Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
8 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

These warnings will wax n wane over the nxt few days- as to be expected in such a flow- tiny increments will change possible warning ⚠️ zones/ areas.  Seen this MANY times ..

Unless there are systems/fronts  and other that what's currently being discussed, there won't be any , you won't see any warnings suddenly crop up, I think this week is virtually sorted now 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

Eh? There has been no mention about rain this week ! If these mild sectors are now popping up then it’s new

Not new as such, just as we get closer the models firm up, in this case on what was already there, all lows have a warm sector, so it's always been there.

• Like 2

Posted

The METO not mentioning  the southern region isn't that surprising, pretty much all the models they use mainly are in the 'southern' camp, UKV is south, ECM Op is relatively  south, probably about 80-85% of the ECM ensembles are south or just clip with a tiny amount and UKMO GM is south.

I'm sure they are keeping a watching brief just incase, especially as at the moment its a bit of a low risk high impact situation but the weight of all the global model output is still pretty strongly towards it remaining in the channel, if only by a little. History would suggest thats the most likely outcome as well.

The fact there are small margins is why though it will still be watched, probably more than its probable 10-20% risk would normally warrant.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Can I make this clear.. this is not quite the intended gist of my post.

They do not automatically increase just 'errors'. They increase the total amount of data (Including errors), this has the result that it increases the volatility of the output data (a larger envelope if you like). The overall effect will be more of a more chaotic output.

We are already seeing this with the models overreacting to some sorts of signals, particularly in a 'stuck' pattern where a small difference here and there can produce a totally opposite outcome.  We also see overblown lows very frequently.......   My gut  'feeling' is that this will happen more frequently if we just add in more computing power.

We will at the moment benefit more by sorting out the software glitches, than by spending many millions on hardware. Its the balance really which is important moving forward.

Midlands Ice Age   ( i don't only post at midnight?)

Hi MIA 

thanks for your post again and brilliant. It is as the last ones you put out as well and thanks for the corrections. I think you made an interest in point about overblown Lows  as well and that’s a classic example of why can’t they update the algorithms /systems with data that would then output are more realistic option .

it will be great when we see the day when they can put in place, what you have suggested, and correct the software. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, steveinsussex said:

Eh? There has been no mention about rain this week ! If these mild sectors are now popping up then it’s new

We have been talking about it raining in the North West for 4 days. Stupid mild sector in the low. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!
5 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Icon has low further south affecting northern France and missing south uk

Though, the cold is now extended to next Sunday!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
9 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Icon has low further south affecting northern France and missing south uk

Did also note the -8 850's don't get that far south either 

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon all,great write up from Matt H all models showing this very cold blast with still a possibility of snow in the south that has lingered on and off for a while. Then what looks like a milder spell that may well be short lived,with northern blocking perhaps showing up in the charts not so far away.The impact  of the blocking being assisted by the SSW.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I’m rallying this 12z gfs run..

B2E351A9-8219-44FD-8CE8-1924413EEE56.png

E5767B60-3EED-427F-BAB2-6D6B595E1FDB.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Bummer 🙄🤦‍♂️.. still not completely shutting this 1 down just yet.. this is the crux of northward transfer!!.. I’ll still await ens.. nxt suites I think…@north west waver spoiler -

71F39F82-D6C7-4B90-8FF0-968AB0524460.png

AEFFC259-6580-4F1F-80F0-0645303C2571.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10

The ensembles show my earlier point almost every time.  Good clustering (consensus) up to 5, sometimes 6 days.  After that anyones guess.  

in this latest case I would say after the cold spell, the signal is for seasonally average with the possibility of milder or colder outbreaks ahead…..

IMG_7282.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

Just wanted to say very well done to John Holmes who marked our cards a few days back that Westerly winds were imminent while the rest of us were drooling over charts. How right he was!!

All change for end of week as the Atlantic takes over again. Positives are the musings from the Strat that things still look favoured for further blocking. For me and going by experience it's at least 2 weeks back from chart below

image.thumb.png.039e8b9d9e8c178ff402223bbb10ca15.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

The silence says it all…………. The low is dropping south….. 😩all I can hope is for it to clip the Isle of Wight

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

The silence says it all…………. The low is dropping south….. 😩all I can hope is for it to clip the Isle of Wight

Still time for change I guess?! Can someone say which models are showing what now and at what point does it become ‘nailed on’? Thankyou 

Posted
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

It's just got to be said I'm afraid - you just can't possibly sugar coat the output today. It's awful. 

ECH1-240 (6).gif

iconnh-0-168.png

gfsnh-0-192 (2).png

Where did the shuffling heights go?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
7 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Still time for change I guess?! Can someone say which models are showing what now and at what point does it become ‘nailed on’? Thankyou 

ECM GFS ICON UKMO, they all say the front is in the channel. Cross model support I'd say its pretty certain. Yes there is a chance but we're just 48 hours from it now

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, Zero Visibility said:

spacer.png 

Not good unfortunately. 🙁

Still talking about a 60 mile shift northwards for this run to bring the South into the game, marginal adjustments, unfortunately with UKMO, Icon and ECM all singing from the same hymn sheet, the odds are not in our favour.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
16 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

It's just got to be said I'm afraid - you just can't possibly sugar coat the output today. It's awful. 

ECH1-240 (6).gif

iconnh-0-168.png

gfsnh-0-192 (2).png

Yes, with high pressure forecast to build over mainland Europe ,it leaves the UK in Yuk Yuk territory. None descript weather with cloud laden south westerlies, wind ,rain especially for Northern Britain and mild ,perhaps very mild. 😩😩😩

• Like 5