IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Update 😬😃👍🏻

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

I love the build up to and Christmas period but NYE I find is  the most underwhelming night of the year, weather is never great for any outdoor event,  you have to buy tickets to get in anywhere half decent, you are lucky to get one drink from the bar as its so busy and you have to phone several times to get through and queue out the door to even order and collect a takeaway absolutely bonkers - the best NYE I think I have had is back in my uni days when I lived in London, friend of mine had a top floor flat in Golders Green overlooking Hampstead Heath, house party, lots of free drinks, enough buffet food to keep an army going and you could see the fireworks light up the London sky as the clock struck midnight.

A quiet night in with a curry, cocktails and Jools, trying to keep the dog calm with the fireworks for us tonight I think though but wishing everyone a very Happy New Year whether going out or staying in - lets see what weather and extremes 2024 throws at us.  The 12z GFS seems to have got the underwhelming memo tonight too, a bit of a NYE party pooper tbh with it not even getting properly cold - personally still think January holds the potential to be a cold opener to the year, even if its just slightly below average and drier with a few frosts but lots to be resolved and keep us interested at the moment. Drier weather would be welcome after a wet autumn and early winter for sure! 🙂 

• Like 8

Posted

Fortunate to have escaped the regions rain today here south of region in East Chesh, mainly overcast.  Mildish evening 7° C, dry still and not blowing a gale.  Fireworks are going off already.  A pleasant evening around here, shame the rest of the region not dealt the same hand.

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

I love the build up to and Christmas period but NYE I find is  the most underwhelming night of the year, weather is never great for any outdoor event,  you have to buy tickets to get in anywhere half decent, you are lucky to get one drink from the bar as its so busy and you have to phone several times to get through and queue out the door to even order and collect a takeaway absolutely bonkers - the best NYE I think I have had is back in my uni days when I lived in London, friend of mine had a top floor flat in Golders Green overlooking Hampstead Heath, house party, lots of free drinks, enough buffet food to keep an army going and you could see the fireworks light up the London sky as the clock struck midnight.

A quiet night in with a curry, cocktails and Jools, trying to keep the dog calm with the fireworks for us tonight I think though but wishing everyone a very Happy New Year whether going out or staying in - lets see what weather and extremes 2024 throws at us.  The 12z GFS seems to have got the underwhelming memo tonight too, a bit of a NYE party pooper tbh with it not even getting properly cold - personally still think January holds the potential to be a cold opener to the year, even if its just slightly below average and drier with a few frosts but lots to be resolved and keep us interested at the moment. Drier weather would be welcome after a wet autumn and early winter for sure! 🙂 

Good summary Joe. 
All the best. 

• Like 5

Posted

The Dog. She not daft again going nowhere. Neither am I either on a blustery Hogmanay even with all that Scottish blood in me. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 those days have long since gone as well as my mountaineering knees 🥺

IMG_8038.thumb.jpeg.5c90c426123b8fd402554f68ccd7c3ce.jpeg

An evening for reflection and a few Drams. 

All the best to the NW Comm crew from us here down on the lowland Fylde 

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshireoak said:

Better sort of day today-didn't get wet! Temps topped out at about 6.8C, 6.2 now. Rained hard in the night, no values sorry forgot to leave out a random bucket.-checked the river Dane earlier today though, flows up and rising by the look of things so no fishing yet!  Huge excitement in model land-could it be that the pattern is actually going to change?

Happy New year all when it comes-here's hoping for colder, frostier, drier, brighter weather and possibly some snow.

Lucky. I'm glad i went out for a walk early. Been raining here since around midday, stopped around half an hr ago. Just in time to be able to walk up to the pub 😀. Have a good new years eve all. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I'll wish everyone a Happy New Year and pray that the daffodils don't come up too early next year.

Having a different New Year's Eve being guests of @WillinGlossop.  Hope the rain holds off for the fireworks 🎆 later.

• Like 9

Posted

Rain has stayed away since lunchtime but some more to come apparently before we finally say 'good bye' to 2023. 

Louise L was talking of more rain to come until Friday after which a large area of high pressure moves in for the weekend and thereafter. With winds then coming in from an easterly direction, it seems we may not come out of this change too badly, unlike my friends on the North Yorkshire coast and moors, we shall see.

A Happy New Year to you all and I look forward to continuing the discussion next year, tomorrow in other words. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Happy new year guys quiet one for me with rum ,wife and Netflix 👍👍

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A few sporadic strikes off Crosby.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

A few sporadic strikes off Crosby.

Plenty of heavy rain and hail in New Brighton

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Been following the models and reading the Mad thread and it looks like a stupendously boring uk high. Bored with the whole saga. 

• Like 6

Posted
18 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Been following the models and reading the Mad thread and it looks like a stupendously boring uk high. Bored with the whole saga. 

As long as we get a break from the rain I'll be happy. 

• Like 8

Posted

Happy New Year, shame about the weather being miserably wet yet again, I wonder if 24 will be much of the same of this boring mild and damp weather we've had most of 23

• Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

I'll take the high pressure.  The last 6 months  of this year have been the wettest second half to a year since 2000.  We are lucky there hasn't been serious flooding but if January carries on in the same vein and with the ground waterlogged, flooding chances are just going to increase.  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Difficult to know if you are coming or going in the mad thread in regards to cold potential, it's either optimism or pessimism. So I shall not go in there for a few days and just look at the ensembles myself and what not, I suspect we will have a proper consensus by then on will it or won't it turn a lot colder as we go into the New Year and on that note hope you all have a good one. People already setting fireworks off round here haha.

• Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Last occasion nowhere in the region recorded any precipitation or the regional total was 0.00: 16th October

image.thumb.png.f68a3e02a21f9c4b4e9f40b0e33a7ac5.png

Rain every day here for the last 14 days. It's that a meteorological anti-drought?

Still, it was ok this morning and I got some tidying-up jobs some in the garden. Indoors only though after lunch: packing up all the books in the living room to move them upstairs (with the bookcases) into the office. A real "out with the old, in with the new" job for NYE.

Happy New Year everyone!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

6ºC here; rock n roll with the fire roaring and the washing out on the maidens like Annecker's Midden 😂

Bed time for me, eyes are swimming with the painkillers I'm on

Here's to a better 2024 weather wise; Happy New Years folks. All the best 👍🏼

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A soggy end to the year here with frequent heavy showers streaming in.

Anyway, happy New Year to all.

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'll take the high pressure.  The last 6 months  of this year have been the wettest second half to a year since 2000.  We are lucky there hasn't been serious flooding but if January carries on in the same vein and with the ground waterlogged, flooding chances are just going to increase.  

Drove back from mums across town 15 mins ago.  Really heavy torrential rain, water rights across some roads.  It just has to tip it down right to the dying minutes of 2023.  Feel sorry for anyone out there now with their fireworks.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Still here litre of rum in though I’m beginning to fade 🍾👍happy new year guys 

• Like 5

Posted

Happy 2024 y'all, may it be full of snow, thunderstorms, volcanoes, what-ever meteorologic & geologic process takes your fancy. I'm now sobering up and aiming for another 1000 days of sobriety over the next 3 years with travel & photography being the main expenses eating out of the savings made from abstinence. 

The weather looked dire to have headed up to Werneth Low in the end, but i'm hoping to see my first clear sunrise of the year sometime over the next few days.

• Like 8