Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Jan 2004 redux? ❄️ ⛈️ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I don't think there was any such streamer in early 2009. 

Sorry 2009/10 memory going but i didn't dream it.Regulary through into Feb

image.thumb.png.5979c46af3770e119a2209560c65deba.png

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Early 2009 many occasions occurred of slack dense cold over UK.Streamers set up dumping 9" snow regularly off the Irish Sea through Lancs into Yorks.

Chart not exactly to the day but you get my gist

image.thumb.png.c1cc17a969a42d432e4dd217a139b7d7.png

That cold spell was a short easterly blast followed by a kind of cold zonality with low pressure interacting withe the cold air.  No streamers coming off the Irish sea during that spell.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

That cold spell was a short easterly blast followed by a kind of cold zonality with low pressure interacting withe the cold air.  No streamers coming off the Irish sea during that spell.

I have corrected myself 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Jan 4-6 2010 you did an article on it for netwx 

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Boom what a chart that is at 216 - the Atlantic is dying - stoping moving east

IMG_2617.png

IMG_2618.png

Nice to see lower heights pushed down towards Africa there.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I have corrected myself 

Funny enough, early Feb 2009 is not a bad choice to use anyway because although we haven't got that easterly blast  the Atlantic interacting with the cold air is what happened and could happen again this time

image.thumb.png.d84217b6f9f02b14252549dbc621e235.png image.thumb.png.5bb0f89861528a6a9701b401abf631ca.pngimage.thumb.png.9ad4da76a6cdb5b9d4af5adfe5238a4e.pngimage.thumb.png.af1bd3e62f5b68edab37f96186c54b3a.png

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MJB said:

Yep and in slack winds they aren't going very far, remember I am talking about IMBY, no doubt some areas that are close to the moisture will do ok.......I think, but my money would be on a dry week for many down the spines of England and Wales 

That's bang on Kas ,I remember Dec 2022, everyone saying instability and features will be popping up , cold for sure, snow no

Yeah only Kent and North York Moors got anything significant out of December 2022. Looking at the charts one might think instability would be extensive with features popping up regularly:

image.thumb.png.1f98f1281e2ccb8978a2eebc6ec9d364.png

When in reality the lack of thermal gradient in the slack flow only results in very localized (but intense) features that don't last particularly long either, often only covering one or two counties. 

For the type of trough development many on here are suggesting is possible, i.e. covering large portions of the UK, a far more unstable flow is required. For example, this flow from November 2005. Or progression of a larger trough / low such as the one from Iceland / to our South West could provide the extent of convection required for more widespread snowfall.

image.thumb.png.dc49b2c38779c4ae29d95ea9f23a8b82.png

Now I'm not suggesting that there wont be any snow chances in the upcoming cold spell. Just that if we end up with a quiet area of low pressure under slack winds then likelihood in building widespread heavy troughs is quite low, as proven by the previous cold spell and December 2022. This is proven by the accumulation charts shown by the GFS/ECM/GEM etc. These are fair in giving an indication of potential and if the slack flow indicated was indicative of heavy trough development then these charts would reflect this and show more extensive snow accumulation. This could still change though. We may still source an active and larger area of low pressure which is certainly possible.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

For London, the ensembles confirm the op was an outlier for 850 temps at D10 (shocker!):

image.thumb.png.fc6a90abd1f7e55db30a27812bdfbf0e.png Manchester: image.thumb.png.ce59e6ab35823d801f211050add2f2cd.png

The trend was a rise versus the op, a fall at D10.

Also, there is an outlier at 500hPa at D9. 

But overall not a bad mean, even if the OP is maybe a tad colder than likely on this run.

The negative is the synoptic mean at D10:

EDM1-240-3.thumb.GIF.0d7b84d9aa4eb57ae1a18cdd8140ae5d.GIF

No mean undercut going on there, and in fact very similar to GEFS:

image.thumb.png.eddec23edf612b74dcc7165e1c8e537c.png

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

ECM looks very good this morning, not so keen on the GFS.

With those 850s and flow on the ECM, there would be features popping up all over the place. No worries about that run being dry closer to the time.

Edited by NewEra21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I tell you what, if the charts usually get upgraded throughout the day, as is the feeling on here, then we could be seeing some great charts later. 

I think some are being a bit unfair to Kasim this morning. He's merely reporting what he sees. Individual reports of "well it snowed in my back garden last time" are purely anecdotal. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Now I'm not suggesting that there wont be any snow chances in the upcoming cold spell. Just that if we end up with a quiet area of low pressure under slack winds then likelihood in building widespread heavy troughs is quite low, as proved by the previous cold spell and December 2022. This is proven by the accumulation charts shown by the GFS/ECM/GEM etc. These are fair in giving an indication of potential and if the slack flow indicated was indicative of heavy trough development then these charts would reflect this and show more extensive snow accumulation. This could still change though. We may still source an active and larger area of low pressure which is certainly possible.

Sure about that? You did say "Dry as a Sahara run for most of UK."

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I have corrected myself 

Slack flows and breathe

Screenshot_2024-01-11-07-56-26-40_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, MJB said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed if I'm honest, seen these situations before, MBY will end up bone dry . Yes it's nice to see frosts which stays all day but ultimately its all about the snow. I await the lot of ppn to approach,

Yep not a great ECM run. All very slack. Likely just to see the cold air peter out from that without producing anything very much down south. Should be decent for Scotland though especially off those northerly snow flurries.

The models are all miles better than they looked 2 weeks ago. Just nowhere near as good as they looked 2 days ago. And with a week to go, that’s a worrying trend.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

For London, the ensembles confirm the op was an outlier for 850 temps at D10 (shocker!):

image.thumb.png.fc6a90abd1f7e55db30a27812bdfbf0e.png Manchester: image.thumb.png.ce59e6ab35823d801f211050add2f2cd.png

The trend was a rise versus the op, a fall at D10.

Also, there is an outlier at 500hPa at D9. 

But overall not a bad mean, even if the OP is maybe a tad colder than likely on this run.

The negative is the synoptic mean at D10:

EDM1-240-3.thumb.GIF.0d7b84d9aa4eb57ae1a18cdd8140ae5d.GIF

No mean undercut going on there, and in fact very similar to GEFS:

image.thumb.png.eddec23edf612b74dcc7165e1c8e537c.png

Those charts don’t show outliers with maybe the exception of day 10 .

those ensembles charts aren’t great at showing individual runs, like what met4cast showed yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Metcheck.thumb.png.7ed651abe1e015fa055891b27f9cf335.png

Just shows what apps are like, I have refreshed and refreshed but where are Metcheck getting that from for MBY LOL

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
6 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

"Most"

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowking said:

And whilst it’s a fun exercise in imagination, there is absolutely no use in looking at any form of precipitation chart beyond (if I’m being really generous) 90 hours other than for a brief fanciful glance if you really want to torture yourself.

This is very true.

It’s the synoptic trend which concerns me more at the moment.

There’s no escaping the fact that the past 48 hours the models, all of the big three anyway, have been backing away somewhat from 1. deeply intense potent northerly and 2. powerful under-cut low across southern Britain.

It may all pep up again but I’m not liking this trend. It usually only means one thing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter. Anything extreme.
3 minutes ago, MJB said:

Metcheck.thumb.png.7ed651abe1e015fa055891b27f9cf335.png

Just shows what apps are like, I have refreshed and refreshed but where are Metcheck getting that from for MBY LOL

GFS 8z run for today, not available to us 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

That was on the back of one chart someone had posted.. I don’t think he meant the whole thing….

• Like 1