Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

I think I am having my own little bit of a wobble this morning. GFS not as good for the south with more encroachment from higher uppers . There is a rain to snow event in the south on the GFS control. ECM slightly better than last night's and Gem seems good . 

Mogreps not looking quite so pronounced but still looking broadly supportive still but I noticed not all supportive of cold clearing the south coast . Still in the game and will remain positive that this is still well up for grabs .

A5AF27F1-85B1-4326-83DD-3D0CC490C2A6.png

EBA11C14-090E-49CF-94B4-2675A60D52A9.png

6F494399-55F2-42F3-AFE6-EDAD9A3C4D45.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

They are good runs in getting a cleaner split-flow of energy from the UK High, though there is no complete UK high retrogression. So, the charts we saw 3-4 days ago with a stonking GH are unlikely, as they showed a full retrogression of the high. I would guess that less energy means that without further help, the clock is ticking on GH's longevity.

Another fork in the road is the migration of the Azores Low. GEM keeps it furthest away by D8, then GFS, but EC pushes it into the UK, delaying the colder air by two days. With that GH clock ticking down, that is likely two days lost to the cold:

gemeu-0-192.thumb.png.654229931a9966bc133db5a6b7faf394.pnggfseu-0-192-2.thumb.png.17df5cc2dfdbebce9c9ce5ff0dd834d6.pngECE1-216.GIF-2.thumb.png.5e4160d5b4384e2897847a2ab9779311.png

ECM is the third chart. Note: There are still fewer yellows on the ECM chart on the tip of Greenland, so the pattern collapses earlier.

It's all out in FI, so we must wait and see where this fork takes us whilst models hopefully firm up on a cleaner height flow to Greenland pre-D8. Wedges after the GH dissipates may prolong the cold for 2-3 more days. The GEFS mean suggests a return to a familiar pattern in FI with no re-amplification on the Pacific side, instead a wedge sending the tPV towards our NW:

animlyv3.gif

Edited by IDO
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The Pacific Ridge  is causing issues and the ECM seems unable to decide how much impact that will have .

It is at least an improvement on last nights run so reasons to be cheerful .

Earlier it’s also expanded the area of -10 850s moving westwards . It took its time , hardly been a good few days for it ! 

Hear hear ..

EC is better than yesterday's frankly disappointing runs..

Still divergences 120-144 so still hard to call the specifics ..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Hear hear ..

EC is better than yesterday's frankly disappointing runs..

Still divergences 120-144 so still hard to call the specifics ..

We await the ensembles..have a feeling it will be mild outlier

Posted
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

Modelling appears to have vastly underestimated this mornings convective shower streamer across the SE (all rain currently) which might bode well for tomorrow, wouldn't surprise me if one or two spots saw a bit of a surprise tomorrow morning!

Longer range modelling is good this morning, MOGREPS/NAEFS remain cold, GFS is okay and ECM is an improvement. I think we've lost a real solid Greenland high overall now so we're going to have to hope we see a decent wedge of heights instead & that still seems likely for the time being.

The models are not high enough resolution to pick these events up. I was saying this the other day here that a little smudge of activity on one of the main models can be impactful locally. I noticed then a streamer over the South East was forecast for tonight but that seems to have moved to daylight hours tomorrow so I doubt will come to much other than a wet mix. I used to live downwind of Georgian Bay in Canada and they had mesoscale predictive radar out to 48 hours that was much better at picking up local activity…which regularly dumped 20cms on us, when the likes of the GFS had nothing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Ecm.gfs ukmo and gem are roughly similar at 168 this morning. Beyond that as Carinthian said earlier various option are on the table.

For me this is a step backwards from the clean evolutions of a couple of days back. Ecm in particular pushing the arrival of any real cold from the north back to day ten yet again and that is only for the north.

It could have it right and the evolution to full on uk cold may just be a bit slower.

Overall though I'm less convinced of a UK wide cold evolution this morning from a southerners point of view and you don't get much more southern than where i am overlooking Chesil beach.

I'll reserve judgement for now as the ensembles are yet to be viewed and there are a lot of moving parts in the evolutions showing now compared to the cleaner evolutions across the models a couple of days ago.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Modelling appears to have vastly underestimated this mornings convective shower streamer across the SE (all rain currently) which might bode well for tomorrow, wouldn't surprise me if one or two spots saw a bit of a surprise tomorrow morning!

