Tomorrow morning rushour may need caution  ⚠️ 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

IMG_7623.thumb.png.7dfe62c1dc482f937ad301b7dd515d95.png

If only it was a bit colder ☹️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Its been raining in the past hour or so, turning a little more sleety now due to evaporative cooling.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
12 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Some large flakes fluttering down… sporadic but dew -1c temp 1.1c 

Looking at the intensity of those showers to our West Northwest, we could get a good covering if the dew points are right.

• Like 4

Posted

The cold front has nearly moved through here, a bit of sleet at best, places without height don't expect much wintriness.

Temps are now dropping down to 2.5 degrees, a nosedive should take place by midnight. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Seeing ice as a real potential hazard early tomorrow - especially where there is still partially thawed snow cover and if the showery sleet/icy rain (wet snow maybe to higher levels) falls here enough to freeze over as winds turn N past midnight. I remember an event in the late 2000's  2007/08 maybe or 2008/09 where we had true icy rain (a watered down version of what you see in the US/ Canada) and you literally couldn't walk on the pavement in places the black ice was that bad it was a nice excuse to turn up an hour or so late to school though 🥶

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wind picked up this evening and there is just the odd flake blowing about in the wind at the moment.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Temperature beginning to drop now and everything is soaking ,iceageddon tomorrow 😟

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The cold front has nearly moved through here, a bit of sleet at best, places without height don't expect much wintriness.

Temps are now dropping down to 2.5 degrees, a nosedive should take place by midnight. 

I'm down to 1c but feel boltic out there, it's like a ice rink

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
1 minute ago, Thunder Snow said:

I'm down to 1c but feel boltic out there, it's like a ice rink

Probably a couple of hours away from me 

• Like 5

Posted

Heaviest snow of the day for the past 15 mins and the air temp dropping quick. Shame the dp is going the other way and conditions now, unlike earlier, are not suitable for settling snow. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
1 minute ago, PennineMark said:

Heaviest snow of the day for the past 15 mins and the air temp dropping quick. Shame the dp is going the other way and conditions now, unlike earlier, are not suitable for settling snow. 

Yes same here as of a few mins ago. Huge flakes! Still have most of the snow on the ground from this morning too.

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowmad79 said:

Yes same here as of a few mins ago. Huge flakes! Still have most of the snow on the ground from this morning too.

I spoke a little soon. Instead of glancing through the window at the lamppost, I got off my bum and put the bin out. It has been heavy enough to cover the road and cars again. It'll be treacherous in the morning. Not a chance they'll get up here to empty that bin 🤦‍♂️. Anyone south and east of here with decent height may well get a bit more if it stays heavy enough. It's not 'warmed up' here all day, 0.7c at the moment. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Heavy rain. Temp falling, evap cooling taking effect. A bit sleety now.

• Like 6

Posted
37 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Seeing ice as a real potential hazard early tomorrow - especially where there is still partially thawed snow cover and if the showery sleet/icy rain (wet snow maybe to higher levels) falls here enough to freeze over as winds turn N past midnight. I remember an event in the late 2000's  2007/08 maybe or 2008/09 where we had true icy rain (a watered down version of what you see in the US/ Canada) and you literally couldn't walk on the pavement in places the black ice was that bad it was a nice excuse to turn up an hour or so late to school though 🥶

I think 13 Feb 2012 delivered freezing rain/glaze, not experienced anything to same extent since.. might have been a few days earlier. An ice rink, everything coated in rime ice, lethal.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & storms. Or very hot. None of this raining when it's sunny rubbish

Heavy rain here now. Got nearly a full day of snow cover though 🙂 

• Like 4

Posted

Attention tomorrow will be on temperatures. A high chance of an ice day, we were very very close to one on Monday, quite probably was as my sensor which I think overestimates temps only achieved 0.3 degrees briefly. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted

Just reflecting on today's snowfall, whilst for most away from high ground it quickly melted or fizzled, I do think was quite a good event for many. Many were not expecting much at all from all the posts I was reading. One of those occasions when the NW did better than forecast, it can happen!

Near 4 inches here, on the back of the foot we had on 2 Dec and its only 16 Jan, a good 2 months to go when decent snow can occur and not melt, indeed statistically mid Jan to mid March is most likely to bring heavy snowfall here. Winter 23-24 snowfall wise already beating many since 12-13, though most are an exceptional low bar!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Just reflecting on today's snowfall, whilst for most away from high ground it quickly melted or fizzled, I do think was quite a good event for many. Many were not expecting much at all from all the posts I was reading. One of those occasions when the NW did better thsn forecast, it can happen!

Completely agree 👍 wasn’t expecting much after consecutive downgrades on amounts over the model runs… but 2-3 inches is the most we’ve had since March last year… we got 5-6 inches then but only lasted 36 hours before it was all gone… 

• Like 5