Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
Posted (edited)

stainesblokeI hate autumn too. Yuk.

But speaking of today, oh look, it's raining again. Long time no see lmao

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Need to average 8.2hrs of sun every day for the rest of the month to get May back to average -  already looks an incredibly tough ask given the forecast. 

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful start today already 17C. Won't last, but 2 and a half good days on a bank holiday weekend in the UK, especially in the 2023-24 monsoon era, is bordering on miraculous.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Tuesday could be a bit meh but otherwise you can’t go wrong with a forecast like this in May 👍

9F06F278-658E-4381-9E37-7A82A22E0547.thumb.jpeg.63d3454bb93f706f9210837a1f33a712.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.
Posted (edited)

danm as much success as I did going to London to watch the mighty cherries! (Saying that it depends on who you were supporting LOL)

Weather was lovely as least. 

Edited by Buzzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
12 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

What's your preference for excessive rainfall in Autumn based on? I have a friend who enjoys it from the perspective of comfort and relaxation (hearing it against the window for example).

Something like that. It also feels nice and seasonal.

12 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I personally enjoy the crisper Autumn weather. So, dry and sunny but with a frosty morning and some mist too. A lot of rainfall in the UK just tends to equate to muggy and mild unfortunately 😒

I like that as well. I think I prefer the stormy weather from more late September to late October, and then I prefer the drier crisp mornings to take over. I also like a few big fogs in high autumn.

Today has been overcast and rainy so far. Looks like the worst is out the way though and it's going to be a one hit wonder with more settled conditions prevailing from tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Alderc 2.0 We need 7.5 hours a day to get an average May, which is highly unlikely but not impossible.

1971, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1995, 1997, 2011, 2018 and 2020 managed it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

B87 Not to mention, it's possible that a week of May could get substantially above average sunshine levels to make up for the start. Probably not the most likely outcome but who knows at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

So the promise of a red sky and drier conditions around 9pm yesterday evening didn't materialise, and instead it's dull and damp with occasional spells of light rain.

Some forecasts suggested sunshine and showers, but that hasn't happened either.

3/10 for this bank holiday weekend. One good day and two poor ones.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

CryoraptorA303 which week of May is that?  Doesn’t look overly sunny this week. 

Just started raining, looks wet for the rest of the afternoon now. 

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 1

Posted

Alderc 2.0 Later in the month. It's early days, who knows what could happen in the second half of the month.

Posted

Really grim out there and peeking at the radar, doesn’t look like getting any better for the rest of the day. 

Sunshine and heavy showers would’ve been cool but no. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Doesn't make it bad ofc. I like Autumn. But imo it's not a season of life. Days shortening, animals going into hibernation, etc.

Autumn has become such a trainwreck of a season recently. We have an extension / last burst of summer in September then a washout October and sometimes November. Last autumn with slightly drier than average Octobers or the overall season were around the mid 2010s but the last notably dry autumn was in 2011 or 2007. Perhaps this year finally we are blessed with a dry calmer autumn that is also fairly sunny and plenty of mists and fogs before clearing to sunshine.

Would love to experience something like a modern day autumn 1978 where it was drier than summer 1995 for the south east. Or an even better autumn is an alpine or continental style one with a clear defined cooldown and that feel of seasonality plus the stunning foliage colours.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted

Azazel BBC said it was showers. This deffo ain't showers! How the hell have we got this from the EAst?! Usually all our rain comes from the West!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Last autumn with slightly drier than average Octobers or the overall season were around the mid 2010s but the last notably dry autumn was in 2011 or 2007

2016 was the last notably dry one, it sits just about at the 33rd percentile. Aside from that, 2021 was the last autumn that was in any way decent, and there has been an influx of very wet autumns. As I said I don't mind one of the autumn months, probably October, being a bit wet and stormy, but the last few really have been ridiculous aside from 2021. Likely a sign of what's to come, October/November-March/April will likely just be an eternal autumn from here on out aside from the occasional drier one like 2021 or 2016. I'm not sure we'll ever experience a very dry autumn ever again, notably drier than average sure, but something like 1978 seems essentially impossible now. 2011 or 2007 are probably near the walls of possibility on both ends of the extreme (2011 warm and dry, 2007 cooler and dry).

*Stormforce~beka* Consequence of abnormally warm SSTs for the time of year and the exceptionally warm atmosphere globally. A lot of forecasts are probably simply failing to comprehend just how high the evaporation rate/moisture capacity is right now. We need a long lived block to stop the rain for any prolonged period of time at this point, any opening becomes a gaping wound under these conditions.

• Like 1

Posted

Haven't seen this ball of sun yet? Looks more than LIGHT rain SHOWERS!!?! Completely wrong! abcde! image.thumb.png.4629fb46a3a95b5999e054916dc307e5.png

• Like 1

Posted

At least it does kind of feel like spring rainfall today and not an autumnfest like a lot of the rain this year up until this point has.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Alderc 2.0 this week looks to be low 20s, dry with sunny spells here. Is the forecast for the south worse or something?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Bank Holiday weekend gets an overall rating of 4/10 for me, primarily because of Saturday.

Saturday was perfect for early May, beautiful day.  Perfect in every way.

Sunday, where I was on the South Coast, was a complete dud.  Heavy drizzle pretty much all day only clearing late in the day.  Cool and very misty.  Awful day that ruined my trip to Weymouth.

Today, unless something drastic happens, looks like becoming another dud as a whole rash of heavy downpours/rain appears to be moving in from the east.  Currently cloudy with worse to come as we progress into the evening.

After Saturday I thought our luck may have changed and we were in for a better than forecast BH weekend, but no, Sunday & today were/appear to be worse than forecast.  No sunny spells & isolated showers here, full on washout days/half days.

Looking forward to a drier working week ahead.  Hopefully weekend too.  Let’s hope the cloud does one though as I really don’t want more dull, grey days even if they are dry.

• Like 1

Posted

cheese Not particularly, it looks the same here. We won't get 9001 sunshine hours, sure, but it will at least be average levels if not a bit above.

*Stormforce~beka* It does here, more constant lightish rainfall than massive stormy bursts that you'd more expect to see in the autumn months.

Posted

CryoraptorA303 definitely not here. Feels like every other frontal rainfall day. Featureless, stratiform sky with constant moderate rainfall. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Metwatch That continental style autumn you speak of was pretty much autumn 2016. Hot September, quaint but normal October but very dry, then a cold November with a lot of frost. My favourite autumn and perhaps season of all time. There was only about one gale the whole season. The colours were remarkable. After a June which may have been one of the wettest months known ever locally, it became very dry in July and August, so the drier ground mixed with the seasonal conditions and no wind storms meant the leaves were stunning. Gosh, I loved autumn 2016. 

Back to present day, this Bank Holiday Monday will go down as one of the bigger duds in London’s history. Poured with rain all day so far. Even the sunshine at dawn occurred with spits of rain. Some of it’s been really heavy too. The 2nd and 6th alone will stop this from being notably dry even if high pressure is to rule. It’s also the second 6th of May in a row to pour with rain all day. 

Posted

Azazel Interesting, to me that's more springlike than constant bursting of heavy rains which I associate more with mid-autumn. Lighter but longer lived rainfall has always seemed more of a spring trait to me.