Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 on

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
1 minute ago, Biggin said:

Not se but salibury plain has snow

I'll ask my son in law , based at larkhill.. 

53 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

SE London to be precise lol

Rain alarm went off and told me I'm close to snow flurries here in Bexley to your east too

Screenshot_20240117_072214_Rain Alarm.jpg

Nw radar looks nothing like that atm ?

• Like 2

Posted

Currently -2 after a low of -3 at 4 this morning. Since then has clouded over. I'm missing the sunshine.

18 minutes ago, throwoff said:

We have been royally shafted by this one!

Can't believe how close we all came. 

I know. What were we thinking eh, expecting a proper snowfall in January of all months? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

image.thumb.png.b3cac1a6dd25257d84ecd714ba7eb3dd.png

It's rain out to sea; you can see the shadow effect of Beachy Head very nicely on this. The snow above Brighton must be evaporating before getting to the ground.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Now come on Irene, this really is cruel!!:

Rain radar & weather forecast | Meteoradar

Regards,

Tom Q.  👍

• Like 3

Posted

It's not snowing in Calais, despite what the radar says

WWW.VIEWSURF.COM

Viewsurf, leader européen de la webcam HD touristique live et différée, plage - France - Nord-Pas-de-Calais - Calais - Live

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
26 minutes ago, Marie said:

Nothing in Brighton I’m afraid 

Nothing up here, either; just +1C and cloudy. . . I could do with yesterday's sunshine too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

All that precipitation wasted over the English Channel…..

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

Now come on Irene, this really is cruel!!:

Rain radar & weather forecast | Meteoradar

Regards,

Tom Q.  👍

And there's plenty of Sneeuw forecast for N.E. France and Belgium: 

Buienradar.nl - Buienradar.nl - Weer - Actuele neerslag, weerbericht, weersverwachting, sneeuwradar en satellietbeelden

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

Edited by Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

We really need a true easterly BFTE down here. Troughs embedded in the flow etc etc.

These northerly set ups and lows approaching from the SW rarely cut it nowadays. Cold enough and we can’t get any precip in, get the precip in and it will turn the wrong side of marginal. Very rare to hit the jackpot with sliding lows nowadays.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

We really need a true easterly BFTE down here. Troughs embedded in the flow etc etc.

These northerly set ups and lows approaching from the SW rarely cut it nowadays. Cold enough and we can’t get any precip in, get the precip in and it will turn the wrong side of marginal. Very rare to hit the jackpot with sliding lows nowadays.

It can happen, but you need a dose of luck on the placement of the low. It’s such fine margins. An easterly is always better for our part of the world. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well, isn't that just the ultimate carrot dangler, how the weather gods must be laughing their socks off. You can bet your life, that if this set up was with warmer temperatures, and the weatherman said, there's a system going through the channel, that may produce some rain, for the south east. It would move north by 75 miles, and be a complete washout. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Well, isn't that just the ultimate carrot dangler, how the weather gods must be laughing their socks off. You can bet your life, that if this set up was with warmer temperatures, and the weatherman said, there's a system going through the channel, that may produce some rain, for the south east. It would move north by 75 miles, and be a complete washout. 

No doubt about it, if it was just plain old rain, it would be a washout today!

• Like 1

Posted

There is a weather warning out for snow for the north of our region for overnight and into tomorrow morning. 1-3cms of snow possible across Norfolk from showers moving down the north sea.

• Like 3

Posted

Occasional flakes, no more.

If it was Christmas day it would count as a white Christmas.

Even the radar which shows light snow over me is overdoing it🤣

• Like 1

Posted

Don't know about other areas of EA/SE however in Ely the night-time temperatures haven't been overly Cold this week - 0-1C, with minimal visual frost on cars or pavements. Due to the wind/breeze maybe? 

The worst thing about this weeks cold spell has been the bitter feel during the days with temperatures not rising much. 

Disappointingly for most other than the east coast there has been very little to talk about snow wise - the set-up has not produced this week which is a shame but not a huge surprise, NW'ly's rarely deliver for this part of the world. 

