Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Rain Is There Any Sign Of It Ending?

Posted

Let's not send another weather related thread down the politics rabbit hole please...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Summer8906 yes i know ☹️. As fir the high pressure, i dunno why but i feel as we get into May we are gonna see a long dry spell lasting through the summer; i have no evidence or anything to back it up, i just feel like once it flips it will stay dry and potentially record breaking heat again if those deadly heatwaves hit Europe and the uk once more in the summer months.  

I guess we will see if i am correct but still, I would definitely take the dry over the constant rain since November 

Methuselah yes, probably.  

As for the weather; I do not believe it is currently possible to have a full 24 hour period with no rain, and probably the last time was last summer 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Fen Wolf Let's hope that the UK gets the warm sunny summer, but the same pattern actually gives wetter and cooler weather than normal in southern Europe (as often happens). It would arguably be good for both locations - wetter and cooler than normal in southern Europe would still be warm and sunny by our standards, but would avert the risk of fires.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Fen Wolf I'd expect the laws of balance would see us flip into an abnormally dry pattern. And, of course, consistent dryness in summer these days is almost invariably a guarantee of warm to hot weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

raz.org.rain In the meantime, after nine months of almost constant rainfall, are we facing yet another summer of hosepipe bans?

How much rain do we need for our water supplies to be secure -- four more years? 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

raz.org.rain These laws of balance have been awfully lop-sided for the past ten or so years though, my only caution with this belief! 

But such an extreme that's lasted for long does mean the longer it goes on the more likely it is to end but I don't believe it'll "balance" itself out due to recent historical trends but we'll see! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I suppose we can answer this as "yes, at least for now" with no heavy rain, at least, on the horizon after the current system has cleared.

Some showers, some drizzle fronts, but probably no deluges for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

With apologies to those in W Scotland, N Wales, or NW England, for the rest of us, it does indeed look like a better 10 days or so ahead. Some areas in the south and east possibly even quite dry. At my location probably somewhere in between - drier than of late but still showery at times. Still a vast improvement.

Again though, apologies to those in any of the above mentioned locations - doesn't look like much of a break for you yet.

• Like 2

Posted

WYorksWeather and to add to that, away from the West, rainfall totals have been a lot lower over the last few days, so hopefully the ground is starting to dry out at long last. Once the tipping point is reached where evapotranspiration is higher than rainfall, things should dry out fairly rapidly. The end of April should look a lot different than the beginning, good news for gardeners, farmers, and anyone leaving the house really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

richie3846 Unfortunately that isn't the case here. In March we had 45.8mm of rain but the first 9 days of April have already seen 36.8mm (and counting, as its raining now).

We're already at 80% of the monthly average just 9 days in, so its almost  definitely going to be wetter than average for a 10th consecutive month here.

Posted

My garden was the wettest I've ever seen it this morning with a lot of standing water (I've only lived here since early January though). So I don't think there has been any improvement at all in terms of the ground drying out here.

Lots of golf courses in the area still have holes closed due to being waterlogged which I can't remember ever happening before this late in spring.

Saturday was a dry, breezy, warmish day here which did dry the ground out to a degree but any time we get a dry day, we get torrential rain again the next day and we're back to square one (or even worse than before).

Very much a case of one step forward, two steps back which is incredibly depressing. Especially looking at the latest GFS run this evening.

• Like 2

Posted

Scorcher my front garden seems to be trying to build a custom swimming pool for me so maybe soon i can go out and swim in the rainwater without having to build it myself 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nice dry spell coming from tomorrow so hopefully it will last a while for all of us 🤞🏻

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

My BBC forecast has rain every single day for the next week. No dry spell coming here. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Met. Not sure why looking at the fax charts. No weather fronts across your area after today. Showers can't be ruled out but it looks almost completely dry for your area after today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Scorcher yeah the Met office forecast here shows no rain after today. The BBC always seem to show rain for some reason.

Posted

cheese The BBC local automated forecasts are shocking nowadays. Met Office are much better but overdo cloud amounts and often underdo the temps I find.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Scorcher Met Office site has just added showers for all afternoon tuesday and wednesday now!!! Lmao.... I hope it's wrong.

Edited by Met.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1