Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Coldest mid level airmass over Southern England and Northern France. Don't see that very often.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see weaker heights over Greenland than on most model output currently given that heights are notoriously poorly modelled in that area but that doesn't mean a collapse to any cold spell of course.

Think this was mentioned by one of the pros a day or so ago mountainous regions affect the models closer to t0?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Friday 15 Jan update using the upper air charts (500 MB chiefly)

Taking ECMWF first and it has changed today from the last couple of days with both the upper and surface ridge shown as further NW than before. There is also in the last 2 days a signal for colder sir to advect west as the ridge conditions give way to a bit more cyclonic looking. 850 temperatures are brought down below -5 C in the last 2 charts. Is this a trend that will continue? Time will tell

The NOAA charts for 6-10 especially have shifted the C of G of the ridge first east and now again more west. In the more westerly position the European trough is obviously further west thus allowing the possibility of colder upper air moving west. Currently the version yesterday showed the actual contour centre in the NW of the UK with the very high +ve anomaly (+390 DM) being just SW of Iceland. The UK is currently not in any deep cold air on the 6-10 or the 8-14, although this hint at temperatures falling somewhat at 500 MB.

UK Met in the period 9-11 Jan ( their furthest public charts) show both the upper and surface ridge staying just north of northern Scotland. They have the European trough well east with a cut off upper low just south of the UK/nw France edging south over that period.

So with all 3 outputs in the 6-10 day period seem to suggest no deep cold air but with upper and surface ridging being somewhere over or WNW of northern/western Scotland. This suggests a mainly dry spell with frost becoming more widespread but depending on cloud cover for its intensity. The upper pattern to me suggests little probability further out of any break down in the block. Obviously its actual position is going to vary slightly but remaining north rather than south. Models predicting further ahead do seem to suggest that deep cold is possibly 14-20 days away from today? Not my scene so that comment may be incorrect but I’ll leave that to others to firm up on.

00_ECMWF_ENS_p0_500hPa+144_240.gif

WWW.WEATHERCHARTS.ORG

UK Met Office . . Europe and North Atlantic MSLP analysis and prognosis charts

Thank you John, a very measured and sensible piece of commentary nestled amongst the noise this morning 👍🏻

• Like 4

Posted

The uppers for Tuesday are significantly higher than previous run on 06z gfs. Minus 8s across the South last night are now minus 2 to minus 5

No snow anywhere on that, but it was always marginal to be fair

image.thumb.png.88724446edc293a860a802959f5f5444.png

Edited by January Snowstorm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
10 minutes ago, carinthian said:

First signs of convection across Southern North Sea tomorrow afternoon as the deeper cold air gradually pushes across Eastern Areas of The UK from Denmark , where it is currently very cold. Blizzards yesterday caused a lot of roads in Denmark and Southern Sweden to be closed by drifting snow. ( Pictures from Denmark ). Some models now showing snow showers across Kent and East Sussex for a time on Sunday in association with a transient pool of cold air.

C

415011298_765940845551008_3893917913829356276_n.jpg

417386464_765941008884325_1065383040074847117_n.jpg

ICOOPUK06_36_46.png

This post and the pictures provided from Denmark are such a stark reminder how difficult it is to get snow into the British Isles. I mean Denmark is what 450 miles away by boat and yet the weather we are experiencing couldn't be more different. So if the global teleconnections are delivering blizzards to Denmark Holland et al but not us can they be said to have failed on a global level? I personally think not. They have currently delivered snow to North West Europe, just not these tiny bunch of islands. We need something ultra special whilst they don't. 

• Like 5

Posted

06z gfs.  Not such a strong push north the heights into Greenland at day 7. However more of ridge from Pacific attempt towards pole...

No idea how this lands later on... 

Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

The turn up to greenland at 156 doesn't look sharp enough..a bit flat..could be a problem!

Agreed.  What signal is gfs picking up.  Needs to drop it. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

06z gfs.  Not such a strong push north the heights into Greenland at day 7. However more of ridge from Pacific attempt towards pole...

No idea how this lands later on... 

Agreed.  What signal is gfs picking up.  Needs to drop it. 

