Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Much harder flicking through our beloved regional forum without viewing quoted posts. Hopefully it gets swiftly knocked back on the trial and we can resume ease of reading. 

We actually got down to 1C last night. Only 4 degrees below our forecast minimum, not too bad 😂 was clear until about 3/4am. Cloudy now. Looking forward to a sunnier day tomorrow. 

In my opinion, winter is finished now. There’s nothing on the charts that’s remotely cold. February notoriously in recent times doesn’t deliver (and I’m wanting some spring warmth now anyway after we hit 15C the other night. It’s wet my appetite). 

• Like 6

Posted

A rather drab start to the day, overcast with the grey cloak shrouding everything to valley level, have we a SW airstream in place I wonder!... oh yes. All very uninspiring weather day with rain forecast. Bring back last week's weather please. 

• Like 6

Posted

The sun is trying its best to shine in between overcast skies.  Had rain earlier 6.30ish, now dry and pleasant, 10am, 8°C.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Ok well GFS at 240H has gone from +9°C at 850 to -6°C on the next run so  maybe we can't actually say what's going to happen at day 10 lol 🤯😂

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

@Chris.R 

I suppose chaos theory is just that. As the recipe is added to or taken away, the outcome changes.

I've booked Newcastle return on  21st Feb and York Return on 23rd February. We can now predict that there will either be a week of wind storms with rain and / or blizzards covering those dates or the windscreen wipers will fail on the train. That is the theory of SOD.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

@Backtrack

I'll counter that and say, round 2 of Winter from about the second week of Feb.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

@iand61 that was awful and the van used by gang master was an old

LD used to own  ,it was traded in and then sold by garage to them  ,cringed for weeks after and sadly here it is 

IMG_1778.jpeg

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 5

Posted

@Had Worse

we’re going to my mums in Somerset 20th February, my sisters birthday 23rd February, 24th February to Bournemouth to watch City (if we get tickets) 

⚽⚽⚽⚽

then see some friends down in Poole Sunday 25th February from Kent… 

Could be sunny & 20c or as you say more than likely snow or more windstorms… and nightmare journey 🙈🙈🤣😂 

• Like 4

Posted

A day described by the 'd' adjectives... dank, dull, drab, dreary, drizzly, dark, damp, dismal, depressing! No light at all. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8

Posted

Not a bad day here, dry and mild although hardly any glimpses of the sun after mid-morning. My daily cycle ride became a push-bike exercise after a tyre blew out on one of Cheshire East's notorious potholes. I was not best pleased!

Edit - thinking back 34 years to Burns Day 1990, the weather was certainly very different to today, and I remember seeing some sea-front shelters being smashed to bits by huge waves at Little Bispham / Cleveleys on the Fylde coast. 

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 6

Posted

Always bemoan long fetch south west airstreams, whatever the time of year, they mean low level cloud and dullness, in the winter months, thick grey cloud to valley level and drizzle or rain in these parts. We probably suffer worse than other part of England in such synoptics for lack of sunshine. Its now dark. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Pretty poor day up here with an alternating mixture of damp, drizzle and heavier stuff since first light and only the slightest hint of something a bit drier in between.

In forecasting terms it’s probably been classed as mild but the 10.5c on the car coming home felt a lot less when I was getting wet walking to it.

I can stand “mild” in winter providing its accompanied by a bit of brightness but 0c and bright sunshine feels a lot more pleasant than double figure temperatures and rain.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Days are still short, not noticeably longer till late Feb really but they have felt spring like compared to last weeks winter chill 1st/2nd Feb have flagged up as potentially very/ record breaking mild 15-16c in recent model output so one to watch to see if date records fall. Don't think Winter is done with us yet though and like we found out last year and notably so in the past decade late Feb into March can bring colder than average wintry conditions back across us and for some time. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

@Scuba steve doesn’t seem like it happened within a few days of 20 years ago.

Aside from the tragedy and obvious hazards, it’s a stunning  stretch of coastline and somewhere that we are looking seriously at buying a static caravan to sod off at weekends before I start thinking of winding down at work.

Just need to find the right site and hopefully take it from there but I’d like something in place this year and before the missus goes off the idea.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

@iand61 shhh don’t tell everyone it’s a great place lol

• Like 4

Posted

Late January/early Feb feels the depths of winter to me, despite the winter solstice being 5 weeks plus ago. December is influenced by christmas and has a very different feel, whereas Jan and Feb go hand in hand in feel, so it makes sense late Jan/early Feb feels peak winter. Its why I always post about weather folklore on candlemas day 2 Feb, marking the half way point in true winter. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted

Unashamedly copied from social media but just had to share as it’s so funny this was in response to a cyclone warning in aussie 

image.thumb.png.31fcae7f08b71f86e5ac6b1ad15ee447.png

• Like 7

Posted

Miserable sunless damp dark breezy day.  What's all this about mildness?  Haven't been able to feel warm all day.  Pushing the max now, 10.8C but doesn't feel it.

• Like 5

Posted

Get your crystals out to charge and a glass of water outside to make moon water 

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8052.jpeg

IMG_8053.jpeg

IMG_8050.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Mild 10/11c out… was windy but does feel warm out compared to recently… nw tonight saying 15-16c in region coming up… that’ll feel weird… 

2 hours gardening cutting back bushes/ferns/crocosmia and filling the green bin… so many bulbs coming out… have hundreds we planted down the drive and in tubs and pots… 

looking to book a few holidays and get some blooming sunshine ☀️ looking at short breaks to places/long weekends… saw it was 30c something in Spain today wowza that’s like 8-12c above average… crazy 🤪 🥵 ☀️ 

Raul must be having nice warm cruise for his parents anniversary in the Mediterranean 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted

Lively cold front over Ireland, torro have a warning for the odd tornado and 50-60mph gusts

• Like 4