Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ingunn - Norwegian storm

Posted

I understand people are busy and stuff but anytime someone posted a question on the model thread that I knew the answer to or could help them with it I did.  Seems my question about this Storm and it's formation was completely ignored.  Obviously no one had an obligation to answer it and I am being a tad moody but I always found NW to be a great learning environment.. I can't quote my original question as Idk how to.  But basically my question was why this Storm underwent it's rapid deepening over 10-15W whereas Isha and Jocelyn did so way out over the NW Atlantic.  I read somewhere it had something to do with the Jetstream splitting off into two "arms".  Not the right meteorological term but it was something like that.

Posted

jmp223 Best I've been able to figure is it's all to do with a strong inflow of cold air entering from the N/NW just as the low exited the jet stream and slamming into it. The warm side of the front was very warm so the temp diff between the two was big. So I think my answer is that it's because popped out of the jet stream just where the angle and position of the cold air streaming down over Greenland would slam straight into it. I'd love to hear from anyone willing to try to work out how it may have behaved had it popped out further west or further east than it did. As an aside, when the cold front passed over me conditions were brutal for maybe 3-4 minutes with torrential rain, a veritable wall of hail and enormous wind gusts. It scared me. I'm no weather professional, at best I'm an enthusiastic, if incompetent, amateur. The only thing I was able to find on a very cursory search was this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Many thanks Fiona, that explanation makes a lot of sense to me and is something I can understand/visualise.  Have a nice weekend 😊

Oh and yes, I'm not too far from you and for 30 minutes or so experienced some pretty intense precipitation and wind gusts.  If I recall the wind was pretty strong-stronger than forecast--for much of the day.

Edited by jmp223
Add text
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I think most Atlantic storms form in a similar way really. Big temp difference fire's up the jet and makes any lp's more potent. Where they undergo strengthening and weakening really depends where the jet takes them although much like hurricanes they almost always start weakening quickly when they're over land.