Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted

Wow. It’s really coming down. Everything covered.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted

Frozen flakes visible on windscreens in pelsall folks ❄️❄️❄️❄️

the blizzard is coming 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Well there's a been one of hell of a screw up by the weather forecasts because that snow for central belt of Scotland into this morning is about 200 miles further south which has in turn but alot of people further south into the picture. 

Might move south abit more over the coming hours but those bham north could wake up to a few surprises 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It's reached Belper. Opened the curtains to a moderate fall of snow and it's not struggling to settle on the frozen ground (-1⁰c outside). Not expecting much around here but even this is more than I expected 🙂

Posted

Atm

flurry at home in pelsall

parked up in bloko now snow flakes in the wind ❄️👍🏻

Posted

Looks like the wind has turned a little more westerly meaning that the precipitation will miss us. Just as it looks like it’s holding together.Typical. 

Great for those north and east of here though! 

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Gord said:

Looks like the wind has turned a little more westerly meaning that the precipitation will miss us. Just as it looks like it’s holding together.Typical. 

Great for those north and east of here though! 

We are consistently in one of the worst places in the country for snow imo. Considering the advantage of the relatively high ground around here too

Posted
5 minutes ago, tom_f123 said:

We are consistently in one of the worst places in the country for snow imo. Considering the advantage of the relatively high ground around here too

IDK, around here does a lot worse. We are stuck in what people around here call "the gap" where any meaningful weather comes to die.

You watch, those showers will get to you, but fade as they approach here.....it's the law!

Posted
10 minutes ago, tom_f123 said:

I don’t think we consistently do badly. We’ve had a smattering of decent events over the past decade. We get our fair share of successes and let downs.

This morning is particularly annoying though. Just as the winds go a tad more westerly taking precipitation away from us, it suddenly looks more robust. North to northwesterlies can be really frustrating here. 

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

This is the worst kind of Cheshire Gap streamer, the kind that misses Telford! 😂

Posted

The latest radar frames are showing the whole thing getting further out of reach. Great for the northwest.

To be honest, the forecast for here was for hardly anything… so nothing lost. The forecasts have been decent so far since the events (or lack of them) of this week firmed up on the models. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

For us further south, we'll see what happens later as the system passes to the north and a sort of trailing front moves south but fizzling as it does but with a more NW flow rather than WNW following.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
6 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

For us further south, we'll see what happens later as the system passes to the north and a sort of trailing front moves south but fizzling as it does but with a more NW flow rather than WNW following.

Yeah I'm holding onto hope that the front won't fizzle quite as fast as it's showing.

• Like 1

Posted

Well what a crappy result this morning!!wake up and thought i would see a few flakes fallling but instead i get the worst of both worlds which is no snow and no frost🤣🤦‍♂️😒!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
8 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Yeah I'm holding onto hope that the front won't fizzle quite as fast as it's showing.

Yeah same 😅, surprises have happened already so we'll have to wait and see and there are warnings for snow for the north of the region until Thursday so hopefully some of those showers/streamers will make it to more of us after the front.

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Posted
1 minute ago, GokouD said:

This is the worst kind of Cheshire Gap streamer, the kind that misses Telford! 😂

I don't know which is worse, this type* which skirts the northern border of Shropshire with extreme accuracy, or the M6 streamer which skirts the eastern border. I don't consider either to be true Cheshire Gap streamers, the Gap includes the northern half of Shropshire which both always miss. The M6 one usually misses the western half of Cheshire too. The real one for me is the one that actually comes southwards down the gap (last night's had a go, the precip was light but it did go the right way and give a dusting)- it doesn't always exclude Staffs/W Mids or indeed NE Wales in its coverage.

*What should its name be? 

Well I was cynical and wasnt holding out hope but it certainly shows surprises do happen. 1.5cm of snow on the ground and still snowing here in the Staffs Moors. If the precip band moves any further south we could be looking at a fun day with the ammount coming in off the Irish Sea. The fronts are weakening as they get further inland however. 

But I am happy this morning!

20240116_072512.jpg

Edited by AltonMatthew
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Ah completely missed us down here (so far..)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
15 hours ago, BarometerCat said:

GFS 12zsnow chart for Weds

image.thumb.png.d95f9e2f35e5ad81260e7dd9fbb47c32.pngimage.thumb.png.d15cfe2d1c0da2f3b3c6f423dddb9734.png 

Outside chance then for East Mids. 

And Aperge for West Mids tomorrow (and maybe East mids)

image.thumb.png.45adccda5b660a116abe74bd504df936.pngimage.thumb.png.5d8944f57c0d6981672f158053af670c.png

Aperge vs GFS then - it's on!

Arpege takes the lead…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Snowed lightly for the past hour but nothing settled. 

The whole system is further south so perhaps a chance in the NW part of the region later. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Wake up look out the window aaaand……

dry as a bone not even the sugar coating of yesterday 😂

• Like 1