• Like 1

Posted

Its swings and roundabouts with a slider lol ,we dont have trouble with the merry go round though 😞

Posted
53 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Yes NE21, fine margins indeed.

Although I lived through the severe Winter of 1962/63, I was too young to have any specific memories of it.

Right at the start of that severe spell of Weather and after the initial Boxing Day Snowfall, a Week later a Low moving East close to the South Coast, brought Blizzard conditions to our Region:

image.thumb.png.fa350b05f4d40899f37412e8e5a7af7e.png

My Dad was working for the Southern Region of British Rail at the time, maintaining track and tunnels.

Heavy Snow accompanied by strong winds struck our Region around 9 P.M. on Saturday Evening, 29th December 1962.

Dad and his Gang had to abandon their work near London Bridge and then wait until 4.30 A.M., to get back to where we were living near Hayes, in Kent.

But the Train could get no further than Elmers End, as the Snow was drifting up to platform level, by that time.

With Snow up to his knees, Dad walked the 4 Miles to where we lived in Hayes.

Conditions were so bad, that the normal walking time of 1 hour and a half hours, took closer to 4 hours.

As you can imagine he arrived home exhausted, and frozen solid!!

Scroll forward exactly 16 Years and the image I posted a few Days ago, of the most severe conditions I've witnessed, regarding heavy Snow, accompanied by a Gale Force Easterly Wind, Saturday 30th December 1978: 

image.thumb.png.a7a227832223b736314e87eb7bf9783e.png

Yes it is very rare to hit the jackpot with these Lows moving up the English Channel, nowadays.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, Marie said:

Looks snowy here but nothing falling , can see the snow out at sea 🥲 so close I can almost touch it , gutted 

do you have a boat

Posted

20240117_093831.thumb.jpg.48b5417e17b5a1fea8ae48bd809277fb.jpg

Here's the beach a few minutes ago this morning, looking towards Eastbourne. Grey and hazy, but bone dry.

• Like 4

Posted
39 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

Although I lived through the severe Winter of 1962/63, I was too young to have any specific memories of it.

Right at the start of that severe spell of Weather and after the initial Boxing Day Snowfall, a Week later a Low moving East close to the South Coast, brought Blizzard conditions to our Region:

My Dad was working for the Southern Region of British Rail at the time, maintaining track and tunnels.

Heavy Snow accompanied by strong winds struck our Region around 9 P.M. on Saturday Evening, 29th December 1962.

Dad and his Gang had to abandon their work near London Bridge and then wait until 4.30 A.M., to get back to where we were living near Hayes, in Kent.

But the Train could get no further than Elmers End, as the Snow was drifting up to platform level, by that time.

Conditions were so bad, that the normal walking time of 1 hour and a half hours, took closer to 4 hours.

Scroll forward exactly 16 Years and the image I posted a few Days ago, of the most severe conditions I've witnessed, regarding heavy Snow, accompanied by a Gale Force Easterly Wind, Saturday 30th December 1978: 

Yes it is very rare to hit the jackpot with these Lows moving up the English Channel, nowadays.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

Just a P.S. to my post above.

I do remember scenes like the following in the Road where I lived, in the Winter of 1962.63.

Running up and down, great mounds of hard packed Snow to and from School, that had been swept clear of Residents, driveways:

Finally, a couple of images from the 1962/63 Winter in my Home Town of Bromley, Kent. 

The first is of Beckenham Lane, Shortlands, in the North of the Borough of Bromley:

image.thumb.png.16aa51acba748abc0a9b5e4ab1cd2854.png

The second, is of the perimeter fence at Biggin Hill Airport, in the South of the Borough: 

image.thumb.png.38aa8e80092f6c9aa8b24403896ec506.png

Regards,

Tom Q.  👍

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

Thanks for this Tom. I Remember the 1978 one just. The wind was howling and I remember looking out of my bedroom window at night and seeing the snow snaking down the road as it was drifting. The houses at the end of my street, facing the wind, had drifts up to their first floor windows. I was living in suburban north east London at the time.

• Like 1