Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Day 9 mean looks like it’ll be ok, control isn’t so good yet 

IMG_2314.png

IMG_2315.png

• Like 1

Posted

Great upgrade that on the 0z with the high early on further north and east allowing more of an easterly early on which means colder start . Even a possibility of some early snow flurries in the SE later part of the weekend . Overall the picture looks the same to me . Early Sandi high - easterly . High intensifies over UK drifts a bit south then looks like the whole pattern wants to move high pressure to Greenland. Overall excellent IMHO

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
48 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Stunning really

image.thumb.png.39c91173d9d33322c1bb6e0e73d539a0.png

Can't quite make that date out

I'll borrow Scott Ingham glasses🤣

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 8

Posted

Blimey, best charts for years, bbc and met and netweather forecasts all positive, so much potential. Shouldn't we be more excited?? Or are we hedging our bets as we've 'seen it all before'. Thing is, we have seen it all before with the models but often find the forecasters don't buy into it. They are now!!!

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Same old story ! These cold pools are so sensitive to minor changes in the position and orientation of the high .

Still not possible at this point to forecast if there’s going to be any decent convection off the North Sea .

The ECM brought a chance for the far se , the GFS 06 hrs has some flurries for the east .

Hopefully we can get a resolution to this tonight as it’s now around T96 hrs .

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Day 9 mean looks like it’ll be ok, control isn’t so good yet 

IMG_2314.png

IMG_2315.png

Looks great to me! Settled and colder!

• Like 1

Posted

Awesome mean at day 11

IMG_2316.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Had been watching this initial colder period from the 30th  via GFS mostly (6z!), has been nice to watch a period of change unfold.

later frames get a bit messy but around this date has been fairly consistent with incoming high pressure, colder temps and a change from rain etc..   keeping it simple, high pressure more likely to be dry!  (just from my POV, not that knowledgeable)

image.thumb.png.f1f85ab673623ec5f8b03380c018f8b9.pngimage.thumb.png.9549b66b84090c7603976e17be8c8154.pngimage.thumb.png.6f5ee8c673a28218926b12a6ac4719ce.png

enjoy the models, very interesting outputs at the mo.   Back to lurking for me! 🙂

• Like 8

Posted
17 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

What I see as favourite is the high pressure meandering close to our shores for the whole month!! I think there's a real risk that retrogression won't happen and we stay dry. Hope I'm wrong. The Met Office seem to see this as an option.

Nothing factual, just from years ofi watching charts and how they behave. I think to be hanging on charts at 240hrs is folly, no matter what ensembles say. We have seen backtracks before with 100% agreement on Greenland heights. Just highlighting it as a risk right now

You are quite correct regarding high pressure systems hanging around for what seems like an eternity,however,the Pole and background signals were probably not conducive to what is being forecast now

image.thumb.png.05e5f25eaeba973a47138cefdddf783a.pngimage.thumb.png.19fca2d14cbb5f97e04b58fd9b9f86cf.png

image.thumb.png.1e9e0b3b47f56db15c0c2f4206cf994f.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
11 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

What I see as favourite is the high pressure meandering close to our shores for the whole month!! I think there's a real risk that retrogression won't happen and we stay dry. Hope I'm wrong. The Met Office seem to see this as an option.

Nothing factual, just from years ofi watching charts and how they behave. I think to be hanging on charts at 240hrs is folly, no matter what ensembles say. We have seen backtracks before with 100% agreement on Greenland heights. Just highlighting it as a risk right now

There's a reason the Met go 7 days on their outlooks. It's not that their mildies, but they look for accuracy 

If I was a betting man I would agree with what you say. We will get a British Isles high that will just sit around on top of us for at least two weeks. That will take us to around the 22nd-23rd. Final week of January most likely a slowly sinking high unfortunately. Hopefully squeeze a few flakes in the east this weekend. I just want some dry weather to be honest, freezing fog would be nice. Deep cold via a greenie or griceland high I'm just not seeing it. I will be happy with dry and cold, just no more rain please. 

• Like 4

Posted

image.thumb.png.efbce72f39fd66bd1ecd7ec9338d3fd8.png

FWIW BBC / Exeter look to be on rhe same page ref 1st half of Jan

Members here expressing doubt / scepticism are entitled to do so,absolutely.. 

As it stands it looks good,of course that might change ...

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

There's a reason the Met go 7 days on their outlooks. It's not that their mildies, but they look for accuracy 

100% agree with this. UK highs can really stick around and whilst not unknown to end with a cold spell they often just eventually gently sink away SE. Also, like you I'm surprised at how much interest is being shown in day 10-15 charts. Whole ensemble suites can flip over in a day! I suspect its a measure of where we are after last winter and this season so far.

My current guess based on experience is that this high will eventually allow in a punchy northerly but that it will be a 2 day affair and nothing long lasting. There remains a possibility of a dusting of snow in the far south around day 6. Doubt it will amount to anything as pressure is forecast to be very high so a bone dry easterly more likely but if something did fall it could stay on the ground a long time.

Outlook at the surface is cold for next week or so, but I'm not seeing much snow potential.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

If I was a betting man I would agree with what you say. We will get a British Isles high that will just sit around on top of us for at least two weeks. That will take us to around the 22nd-23rd. Final week of January most likely a slowly sinking high unfortunately. Hopefully squeeze a few flakes in the east this weekend. I just want some dry weather to be honest, freezing fog would be nice. Deep cold via a greenie or griceland high I'm just not seeing it. I will be happy with dry and cold, just no more rain please. 

Place your bets

Monday 8 January to – Sunday 14 January

Colder than average. Less settled later

Next week looks like staying colder than average. High pressure presence should mean a lot of dry weather across the UK, at least through the first half of the week, but does mean widespread and sharp frosts with risks of persistent areas of fog and freezing fog. Any showers will be few and far between but could be wintry anywhere they occur.

The second half of the week has a lot more uncertainty. There are signs that high pressure will retrogress into the Atlantic, which could allow frontal systems to slide around its eastern side and move southwards across the UK. These should bring a band or two of rain or wintry precipitation southwards with winds increasing, followed by sleet or snow showers, especially for the northern UK, as winds probably go north-westerly for a day or two.

Details are hard to pin down at this range, but aside from a temporary rise as fronts approach, temperatures should remain below average.

Take a look at the following week on the website

🙂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Judging by the positive met office and BBC etc updates and despite some model volatility I can't help feeling we're on the cusp of a long overdue, proper January cold spell.

I expect the models to positively reflect this in the coming days👍

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Some of us think they already reflect this, but hey ho! 😁

Sorry Mike, I should have said to even more positively reflect this🙂

• Like 5