Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - November 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Certainly an unstable environment today with low heights and very cold mid levels (-30°C at 5300m).

Had a shower pass through here bringing some quite squally winds. Thought I could capture some mammatus like a weather watcher did in Birmingham shortly before, but couldn't spot any.

dji_fly_20240122_165506_832_1705942626477_photo_optimized2.thumb.jpg.b396369e25ff3fc4acaf36ebcf78fa2b.jpg

dji_fly_20240122_165628_836_1705942631087_photo_optimized2.thumb.jpg.d39deab42dc3ee118f8ad05373f46f2f.jpg

Some amazing lightning and hail from that Yorkshire storm!

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 9

Posted

Quite a beefy little feature moving slightly south of Cambridge, no lightning detected as of yet though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms /winter storms and blizzards.
56 minutes ago, Wade said:

Quite a beefy little feature moving slightly south of Cambridge, no lightning detected as of yet though

I was looking on radar there was some lightning towards Ipswich area. 

Posted

Just had some very squally weather conditions here in the last 45 minutes or so. Sounded like it had some hail in it, and very heavy rain. All quiet now though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
5 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Just had some very squally weather conditions here in the last 45 minutes or so. Sounded like it had some hail in it, and very heavy rain. All quiet now though.

near here bud?

image.thumb.png.cae84e5dd17107f77bfd7b2ef9e93e5f.png

& you found the correct thread 👍

Edited by StingJet

Posted
13 minutes ago, Robert1981 said:

I was looking on radar there was some lightning towards Ipswich area. 

I noticed that after I posted my comment

Edited by Wade
  • Like 1

Posted

ESSL released their large hail reports earlier today for 2023. Northern Italy and Adriatic region have gotten a lot.

For the UK, 7 larger hail reports, 3 of which reported 3-5cm diameter, which I think were mostly from the mid June thunderstorms.

And of course we can't forgot Jersey seeing a large hail / supercell event from storm Ciaran early November.

GEhKY3oWcAAgb6e.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
12 hours ago, LightningLover said:

Not too long until the convective season begins by my definition (1st April)!

Last year here it started in the second half of March with a surprise overhead storm on the 22nd! Although that was as a result of March being a very unsettled month. Convective season can definitely start earlier if early to mid spring is mostly low pressure dominated!

But yes not too long to go regardless!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Metwatch Yeah I know what you mean! I was thinking more in terms of elevated, frequent lightning type storms really, as it's very rare to get one of that definition before then (although not impossible!) My end date for the season is 1st October, although that can be extended on rare occasions like 2023 with the big channel crosser on the 23rd that caught many people (myself included) out!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

LightningLover had one in march, well it was elevated and came south up from France anyway, but it was in a cold south easterly flow, had some dangerous cloud to ground lightening, a bit of snow in the heavy centre, and caused lots of damage in this corner from the lightning, including shutting down the railways, due to hitting or effecting quite a few rail substations. It also had the loudest thunder I'd ever heard in my life, it was literally like an explosion, might have been one perhaps, if that was what blew the Dover rail substation. Car alarms went off, electric all over Dover went off for about a minute, well felt that long anyway, and the rumble seemed to go on forever.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Although it wasn't a prolonged storm driven by warmer air, my first rumble last year was March 10th.  A few rumbles in fact with hailstones.  I hope to cop a decent storm this year and not be tormented by listening to a cracking distant storm 😁🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

Be it a calmer day of late, if only the temprature was a litte higher. Some convection around here within the cloudbreaks. Also north London seems to have some heavy showers emerging from nowhere.

image.thumb.png.e85d0c13c95cf672718ae06bf27ee097.png

• Like 3

Posted

Something i'm noticing as I check the satellite daily even during benign days is there are now less shadows from even higher clouds during the middle of the day as the altitude of the sun becomes higher during solar noon.

Early January here it was about 14°, but now it's over 23°. By the end of this month the sun will be at 30°, which is a sure sign we're heading into spring and soon there is enough strength from the sun to allow daytime convection to develop more easily when the environment is unstable enough!

anim_vis_uk.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

just saw Scotland getting a few bits of lightning image.thumb.png.dc613576bcabee82e6886fc7becf3e58.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Another helpful part of the website for working out where best will be to get clear view of storms and what to expect from them from Cameron Nixon.  Would be helpful to bookmark it for storm days. 

CAMERONJNIXON.WORDPRESS.COM

This is a comprehensive "cheat sheet" of severe convective weather parameters. Definitions of parameters can be found here. Composite parameters and...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mainly thunderstorms and snow

image.thumb.png.dd060925b214b1892f2db611bab9a1bb.pngimage.thumb.png.2fd6235e7f744ba13e7eaf5d09bbcaff.png 

Feeling quite stormy today although there is most definitely no convection or very little

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Nice to see the UKV showing some showers tomorrow and Sunday, likely convective, supported by the Arome too. A sign that convective season is nearby now - not too long until we see the start of home-grown storms! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Dxnielwashere loads of Accas coming through today too! These synoptics would likely go bang late April onward!

• Like 6

Posted

ChannelThunder Unstable sky today. At the moment, light shower with fairly large drops.

• Like 2

Posted

Saw many cumulus surrounding today around 11/12, was wondering if they would clump up but not much convection now I suppose?

My first post 🙂

20240216_135051.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornados and Windstsorms.

Starts out a sunny day till it got darken due to the formation of the clouds on the way back from respite.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Another of the research into storms. This time some lightning data. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 4