Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Poor timing this change to wet and windy, just in time for the weekend 

A dark very wet start to Saturday. A weekend for non- outdoor activities sadly.

• Like 5

Posted

Ugh default weather resumes. Rain pouring down, just a few patches of snow and ice left. Tomorrow's storm is looking pretty potent, time to batten down the hatches!

• Like 5

Posted

Rain here but has intermittent touches of sleet in it. 4.2°C and the odd blow of the wind.

Looks to be having a bit of a dusting on the A537 Cat Cam.  

Screenshot_20240120_090505_Chrome.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

it’s absolutely vile outside. Still loads of icy snow under foot. Now to add to it it’s chucking it down and blowing a Hooley. What’s tomorrow going to be like!!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

Surprisingly stayed just around freezing for most of last night in the marginals. -0.3 at midnight  + 0.6 at 7,00am with hardly any melting so still a patchy white scene!. Since then rising  steadily to  +1.5 light rain and winds rising so next phase is here! Still wondering about warning upgrades in our area-looks to have potential.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Funny how the rain never struggles to find us here in the NW a much milder drizzly start - its a real shame the cold weather couldn’t have held on for the weekend as it is doing in the States 🥶  

They next week also are seeing a big warm up though from the big freeze they have been in this past week going against the myth that the UK & USA/ Canada can’t be cold at the same time, Washington DC seeing freezing -3c highs today, 16c/ 17c by the middle of next week. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

Had a look at fax at 3hrs and 48hrs. Going out to move anything lose in the garden!! Then going to service the chainsaw-might be on for some firewood,,,,,,,,,,

Sorry 36hrs-no specs

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, weatherCharter said:

Animation of the gusts from Storm Isha. Looks like it's going to be a pretty windy period, perhaps the strongest storm we've had for a good while?

Looks to be on a par with Storm Ciara in Feb 2020 - a nasty storm with squall line here ☔💨 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

As you where ,grey damp miserable  , complete with email that my car is  not coming next week but mid march,pretty shocking as they where happy to take a 5 k deposit in August ,I’ve messaged back saying if not then I want my money back plus interest 

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
40 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Funny how the rain never struggles to find us here in the NW a much milder drizzly start - its a real shame the cold weather couldn’t have held on for the weekend as it is doing in the States 🥶  

They next week also are seeing a big warm up though from the big freeze they have been in this past week going against the myth that the UK & USA/ Canada can’t be cold at the same time, Washington DC seeing freezing -3c highs today, 16c/ 17c by the middle of next week. 

To be fair it's rare we both have cold and warm at same time especially both being warmer as the deep cold they get usually fires the jet stream up.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bit of a weird amber warning area for Sunday/Mondays storm with all of Scotland included, most of Wales but little of England south of mid Lancs across to north Yorks apart from the extreme south and southwest.

I could understand that if the centre of the low was crossing the midlands but isn’t it supposed to pass across northern Scotland so whilst the areas shown are probably justified, I’d have thought that far more of England would have been included.

maybe time for further adjustments but this mornings update has already been put up and although it widens the area across Wales, there are no southerly changes across England.

I suppose that damage can occur without an upgrade though and yellow or amber, it’s going to be a wild couple of days and as I’m a tight ass and it can cost a lot of money, it’s certainly not my favourite type of extreme weather.

• Like 9

Posted

06z upgrades slightly Storm Isha’s winds up to 70mph here tomorrow night into the early hrs of Monday - might see further extensions to the Amber Warning area tomorrow if we continue to see any further upgrades. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
3 hours ago, iand61 said:

A bit of a weird amber warning area for Sunday/Mondays storm with all of Scotland included, most of Wales but little of England south of mid Lancs across to north Yorks apart from the extreme south and southwest.

I could understand that if the centre of the low was crossing the midlands but isn’t it supposed to pass across northern Scotland so whilst the areas shown are probably justified, I’d have thought that far more of England would have been included.

maybe time for further adjustments but this mornings update has already been put up and although it widens the area across Wales, there are no southerly changes across England.

I suppose that damage can occur without an upgrade though and yellow or amber, it’s going to be a wild couple of days and as I’m a tight ass and it can cost a lot of money, it’s certainly not my favourite type of extreme weather.

Agreed. Neither ours Ian. Being flat here and exposed it’s quite something hearing gusts winding up over the fields. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Overcast and breezy here today and damp at times. The temperature is higher than it has been, but still a rather raw feeling day, currently 6.4C.

• Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, iand61 said:

Wind is getting up, milder air has arrived and the snow melt has begun.

just need the rain to arrive and the weekend ruiner can be welcomed in.

looks like a day for some inside jobs.

I take it you chose not to get off your backside and burn some calories yesterday then? 🙂 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Well I'm back after taking a breather from the wintry weather we had. Snow has all but gone now here, was some patches left this morning but they've disappeared now. Probably be March now until we get more, typical. Onto the weather and certainly stormy stuff on the way. Never a dull moment with it all is there?? We could do with less rain though, had way too much over the last few months and now the cold has gone everywhere is squelching under foot again. Wellies needed if you go onto fields.

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, Thunder Snow said:

Feeling very mild today windy and wet vile

Yes it feels very different, grim really.. have to take the highs and the lows..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Left Northamptonshire this morning early with sun just rising and with frost still biting, 0.5c, by the time I reached Blackpool it was 9c and miserable wet and windy. 

• Like 3