Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sunny

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Joe Snow yep, we could really do with the return of the crisp, cold sunny days, but looks like the damp 'mild' weather is set to continue over the coming days in the reliable model timeframe.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Rob 79812010 Yeah we had a decent covering of snow in both early Dec & like Manchester in mid Jan nothing more than 4-5cm though.

Just not a fan of ‘mild’ Winter weather that is so often damp & drizzly or stormy so you rarely feel the supposed benefit. One last chance at a cold shot with snow for some from mid-late Feb is looking a potential now we shall see. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A Face like Thunder yeah it can, we’re getting beat 2-0 at home to Fulham😩

Thankfully it wasn’t my turn for the tickets.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A Face like Thunder Yes, dark and miserable this afternoon with that kind of properly 'wet' type of drizzly rain that soaks you right through, not the best of days in this part of the region.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Doors done a miserable day now too ,off to the picturedrome in Macclesfield for tea 😀

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Been a grim day. There was a glimer of hope around lunchtime but then the dark gloomy skies arrived and it's been drizzle this last 2 hours now.

Starting to panic about next week now, I'm flying on Thursday morning from Manchester to Dublin and hate travelling in bad weather.

Edited by tricol
  • Like 5

Posted

7c clouds hugging hills dark drizzly afternoon… 

spatchcock poussins spice rubbed, gratinated potatoes (with garlic and spring onions), corn on the cob 🌽 in oven…

well done Luton, ⚽⚽⚽⚽️ my husbands cousin is a Luton supporter, was at at match… he’d of bitten your arm off for a point at Newcastle… 

looking wet rather than white next week but all up in the air as still 5 days plus away… 

• Like 5

Posted

Rob 79812010 4-5cm is a significant snowfall here these days too tbh low lying South Cheshire certainly isn’t snowy although it doesn’t have the Urban Heat Island effect MCR City Centre has. We seem to locally have fallen into a pattern in recent years of brief very cold dry spells that deliver 1 or 2 light coverings of snow vs any significant snowfall - the stuff you can sledge in. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Out for a walk in Freshfield today on the Fisherman's Path. Cloudy but dry there though was sunny at home when I left.

• Like 5

Posted

Joe Snow That amount of snow was always good for where I am. South Manchester. Did you get more with 80's and 90's transitional snowfalls from SW hitting cold air which were more common? The shadow effect meant manchester was always a no no for those. Our legendary snow events of 79 and 2010 from NW Irish Sea snow

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Southerly correction needed (slight) 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_8418.thumb.webp.3d9c83bffed5d4f4e4b39f42284013e0.webp

• Like 5

Posted

Chris.R  yes an event over the 9th,10th, and 11th March last year at some point most of the region saw some snow.  There was a strong wind too the night of the 9th into the early hours which caused some deep drifts over the tops Buxton way.  Despite the winter wonderland scenes on the 10th, the snow didn’t hang about.

20230310_083802.jpg

20230310_084034.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Nearly walked  back to Salwick from an entertaining 3-2 win over Ipswich at Deepdale. 
Gave up. Had to be rescued by missus  on the outskirts. 
Legs gone. Knee a real concern 🥺

• Like 7

Posted

Rob 79812010

Born in 94 so don’t really have any memory of 90s winters although do have pics of me out in what looks to be deep snow in 96, 2001 & I have vague memories of sledging in the snow on Boxing Day 2004. 5th Jan 2010 was better up your way -  here we got around 8-10cm, not bad, Schools closed for a few days but close to a ft of snow in Stockport/ Gtr MCR/  N Cheshire. 18th Jan 2013 was better here than MCR due to the shadow effect - S Cheshire got 6-7cm. Storm Christoph’s heavy rain- wet snow saw 8cm but had gone slushy by lunchtime the next day. Deepest snowfall I’ve seen here was 17th-18th Dec 2010, I measured 12-14cm that stayed on the ground over Xmas 2010. Despite some bitter cold spells its an effort to get past that 5cm mark these days. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 4

Posted

Joe Snow I think the 96 event was the overnight easterly. Only time I've ever known an easterly deliver such heavy snow. Jan 2010 was 13 cm where I was. Brilliant event. 18 Dec 2010 I think was better the further west you were. We got 3cm from that. It was a front from the west I believe that petered out thr further east you got. Liverpool got a pasting I believe. This winters seems to have some late promise so fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

Iceaxecrampon   Sorry to hear that-always concerning.  I had an injection in mine which together with exercise has settled it down a bit  (mind you I can't run!) or has yours gone past that stage now?

• Like 4

Posted

Scuba steve some decent eats in the Picturedrome and the little chinese restaurant up the road is sound too-what you doing down in Macc Scoobs?

• Like 4

Posted

cheshireoak Comes and goes. Not necessarily the cold and time of year. Legs are weaker. Starting to creak! 
Too many Hills. Too much Football. And they say keep fit 🫤 Out on the bike tomorrow usually works. Thanks for all your concerns @Rush2019

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 3

Posted

Rob 79812010 Yep December 17th 2010... Best snowfall in my life. 25 cm in Crosby... Ice flows on the Mersey estuary... Banks of ice on the beach feet deep.

• Like 8

Posted

pretty manky in the marginals today-dull and breezy in the morning, cooled down with rain into the afternoon 7.5C. Some excitement for next week but seems to be a lot of fluctuations in models. Could do with it hanging on until after Thursday. Got to drive down to the smoke sadly.

Iceaxecrampon Rugby did mine, but really saw it off crawling a long a river bank sneaking up on a trout! (#fishingisadangeroussport!)

• Like 5