Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Clearer skies out to the West by the looks of it. 🤞🏽

Lots of rain overnight. We now have a pond where I recently dug up the little patio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Andy Bown not surprising at all we had a right damage around our areas, didn’t we?

as Mr P said earlier, I was very surprised as well due to high-pressure not being that far away. I think they must’ve been a squeeze between the low and high, forcing up more moisture moisture laden skies for sure.

Posted

Morning All, you can certainly see why the MetO went yellow and nailed it last night, with the amount of rainfall overnight/early this morning, exactly as the WXcharts showed from an ECM perspective, with 29.6mm here.

A mild night with the low of 10.2°C at: 01:28, currently 12.4°C, RH97% with light air movement from the W, and mainly clear sky.

From Above

image.thumb.png.165b1dd87df2a380deba8cbdc39ee46b.png

On Golden sands

image.thumb.png.5242431c2922c4cbc1aee548d779eb9b.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We seem to have breezy fog here so far today…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Crazy mild and humid again. 

just done some emergency work on the little brook next to our garden as last night’s rain managed to overflow a culvert and created a mini tributary across very edge of our grass and back into the ditch via a new wee sinkhole (literally looks like a plug hole)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Interesting weather data this morning..

Screenshot2024-02-18114300.thumb.png.0756591c0a43ea18ead97706cc8f51a1.png

That sharp cut off  caused quite a trough and peak in the air pressure here.

atmospheric-pressure-hpa.thumb.png.62f880d585832f6e17b03b9676c46b1e.png

After the drop, pressure rose 2mb in10 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I really hope Spring herolds in something less dull & cloudy and more sunny &/or convective.

Just a change to the weather pattern we have mostly had to endure for the past 8 months would be a victory right now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Lots of flooding around here this morning.

127mm so far this month. Only January (69mm) and September (97mm) have been below 100mm this Autumn/Winter. 

Longing for some dry warm weather now. This Winter has been a hard one to take! Promised so much, but in the end delivered nothing but rain.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's decent here. Plenty of blue sky and warm.

Just cut the grass for the first time this year. It had grown really long over the winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

After that horrid overnight period it’s utterly glorious now. Some sunny spells and 16C, amazingly a 13C. Extremely mild for Feb on right on the coast.

IMG_6916.thumb.jpeg.ece08a5f0a0e14f568bfff6b1395b3ad.jpeg

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Andy Bown

The new bit drains really well.

Most of the crocus are out now, so avoiding that bit.

IMG_20240218_125459230.thumb.jpg.b8c9dc099ed805d9400e9f6e378c732a.jpg

Just picked some daffs for the house too. So nice to see the garden springing into life again.

Lovely on the patio, out of the breeze.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

offerman I can’t send you the video because I saw it on my wife’s WhatsApp from one of her colleagues.

She lives in a flat near the river at the Asda end of Frome. The river was absolutely raging this morning! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Temp hit 17.1°C before a shower arrived. I was sat by the pond watching my fish. They have become quite active due to the water warming up.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Andy Bown thanks Andy . I can imagine it was after that deluge

looks like a lot more to come this week as well looking at all the low slow circulating low pressures due

• Like 1

Posted

offerman Oh no, you mean, more rain?

CC UK winters seem to be aligned to this sorta stuff. Whether you believe in CC or not, it's difficult to argue after the current winter failure, as none of the models were picking this up from a long term perspective.  So, so much talk last November about a back end loaded winter for the UK, hmm....

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, jtay said:

Still glorious. What a day.

Has been hasn't it, the dogs have been laying in the warm sunshine, just loving it, but I was loading the car for a "dump run" and down came the drizzle, not for to long though.

• Like 1

Posted

Dorsetbred completely agree with you. I have actually stated in the model thread on numerous occasions that despite all the super computers, it’s just going to be so much more difficult than it was before with so many new changes happening most likely because of CC. And as you said, as well that none of these changes were picked up on this winter, when all the forecast and ensembles painted a different picture to what has actually been the outcome. Telekinetics, can’t be relied upon, neither can many of the forecasts that are put out there. 
an extremely difficult area for these people to work in with forecasts with so many changes afoot. 
what I have noticed, seems to have been much milder and wetter winters. 

I remember some winters, when I was younger that if we didn’t get snow, sometimes we’d have long settled periods of extremely cold weather by day from high-pressure systems that had migrated down from the north or east to sit right over us, and of course, I remember some pretty snowy times as well. 

Since 2007. I do remember quite a few snowy periods on several occassions but something definitely seems much different More so recently.

So seems to me like the winters are definitely milder and far wetter for long periods of time, and the summers seem to have far fewer thunderstorms, but also I’ll be becoming quite hot and for longer periods of time with more extreme temperatures. 

The sea temperatures in North Atlantic have also been several degrees above where they normally would be.

I’m not sure if anyone else follows this, but I often follow the cold plunges that come down the eastern side of Canada, and I remember times when this called polar maritime air mass, could make it right across the Atlantic and onto our shores.

And I also remember the cold plunges coming down the eastern seaboard of Canada would go quite far south down the east coast of the United States, but this winter. A lot of the cold air really does disappear quite quickly when it turns that corner to start head into the mid atlantic. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

It must be Summer already. The ice cream van went past an hour ago, playing his merry tune 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Being on the river is lovely.However it occasionally opens other of nature's doors.Driving home in the semi dark this evening the trucks headlights picked up this lovely white bird floating gracefully whilst hunting.I Love Barn Owls such beautiful birds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-01 08:45:04 Valid: 01/05/2024 0600 - 02/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - 01-02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Warming up this week but looking mixed for Bank Holiday weekend

In the sunshine this week, it will feel warmer, with temperatures nudging up through the teens, even past 20C. However, the Bank Holiday weekend is looking a bit mixed. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts