Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted

Back in NI for the weekend and the weather is lovely compared to what I left the house to this morning! Beautiful sunny day and reaching 15c this afternoon. Lovely walk round the coast and a beer outside later if it stays like this! Good for the soul 😀

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Shouldn't have typed that as the weather gods are now laughing at me as it pishes down 🫣🤣

• Like 5

Posted

It must be spring: 4c in northern Scotland after recent snow and 18c in the south east of England. 

Some pretty heavy downpours moving through here too this afternoon.

I didn't bother staying up to watch the snow last night but I think we ended up with a decent cover given it was still melting in the rain first thing this morning. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Fun morning at Glencoe, even managed a couple of laps from the top of the Main Basin right down to the carpark. Those who tried late afternoon had to give up and walk from about half way down the Access Chair.

Somewhat depressing that most if not all the new snow will be gone by the morning. If things had stayed like this morning in terms of cover for the weekend, everything run wise on the Plateau could have been open, with the Rannoch Chair and Coire Pollach Tow going. Instead its going to be a round number of skiers this weekend!

• Like 8

Posted

A   wall of warm air hit you when opened the door this morning after more overnight rain at 14c

• Like 5

Posted

Temperature up to 10c, overcast but dry.  Really gusty winds though, one pane polycarbonate already popped out of cold frame - had no issues with that over the winter so go figure!

PS - untold riches await whomever comes up with good quality peat-free compost, it's dire the stuff bought the last two years and that's spanning the range from Lidl to levington.  1st world problems...

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Was down near Preston today, wind was not notable and when I left it was 17c. Very pleasant.

The drive home was wind assisted until I hit the border, turning West was when I felt it. 
Infrequent strong gusts here, sunshine at times. 14c. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I appreciate that the winds were forecast, so no complaints, but I'm very surprised at just how windy it's become over the past two hours.  Being inland we normally have our winds tempered, but this is a real hoolie, probably as bad as I've seen any time in the past ten years.  Poly tunnel in jeopardy, and fortunate that trees not yet in leaf.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been murder here, really bad. And we're on the east side. Noise of the wind was scary.

• Like 2

Posted

Stormy SW winds have not let up since yesterday, but they are drying up the ground at speed.

12c currently, though not feeling like that in the wind.  Some decent sunny spells and feeling lovely in the greenhouse (so lucky to have that).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Quinach Exactly the same here dust starting to blow on tracks. Hoping to have a go sowing tomorrow if this keeps up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Headed off for a couple of days break across in Inveraray. Roads remarkably quiet but did go through a couple of torrential hail storms near Dalmally. Settling in nicely here at the Inn after a few drinks including complimentary Prosecco and a nice bar meal.

IMG_2716.png

• Like 8

Posted

I know that view well Norrance, wish I was there now 😭

• Like 3

Posted

Another very windy morning three days now.   Ground drying up well currently  12c

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

As above, a few decent but windy days with plenty of sunshine and only a couple of fleeting showers - quite pleasant at times in the shelter of the woods! 

Tomorrow looks pretty grim though and will probably undo all the good work the wind and sun has been doing to the ground conditions! 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I’ve heard of the game “The floor is lava” now we have “The road is river”. 
088BB795-9F1C-4628-8F00-7C11E146096E.thumb.jpeg.94602770f91aba3882b3d32f4fe0bec3.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Back to square one ground saturated this morning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It really is a naff spring so far...

image.thumb.png.a154a86eb6150c43e836e3014a8d58a4.png

6c, strong NW wind, rain and yet more rain.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

"The north wind doth blow and we shall have snow". Pure winter afternoon with strong NW wind dull and 6c. Finished ploughing neep ground yesterday so all ready for spring barley sowing. Spring is going to a difficult one but at least in north of Scotland we have long days in May and June when plants can catch up on growth at least one benefit of being so far north . In Scandinavia they  have spring barley varieties that go from sowing to harvest in 100 days with their long midsummer days.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Spring, what Spring? Looks as if Thursday and Friday may be decent before we head downhill again.

A high of 8C today, but that was around 1am, daylight hours have been around 5C. Rain hasn't been as bad as it could have been, 18.8mm so far, none of it at all welcome but compared to some days over the last few months it's merely 'normal'. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Unusually wet for April. Another 24.6mm which will take us to 85mm for the month, already above the monthly average. 
So windy as well, was gusting to 40mph for a short time earlier.

On a positive note, the sun is packing a punch now. Before the rain arrived yesterday the car was reading 14c and it certainly felt very mild.  

We really need some drier weather.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can only hope the Norwegians (yr.no) are having a laugh for next Tuesday and Thursday 🫣 

Screenshot_20240409-230116.thumb.png.17d5f7370824da89331b8358cafe2ada.png

• Like 4

Posted

Utter pits.

• Like 2

Posted

A virtual repeat of yesterday's rainfest, you can see why you are getting headlines like this -

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Reduction in yields means UK will be dependent on imports for wheat in coming year and possibly beyond

Currently 7c, light winds, 100% Permagloom™ with some light rain - much heavier earlier on but that seems to be it for the rest of the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1