Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
7 hours ago, Uncertainty said:

Cansips, for January 2024, 10 months ago:

image.thumb.png.0144973757739bac4ed19a06e8cf5b3c.png

Cansips, June 2023 

image.thumb.png.bdf8841c4aada3b279f2366a4ddc2b1e.png

Cansips, today:

image.thumb.png.ded8a3bbb8b04cc721675555233ef417.png

What a phenomenal forecast. The seasonals have absolutely smashed it. It’s easy for them in a 2019/2020 (eg mega zonal) paradigm but predicting blocking that far out is hard. 

The 46 has also done pretty well after some early wobbles.

Peitao Pengs analogues have also done really well

image.thumb.gif.b3519c357c71fdd6c4e2fe59aebc75b3.gif

The cfs is and always has been garbage, here’s an effort from august that it persisted  with up until a few weeks ago. All this has done is throw doubt and apprehension into the mix. Fortunately, most of us were able to see past it. 

image.thumb.png.a5bfbe949f44b231559ac163f6874b0d.png

So there you have it. The long awaited early 2024 blocking is upon us. Weather forecasting is hard, but if you listen to the signals, experts,  telecons (EQBO, late Nino moving modoki, weak strat, mjo p1, fading iod, major +EAMT) and the models (if they show a really strong, consistent picture) then it is possible to go beyond ‘Fantasy Island’ and into the future. Read back through this thread and the winter preview thread. We called it. Great job folks.

And so it begins…

I hope you don’t mind, but I thought I would actually rotate one of these charts to focus on our part of the world. As so many times it’s always focusing on America and we actually live in the UK. 
Just makes it a little bit clearer to me, at least when I can see it directly how it affects our shores and not over in America.

I am definitely being swayed more towards the cold by the consistency of each model run that comes out, pointing more towards the cold as opposed to any southern high-pressure blocking ruining this

.first we have a temporary smaller high-pressure over the northern north Sea, bringing in temporary, quite cold air from the east for a couple of days before that moderates and gets Above, but we may see surface cold, lingering before what looks like potentially cold north, north east 2010 type looking charts, bringing inwhat looks like very cold air. still early days and things can change as has happened in the past, but consensus is definitely pointing now more towards deep, cold lasting for at least a week possibly longer.

exciting times, but will be even better to see this verified with those type of charts at day three or four for me. 

IMG_3583.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Day 10 mean is excellent again, the control about to get brutal cold from the east. Some ENS Perbs have the cold arriving early like the GEM. Over to the ECM .

And - the mean is an upgrade from the 18z 👌🥶

IMG_2345.png

IMG_2346.png

IMG_2347.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Gem not to shabby.

E7F06302-70AE-4028-9E7E-F51C9ABE9712.png

00933DA5-1271-40B5-BC8B-005A760B6A80.png

• Like 7

Posted

It was mentioned by a poster last night but didnt really get much of attention but the Atlantic lows to the south west are slowly beginning to be modeled with more and more influence day by day. In my opinion,this is good news, given we get the cold in place then we may see some good snowfall somewhere as opposed to days on days of dry frosty weather we had pre christmas and on occassions last year...

Gfs day 12...

GFSOPEU00_264_1-2.png

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

All purely just for fun at that range but a nice channel low scenario developing at the back end of the 00z gfs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
Just now, KTtom said:

It was mentioned by a poster last night but didnt really get much of attention but the Atlantic lows to the south west are slowly beginning to be modeled with more and more influence day by day. In my opinion,this is good news, given we get the cold in place then we may see some good snowfall somewhere as opposed to days on days of dry frosty weather we had pre christmas and on occassions last year...

I’m just hoping we get the cold Arctic air in place as it may not reach all areas at this rate!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

I’m just hoping we get the cold Arctic air in place as it may not reach all areas at this rate!!

Yea, that is the risk. Its would be a race against time as to which gets to the UK first..at least it wouldnt be boring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Lovely runs again this morning. Get the thermals ready, and hopefully the sledges will be dusted off in the next few weeks as well 🧊 ❄️ 🛷:) .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
4 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Lovely runs again this morning. Get the thermals ready, and hopefully the sledges will be dusted off in the next few weeks as well 🧊 ❄️ 🛷🙂 .

Will it be deep enough for the ⛷️? 😳

Posted

What happened to the ECM run ?

We’re waiting for the all important day 9 . No dramas so far !

Posted

What happened to the ECM run ?

Yes.  Worrying.. I can't view as on phone..silence when a run is running is usually a red flag   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Good solid runs again this morning,  the cold is on its way and could well be long lasting.

A January well below the average cet to break the endless run of above average months would be great.

Certainly looking very possible and that would hopefully bring with it multiple opportunities for decent snowfall👍

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
7 hours ago, Ice Day said:

I'm not sure I've seen a chart as bizarre as this before!?  The whole PV shifted to the Asia/Europe side.

image.thumb.png.572dab91f4c670c5f262c68df0974ced.png image.thumb.png.092b0daa6bb144d33e15b5ea146f0f6f.png

Slower evolution, but let's get real, it's absolutely sensational!

1978 what followed was epic

image.thumb.png.4fc608798f346e915087465290c7be98.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

Yes.  Worrying.. I can't view as on phone..silence when a run is running is usually a red flag   

Bur saying this... it was far more calm and informative in here this morning  

• Like 3

Posted

Day 9 okay . Need to box the high in now so it can force the low se . We don’t want heights escaping to the west nw .

• Like 1