Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted
1 minute ago, Neil Harris said:

Met office getting a caning on social media for issuing that warning on Monday, surely it's better than being unaware though. And it gave everyone a lot to talk about.

Horrible morning

yep definitely gave a lot to talk about, hahaha

Posted

Neil Harris Anyone who mocks the MO for warnings that don't materialise are mocking their own stupidity. The warnings are about handling risk percentages & public safety. No more, no less. It's hilarious how many people misunderstand this basic concept. In marginal situations, the warnings are correct, regardless of outcome.

Edited by Polar Low
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

im going up to Longcliffe in a bit, thats at 340mtrs, it will snowing there !!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Polar Low it's called a nanny state. God knows what people done without the ott warnings they put out today. .....😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Polar Low Agree completely. It shouldn’t be beyond most to understand the probability/impact grid. In my view if there’s a low risk of a high impact event the MO have a duty to warn about it.

The problem seems to be the understanding that “low risk” means, on balance, it probably won’t happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Well well, I turned 60 a couple of weeks ago and although I still mountain bike and I feel quite fit still if we don’t get snow soon, I wonder if I’ll be able to be fit enough to get out there and enjoy it. 😂 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Polar Low common sense ,common sense......

• Like 2

Posted

ANYWEATHER Probably get stuck in places where there is snow and then moan that the Met Office didn't do their whole purpose of warning people 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

I can report that it is now, as forecast, smashing down with snow in Belper. For this location the forecasts by met office have been spot on. (BBC for comparison just had rain)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

The expected foul morning here: 3.6 °C and steady moderate rain. I suppose there may have been a "sleet flake" or two before dawn! Always look on the bright side of life, etc etc.

Though the Severn is rising fairly fast again. Currently projected to top out around 3 metres, which won't cause problems with a reasonably dry week hopefully. Always look etc etc again!

Mind you, anyone who wants a cool, wet spring, I'd advise not standing near me when you say it. 😛

Posted

Lovely stuff here in Newark, coming down by the bucket load. Just starting to settle now. Will enjoy the next few hours - imagine we'll maintain this until mid afternoon before a gradual reversal of temps. 1.8C and dropping right now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Well it’s been a battleground here for the last couple of hours between rain and sleet.But we now have proper snow.Okay it’s not particularly heavy but it is starting to settle on the grass and cars.Doubt it will be much but it’s seasonal at least!.

• Like 2

Posted

Snowing more now. Chunky flakes. Nice to see despite no settling, and bemusing given the automated forecast shows it has now turned to rain whereas earlier it showed snow when we had sleet.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Well a rapid light dusting here literally took minutes for the snow to settle its snowing that heavily. 

Not expected looking at the radar. 

Good to finally see the Starlink dish actually does heat up and melts any snow on it though. 

• Like 2