Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Months that were mild, but still contained at least a widespread snow event

Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Following December 2023 with the brief snow event for Midlands and north on the 2nd/3rd and it being mild with a CET of 7.0, I was wondering what other months were mild but still had at least one widespread enough snow event.

To class a month as mild, for any winter month, the CET should be above 5.5C, but for November anything above 6.5C would be high enough as in winter the same figure would be very mild. Spring months in particular i'm less interested in, but March 2023 and Aprils like 1981 / 1908 could be considered maybe if their CET are 6.0C or higher for March and April.

Other ones I can think of on the spot:

November 2021: A CET of 7.2C but some snow in the final few days, with about 3-4cm here on the 28th.

February 2019: Snow event in the south on the first day, had a CET of 6.9C.

January 2016: some snow for central areas on the 16-17th, with the month CET coming out at 5.5C

February 2007: A decent amount of snow on the 7-8th, the monthly CET was 6.0C.

Edit: December 2000 just about another one, CET of 5.4C then snow end of month.

Those who I think would have a better idea of pre 21st century months: @Summer8906 @Thundery wintry showers and @damianslaw , contributions most welcome!

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Hmm... difficult as most snow events tend to occur during generally cold months, but a famous one was January 6th 1994.

The month was mostly wet and fairly mild (though not silly-mild) but it did feature a sudden rain-to-snow event on January 6th in which rain suddenly turned to snow and continued for an hour or two before leaving a good cover.

The day after wasn't that cold though and the snow steadily thawed during the next 2 days, even before the next lot of rain arrived three days later.

It looked like a standard Atlantic low: it didn't have a notably potent northerly behind it but it had a cold-ish NW-ly, and perhaps in those days it was easier to get snow out of this kind of synoptic setup. The legendary "cold zonality", often talked about but rarely seen these days.

I have a feeling, from previous threads, that the 1920s were often rather like this: a lot of mild months but a few scattered heavy snow events from time to time.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

February 1920 was very mild with a CET of 6.0°C but there were snowfalls around the 19th/20th

NOAA_1_1920022018_2.png

Doesn't look great but the rain did turn to snow.

4 inches for parts of NW Leicestershire

2 to 3 inches for Birmingham

• Thanks 1

Posted

January 2018 a far better month to the january just gone for snow..

image.thumb.png.01818b6517e4203cde523c61ae6d9b6c.png

February 2007 is the best eg I ve ever seen though..

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

December 1997 is another one going back a bit. The brief easterly midmonth had a snowy breakdown.

Its still amazing how that whole spell just fell apart…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

February 2004.  Had snow in various areas at the end of the month

I think December 2002 had snow in some areas on the 10th

22 February 1995.  This was a very mild month but many areas had a thundersnow event along a squall line, from a seemingly normal Atlantic low.  This gave a covering in many places

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Dec 1993 CET 5.5
White Christmas otherwise a mild month

Jan 1999 CET 5.5
Widespread band of snow pushed NW to SE on 11th to 12th

Feb 1999 CET 5.3
Almost qualifies but was generally a mild month but with cold and at times snowy week in 2nd week of month

Jan 2008 CET 6.6
A bit of snow off an easterly early in the month and a brief northerly at the end of the month

Feb 2020 CET 6.3
Mild and wet month but a brief spell of persistent snow at the end of the month

Dec 2021 CET 6.4
Brief northerly gave some snow showers at the start of the month. Was about as good as that winter got. Rest was mild.

Mar 2023 CET 7.0
Some snow between around 7th and 10th, otherwise a mild month

• Like 1

Posted

End of March 1952

4th April 1961, this occurred during an exceptionally mild spell from February-April 1961, looks similar to what happened in early February this year

image.thumb.png.22e02c499bf3b2e9d5c70e10fef78135.png

I have seen one report saying it was Nottingham's first snow since February 1960 and Liverpool's first snow of 1961 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Feb 2007 first month that springs to mind, snow widespread in central parts in an otherwise mild month.

Jan 95 another one but the snow reserved for north of england, more than the south I believe.

Such months are a rarity, widespread UK snowfalls tend to come from either cold easterlies which signify long lasting cold, or cyclonic cold set ups which again are associated with longer lasting cold. 

Posted

This month nearly did Thursday before last but it went bust just before.

December 2023 

April 2022

November 2021

February 2019

November 2015

Posted

This month on the 8th left a decent covering but it’s still a month for the bin.

We had 5 days of consecutive snow last March  with probably the heaviest snow here since the Beast from the East on the 10th. 

We had some snow on the 3rd January 2022 and 19th February 2022, both mild months. 

January 2016 saw a few days of snow mid month.

Boxing Day 2014 we had heavy snow. In fact that winter was a decent one for snow here although poor in other parts, with several falls in January and February. 

I remember waking up snow cover one Saturday morning in February 2011.

Posted

I had snow twice in February 2020 (A big one on the 10th and a little bit on the 29th). That month was notoriously mild and wet in most of the country

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Did anybody mention January 1988?