I think it’ll end up better and push harder up the west of Greenland , better trigger low 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.4442e77744caa2987f07910b1f3d4a6f.png
no major differences at this point locally, high a little stronger and the low that’s going to push around the high is further west making it look like the high is struggling but it really isn’t 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

I think it’ll end up better and push harder up the west of Greenland 

Not seeing it..quiet a bit flatter with push into Greenland at day 7.. lows to west of Greenland look postive tilt.. 

Much flatter at day 8 over Greenland..  not good 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

While the gfs has its daily wobbling routine I bring you the ec ens and yes the outlook is promising..These det runs will get itchy feet from time to time and will need to turn to there bigger more experienced brothers and sisters for a little guidance! There's a simplistic way of putting things.

gensnh-0-1-234.png

gensnh-2-1-240.png

gensnh-3-1-270.png

gensnh-8-1-192.png

gensnh-10-1-246.png

gensnh-12-1-264.png

gensnh-14-1-252.png

gensnh-16-1-336.png

gensnh-17-1-246.png

gensnh-19-1-252.png

gensnh-21-1-240.png

gensnh-22-1-252.png

gensnh-25-1-264.png

They are unbelievably good!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

Not seeing it..quiet a bit flatter with push into Greenland at day 7.. lows to west of Greenland look postive tilt.. 

image.thumb.png.f81c43eb1bfd8af17eec9e1c54bb7e82.png
much lower heights over Greenland on this run, not sure where the high is going to go.

i think we’ve lost a wheel on this run 😬

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Looks to be taking shape towards 192!.😍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

At day 7/8 the Azores low becomes temporarily cut off, what we want is for that time to be as short as possible as that low needs to phase with the trough exiting North America. When these phase you get the elongated trough and the subsequent push northwards of the Atlantic ridge. What you don’t want is the low to remain cut off because the jet stream will flatten out the ridge as all the energy rides over the top instead of splitting.

image.thumb.png.fad651dc193aabc7c1a5158dd2f3edc7.png

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

This post and the pictures provided from Denmark are such a stark reminder how difficult it is to get snow into the British Isles. I mean Denmark is what 450 miles away by boat and yet the weather we are experiencing couldn't be more different. So if the global teleconnections are delivering blizzards to Denmark Holland et al but not us can they be said to have failed on a global level? I personally think not. They have currently delivered snow to North West Europe, just not these tiny bunch of islands. We need something ultra special whilst they don't. 

Yes, its hard work for you guys but that makes its extra special when you do hit the jackpot .  We need Doggerland to resurface! Yes , small differences  in mileage but big difference in weather. That reminds me of my post Christmas flight from Liverpool John Lennon . Set off in rain and temp of 9c and arrived 1 hour 57 mins later ( record flight time ) in Arlanda Stockholm at -10c in deep snow ! Back to the short term models , at least some cold to tap into for you lot. Could be a lot worse !

C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

While the gfs has its daily wobbling routine I bring you the ec ens and yes the outlook is promising..These det runs will get itchy feet from time to time and will need to turn to there bigger more experienced brothers and sisters for a little guidance! There's a simplistic way of putting things.

gensnh-0-1-234.png

gensnh-2-1-240.png

gensnh-3-1-270.png

gensnh-8-1-192.png

gensnh-10-1-246.png

gensnh-12-1-264.png

gensnh-14-1-252.png

gensnh-16-1-336.png

gensnh-17-1-246.png

gensnh-19-1-252.png

gensnh-21-1-240.png

gensnh-22-1-252.png

gensnh-25-1-264.png

I personally think perturbation 3 or 16 is sort of where we will end up. A mid Atlantic south greenie blocking around the 15th. What happens after that I'm unsure. It either sinks or it shuffles. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The good news is that the retrogression signal is solid (due partly to the Pac Ridge), and the 06z hammers that home:

image.thumb.png.e18cabfac87500ad5cbc8a1fead2e91d.png

That does mean that a sinking UK high is a nominal risk and that we should, at the worst, get a mid-lat Atlantic high. It looks better from D7 than the 0z.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1