Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

russwirral , true. More tools doesn't always mean more accuracy. I'm grateful we have all these tools accessible to us but like you sometimes I miss the old days. 

• Like 5

Posted

Kasim Awan it’s all very interesting stuff really. 

There aren’t really any other urban areas in the UK with similar geography (extensive high ground immediately to the E). 

I haven’t watched the MetO deep dive but I wonder if it’s covered on there. I reckon a fair few Mancs will wonder where the snow is on Thursday. 

• Like 7

northwestsnow You do well in an easterly front aswell especially 250m+. Remember it's the drop in elevation on the western side of the Pennines that causes the air to dry and warm. So if Manchester was above 200m it'd still get snow, albeit lighter than 200m further East.

@Joe Bloggs it's very rarely discussed.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Kasim Awan Manchester is the second biggest urban area in the UK and the population is growing rapidly. 

Maybe it should get a mention in forecasts when frontal snow is forecast widely across Northern England as the graphics can sometimes be misleading. I’ve heard it mentioned once by Dianne Oxberry (RIP) in 2013. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Kasim Awan

That is what exactly happens in my area. 
as I stated before, from a Easterly I will get showers but far lighter than Oldham, Etc. 

• Like 7

Posted

Day 10 Interesting their model looks much better than the always patchy snow cover on the UKV.

That looks decent , plus it's only 7pm Thursday and could be more overnight into Friday morning before it turns to rain . 

• Like 8

Posted

russwirral

I can see it both ways, it is good too see how things have advanced that we can have more detailed forecasts but the downside is some takes the graphics too literally and get hung up with what they are showing.

As I always say, it's what the radar says that counts the most. Going from experience, I'm expecting very little here due to the rainfall shadow affect, I don't think the air is all that cold either and there will be alot of mixing. I think PPN will be quite patchy to the west of the hills aswell and it could be one of those infamous days where the radar says PPN is falling but nothing is actually reaching the ground until it's too marginal. 

I be a bit more excited if I was living on much higher ground and maybe the Liverpool area but even then, any snowfall is likely to be transient.

• Like 6

Posted

hope it's a good event for as many as possible.

I'm not sure my altitude be as important as expected it will be more the rain shadow effect that spoils things here.

Give me an Easterly every single time, kasim has probably explained very well why Oldham does well in an Easterly.. ( north easterlies work too btw).

• Like 9

Posted

Kasim Awan A detailed prognosis there Kasim.

Any thoughts for the north of the region? i.e. Cumbria. We seem best placed to hold onto the colder air for longest..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

northwestsnow

Knowing your area well im sure you’ll be ok if not as much as the same elevation over the hill.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, The Northern Ramper said:

I awoke for my paperwork to a foot of untouched snow. Awesome

Amazing! 👍

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

iand61 I can remember the giant incandescent filament lamps they used in the street lights in the 1970's. 

They were changed in the late 70s, early 80s fpr the low pressure sodium.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

For any newbies, this is the joy of lamppost watching. 

• Like 9

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-01 08:45:04 Valid: 01/05/2024 0600 - 02/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - 01-02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F