to Feb 2018 BFTE / Jan 2013 👀 🥶 ❄️ 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme.
3 hours ago, iand61 said:

Sorry but I only saw your post after I’d down mine otherwise I’d have responded to yours.

Still rumbling away and probably as much T&L as we’ve had in a single storm all year.

My mam also confirming thunder,  lightening and rain in Crawshawbooth. I miss home. 

Edited by algernon
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A dry start to the day here with just a few clouds, 6.3C. A showery day is forecast, but nothing showing on the radar anywhere near here at present.

It's another year that has absolutely flown by as we approach the new year.

Encouraging signs of the potential for some more sustained colder conditions and risk of snow as we head through January, but some settled weather with some crisp cold days and frosty nights would also be most welcome after the wet conditions over the past few weeks.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

7ºC and blowing a hoolie here still; but it's dry for a change which is good...

• Like 7

Posted

Nothing particularly cold in the ensembles atm.

ens_image.thumb.png.f32f39eb45cc64b2891c920b4037c0f0.png

Signs of a pressure rise though, which should dry things a bit.

ens_image(1).thumb.png.2405fd5c65c3c9b259a8dfb34a3967d3.png

More seasonal 2m temps as a result, but hardly freezing.

ens_image(2).thumb.png.31781df6d95e5bb25bad53a2dc26fddb.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 minutes ago, Dan B said:

7ºC and blowing a hoolie here still; but it's dry for a change which is good...

No such luck over this side of the county, not raining at the moment but the ground is wet from an earlier shower and looking at the radar it should be coming down again now.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
13 minutes ago, iand61 said:

No such luck over this side of the county, not raining at the moment but the ground is wet from an earlier shower and looking at the radar it should be coming down again now.

Don't get me wrong; everywhere is sodden still. Back gardens a mess as the soakaway can only take so much and then it just backs into the garden/greenhouse etc.  But it drains off in an hour now and not days like it used to!

It's not raining for now which is great; we've actually got blue skies above us too!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

After a bright start it has clouded in here. Dry at the moment, but for how long? Plenty of showers out West, but so far are being gobbled up by the Welsh Hills.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Dry here though clouds have increased feeling bitter in the stiff wind 

• Like 7

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

2023 is now the 7th wettest year on record for the region.

About 2/3rds of this year's rainfall has fallen in the second of this year.

1917.8 mm here so far for 2023.

Currently 5th wettest over last 54yrs.   Same manual daily Met Office gauge on same unaltered site.

Here still to beat years 2000,  2012,  2017 and 2020.  Latter holds the record with 2009.6 mm.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Always amazes me how wet 2020 ended up being after the lengthy dry spring period starting around the same time as lockdown.

I suppose a wet first three months and spells of heavy rain/ storms throughout the summer put it where it is but it certainly doesn’t stick in my mind in the way that 2007 and 2012 both do.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
13 hours ago, algernon said:

My mam also confirming thunder,  lightening and rain in Crawshawbooth. I miss home. 

Our time will come again. Remember june? Epic

• Like 5

Posted

It shows how desperate things have become when I’m telling the world that we’ve just had a short heavy shower with a bit of sleet mixed in with the rain😂

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Our time will come again. Remember june? Epic

A look back over 2023 for storms around my location, there was only one of note on 9th July, a few flashes, rolling loud rumbles and pea sized hail.  On many occasions distant lightning and rumbles heard but Macc not favourable for a full on assault.  Many parts of the region did fare well for storms this year, some having a few rounds in one day.  Who else had an epic storm this year?

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

A look back over 2023 for storms around my location, there was only one of note on 9th July, a few flashes, rolling loud rumbles and pea sized hail.  On many occasions distant lightning and rumbles heard but Macc not favourable for a full on assault.  Many parts of the region did fare well for storms this year, some having a few rounds in one day.  Who else had an epic storm this year?

Our best one was yesterday evening, beat anything we had during the summer.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some heavy showers with occasional lightning now just off the coast.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5

Posted

12 thunder days  this year, 6 in June alone.

14 separate events, 7 in June. 4 overhead storms, 3 in June.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

6-5 C  and ...................dry(!) in the marginals. Amazing-got a few outside jobs done.  Looks a bit wild again tomorrow, but at present we appear to have missed out on any warnings. Some excitement in model land about a gradual move to  dare I say it........colder.

• Like 6