Longer range modelling is good this morning, MOGREPS/NAEFS remain cold, GFS is okay and ECM is an improvement. I think we've lost a real solid Greenland high overall now so we're going to have to hope we see a decent wedge of heights instead & that still seems likely for the time being.

Agree on both points. Ukmo T168 for me illustrates your last point. 

For our hobby of looking at output it can’t be any more interesting with so much going on and variables on a cold theme. T144 plus will be fi for a while and T24 will be fi when looking at detail at some points. 👍

IMG_0853.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

EC mean looks a downgrade to me.

Yes - yet another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I agree - I pointed out yesterday that sea temps are near record highs, so the convective energy is much more than usual.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Agreed but not much?

IMG_9943.png

IMG_0865.png

• Like 1

Posted

00z mean day 10 doesn't even get -5 uppers south of the Scottish border 

image.thumb.png.78b2a7981945d868a6639b464253b928.png

Yesterdays day 9

image.thumb.png.6bc948cf29f43bdb469ddf4d009b6a10.png

Yesterday's day 10

image.thumb.png.e08ca8ac0fe5e7a0ad0856731c49c633.png

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Interested to see what the spread is here, definitely looking for wedges now and ensemble means will be very smoothed out. 
IMG_4388.thumb.png.436b412fecd8ec4f12bfaaab8bd98baf.png
IMG_4389.thumb.png.330b4aad4d85070a1107809fbc58699f.png

I think the individual EPS members will be a better guide over the means beyond day 5/7.

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

00z mean day 10 doesn't even get -5 uppers south of the Scottish border 

image.thumb.png.78b2a7981945d868a6639b464253b928.png

Yesterday's day 9

image.thumb.png.e08ca8ac0fe5e7a0ad0856731c49c633.png

Indeed NWS .Scott Ingham day steadily being pushed back on the ECM.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

T168 all 4. 😄 never going to be the same but on the same page from a nhp pov.👍

IMG_0853.png

IMG_0852.png

IMG_0850.png

IMG_0854.png

Just catching up this morning.  So the bottom line out to T168 on the op runs seems to be:

ECM is an upgrade on yesterday, this is a big plus in this timeframe.  It still looks messy North Greenland.  UKMO looks like a downgrade.  GEM is very good, and GFS looks decent and in keeping with recent runs.  What I would say is that there is plenty of uncertainty at a week out, the differences in behaviour North Greenland to Arctic high (or lack of it) is laughable really.

Longer term, I do think ‘whatever’ is driving this pattern, seems to be a slacker driver than was shown a few days ago.  This brings into play high risk high reward snow scenarios, at the expense of potential longevity of the spell.  But on that timescale, the Azores low needs to move east with the southern arm of the jet or it will inflate heights to our south and put southern extent of the cold in peril.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

We should bear in mind and something often highlighted in the NCEP extended forecast discussions .

The ne Pacific area has a large drop in observational data .

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Just catching up this morning.  So the bottom line out to T168 on the op runs seems to be:

ECM is an upgrade on yesterday, this is a big plus in this timeframe.  It still looks messy North Greenland.  UKMO looks like a downgrade.  GEM is very good, and GFS looks decent and in keeping with recent runs.  What I would say is that there is plenty of uncertainty at a week out, the differences in behaviour North Greenland to Arctic high (or lack of it) is laughable really.

Longer term, I do think ‘whatever’ is driving this pattern, seems to be a slacker driver than was shown a few days ago.  This brings into play high risk high reward snow scenarios, at the expense of potential longevity of the spell.  But on that timescale, the Azores low needs to move east with the southern arm of the jet or it will inflate heights to our south and put southern extent of the cold in peril.  

You said in one post what I tried to say in 5🤣👏👏  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

We should bear in mind and something often highlighted in the NCEP extended forecast discussions .

The ne Pacific area has a large drop in observational data .

I have always said this is the reason we cannot achieve anything remotely approaching perfection with extended range forecasting, the computing power is there, the understanding of science is there, the programming skills are there, but you will carry on getting diminishing returns without huge increases in weather stations and balloons, potentially in next few years you will have the capability to reduce grid size and increase no. of vertical layers on global models to that of the ukv etc, and still run them to D16, but unless you have obs data, you'll be leaving a lot of the grid blank so there's no point.

• Like 7