Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

It's an interesting week ahead , and to be honest for mid January I'll take just being in the game for a bit of snow as there has been many a year where is been mild dross. It's definitely getting colder and we have a variation of NW flows forecast for our region 👍🏽

Let the games begin. 

Edited by Slidergate '17
Missed a sentence
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

0.5ºC here now; clear skies and temps dropping...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

I have to admit, I am surprised that the updated text forecast for the region is still the same as earlier for Weds and Thursday, given the warning issued earlier. I suppose they have been clever with the wording, saying 'probably' drier. Anyway, they'll certainly be a lot of nowcasting this week, as is often the case with snow. I'm not expecting Tuesday to deliver much here. The main interest for me is Weds into Thursday in the showery regime with the flow backing to the NW.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

As a few have suggested, Country File just starting on Beeb1.  Interesting to see it's forecast.

At what point of the programme is the forecast, it was much easier back in the day.

• Like 6

Posted
35 minutes ago, Slidergate '17 said:

It's an interesting week ahead , and to be honest for mid January I'll take just being in the game for a bit of snow as there has been many a year where is been mild dross. It's definitely getting colder and we have a variation of NW flows forecast for our region 👍🏽

Let the games begin. 

And it's pretty much best type of weather to deliver any snow to us. But, it is Manchester and has always, and will always be marginal

• Like 7

Posted

Just had a wander outback and the cold feels different tonight....heavy, pervasive and the type that clings too you... must be the polar air in situ.  Expect a rapid fall in overnight temps.  Local lake already showing signs today of a crispy icy top... might thicken in next few days.   As for ❄️..?  I'll only be certain...if & when it's falling. 

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, The Northern Ramper said:

At what point of the programme is the forecast, it was much easier back in the day.

The farming forecast used to come on just before the programme ended. Think  it still does.

• Like 8

Posted

Clouded up most of the day alas after a lovely  bright start.   

N wind lightish, so no need to cringe.

Forecasts suggest there could be quite a lot of sun this week apart from Tues.  

So nice to have the ground drying up even though the cold is penetrating more.   

Max today 3.9C.     2,2C now.

Hunger making weather.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
17 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

And it's pretty much best type of weather to deliver any snow to us. But, it is Manchester and has always, and will always be marginal

Trouble with Manchester is it’s only 30-50 meters above sea level: travel 14 miles North west or 14 miles North East or North of Manchester and it raises to 200   -350 meters above sea level.  That is that problem with Manchester being marginal . 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
8 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

UKV😍

there are your snow showers for Thursday.

IMG_2297.png

IMG_2296.png

IMG_2295.png

LOL

apoligies that is yesterday’s 😂

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

animzvn2.gif

• Like 8

Posted
15 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Trouble with Manchester is it’s only 30-50 meters above sea level: travel 14 miles North west or 14 miles North East or North of Manchester and it raises to 200   -350 meters above sea level.  That is that problem with Manchester being marginal . 

I need to move higher up !!

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I need to move higher up !!

Deeansgste square south tower 200m??

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
11 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Yeah the city centre is around that elevation (30-50m) and also heavily built up so snow is very difficult to come by. Here where I am is 100m and we do tend to get more of course but in the future I'm moving higher up again. I used to live at 165m and often got into the more marginal stuff at that height where lower ground just 30m lower often had nothing. Crazy what a bit of height can do with orographic lifting. So across this city you often get conflicting opinions on how well you tend to do and also what your expectations are. Here I am expecting a covering this week but not a lot because I'm not particularly high up.

• Like 7

Posted

Latest Met graphics show more precipitation around everywhere generally on Thursday.

Just need a big clump to form in the Irish sea rather than showers, which is never really forecastable. Happened on the morning of 23rd January 2021.   

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Alexis said:

Latest Met graphics show more precipitation around everywhere generally on Thursday.

Just need a big clump to form in the Irish sea rather than showers, which is never really forecastable. Happened on the morning of 23rd January 2021.   

was okay here that too, but did much better with the low on 24th

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Incase anyone misses this on the main home page.

Snowmap_140124_1.thumb.gif.4726facd129e6e819e812baa093e9bbf.gif

With my IMBY head on I’ll take that👍

• Like 8