Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
41 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

ECM no where near though unfortunately 

IMG_2719.png

We have until Monday on this- and I’ve seen these bounce until 12hrs out @ fruition! It’s still worth a note.. 

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7

Posted
27 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Yes Matt,  I was thinking the same earlier today, at least we've already had a bit of interest this winter (even if I haven't yet seen falling snow!). The PV models have been interesting watching, definitely not as robust as many a year ("PV of doom!"), and maybe we'll get a split or full reversal before the end of winter to give us another shot at something seasonal. For now, I'm looking forward to enjoying the cold in the coming week.

Totally agree. Parts of the Lakes had the heaviest snowfall they'd seen for many years. We're going into a very cold week. Following week not clear cut but looking above average. I've seen some negativity for Feb all the credible forecasters are suggesting good chances for cold and snow.  Snow chances for NW to Tuesday.  So the usual 2cm for manc. I don't say that in irony! That's actually decent for here

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, sundog said:

It does seem the cold in the US gets cut off just as quickly as ours which is one good thing. 

I noticed that too. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though. It would suggest increased mobility and zonal flow and less amplification which isn't good. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

But look at this profile for the US….I anticipate the jetstream to suddenly ‘unfire’

image.thumb.png.e3f557c8ee15b5d5ff710819c7d7514a.png

Going to be a very interesting week of model watching

BFTP

Sort of, although had some of the mean charts that showed robust heights and the talk of highs shuffling around at high latitudes converted into a memorable cold spell then we would have all been in the regionals measuring our snow this week. 

snow for some but overall a fairly standard cold snap for what is the heart of winter. 

we then have 7/10 days (minimum) of westerlies with euro heights to take us into the last knockings of proper winter.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I noticed that too. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though. It would suggest increased mobility and zonal flow and less amplification which isn't good. 

I thought it would be the opposite- the lift out of cold in North America would lead to a weakening of the jetstream and reduce the Zonal onslaught?

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, kumquat said:

If you were to tell me back in October we'd be seeing charts like this mid-January at T96, I'd bite your hand off.

spacer.png

Even if you knew it only meant snow for mainly Scotland and zero for Gloucestershire?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
39 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Even if you knew it only meant snow for mainly Scotland and zero for Gloucestershire?

Impossibe to ascertain from a T+96 500hpa chart.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

But look at this profile for the US….I anticipate the jetstream to suddenly ‘unfire’

image.thumb.png.e3f557c8ee15b5d5ff710819c7d7514a.png

Going to be a very interesting week of model watching

BFTP

Is your thinking that we could see heights rises  to the North  East being modelled later next week?

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yep - plenty of potential in that no matter what the current NWP models are showing. All sorts of things can crop up in 96 hours with low T850's covering the whole country (incl. Eire / N.Ire)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Is your thinking that we could see heights rises  to the North  East being modelled later next week?

I’m thinking we’ll see some northward ridging appearing.  Where that settles up for grabs but Atlantic train not a long distance express

BFTP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Impossibe to ascertain from a T+96 chart.

Not impossible at all. We are pretty much 90% certain where snow will fall and 100% where it won't for some.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Yep - plenty of potential in that no matter what the current NWP models are showing. All sorts of things can crop up in 96 hours with low T850's covering the whole country (incl. Eire / N.Ire)

Don’t see where any surprises are meant to come from. Flow isn’t strong nor established enough. Winds very slack in the ‘dead zone’ to the N of that LP skirting to the S.

If you’re in the Midlands, for example, any snow chances look isolated.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Not impossible at all. We are pretty much 90% certain where snow will fall and 100% where it won't for some.

Well for a start, the chart is 5 days away. Last Monday was dry 5 days away and yet that had mostly light snow across large parts of the South.

Secondly, the chart is not a high-resolution precipitation chart, so it doesn't contain any details, good or bad.

Thirdly, even if a high resolution chart at T+6 says no, the verification is not 100% and nowcast would still need to be applied.

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Wow

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

Don’t see where any surprises are meant to come from. Flow isn’t strong nor established enough. Winds very slack in the ‘dead zone’ to the N of that LP skirting to the S.

If you’re in the Midlands, for example, any snow chances look isolated.

Agree, these 'surprises' are usually when you get a cold flow established , next week we go WNW to N and then NW in 48 hrs.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM day 10 throws up a plume from the south, going to be a big difference in temperature compared to this Tuesday coming if it's anywhere near correct, still cold next week no doubt but have to say it's at the lower end of where I would have hoped just a few days ago, once the breakdown started appearing it hasn't let go, first signs had to be the weakening of the Greenland high.

Edited by Matt Jones
  • Insightful 1

19 minutes ago, kumquat said:

If you were to tell me back in October we'd be seeing charts like this mid-January at T96, I'd bite your hand off.

spacer.png

That is something I think we all forget about and we are in jan, southern England saw a great snow event in 2018 march if Wednesday doesn’t come off which I really am on the fence now leaning towards it but if not then the winter is here for a while 

Posted
7 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Again subtle hints of a few runs trending colder again on the mogreps...come on folks work with me here  🍻😉

mogreps850london.png

mogreps850birmingham.png

mogreps850liverpool.png

mogreps850norwich.png

Checking the mslp stamps shows it’s just cool zonal on some runs Matt 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, kumquat said:

spacer.png

I wouldn’t, if you’d offered me this I would have bitten your hand off…IMG_5737.thumb.png.dd82348459f0d80bb501226aa12f3059.png

That T96 chart isn’t great at all, no blocking to sustain the cold southward progression, that’s just the reality of where we are and pretending like that t96 chart is good will only lead to more disappointment really.

There’s pretty much cross model agreement on the Greenland vortex powering up and an enormous high pressure cell to our south /sw, seen it countless winters and it’s a winter killer unfortunately, I know people don’t like to hear it but it’s reality.

• Like 3