Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Frigid well in fairness you have had plenty of that weather the past several months and even before autumn and winter with those very poor summer weeks we had.

it’s time for some warmth and sun now. I know we only get chance of  6 months of true warmth if we are lucky but couldn’t think of anything worse when every month was cool or cold like in the most northern countries. Don’t get me wrong I like winter/autumn but with how poor and dull the weather has been for several months overall I’m ready!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

As well as the exceptional mildness and dullness of Feb 2024, could we now be in with a chance of the wettest Feb on record in many areas too?

It actually "seems" wetter than 2020 here, in the sense that the frontal systems seemed to go through a bit quicker in 2020 while this year, we've had several instances of very prolonged rainfall from slow-moving fronts. With the models showing two further possibilities of prolonged rainfall from slow-moving fronts on Sunday and this time next week, it must surely be a possibility?

The exact opposite of February 1986.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Couldn’t agree more TG, months of endless cool, damp weather with little sunshine does nothing for me (anomalously warm winter months are still actually cool in C terms).

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

SunnyG Not sure I'd call 21/22 decent. January was, December was terrible and February was poor though I take your point about the summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Winter weather in Winter!😀

Well you might enjoy 5C and rain but that weather is just pointless to me. Not cold enough for snow, but still cold and miserable. If it’s not cold enough for snow it might as well at least be mild or dry and sunny.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
15 hours ago, WYorksWeather said:

I think whatever your view on temperature, the one thing that is totally uncontroversial both statistically and in terms of feel, is that there has been a distinct lack of any sustained dry weather. That is really what people are complaining about

1000%. All other elements of the debate aren't really of importance IMO. "Mild fans" haven't got what they wanted, because unless you're a duck or a masochistic, 10/11c, 20mph wind and constant rain isn't exactly 'mild' aka pleasant and comfortable weather to be outside in. It's completely grim conditions. Likewise, cold fans obviously have been deprived of anything wintry this entire winter outside of the spell in Jan. 

The sort of muck we've been having this Feb, alongside basically all of December, most of November and October (and July and half of August) serves no one, really. Very, very few people actually enjoy this weather, because of the lack of usability. Actually being able to go outside and not be soaking wet 99% of the bloody time is the priority for most, not the temps being a few degrees C above average for Feb.

We just need some sustained dry and settled weather. That's it. 

Both from a perspective of usable weather as you say, but also in terms of our flora and fauna, agricultural industry, etc...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunnyG Oh 100%. It's almost guaranteed. As soon as the first dry, sunny and warm spell lands in late Spring or whenever, the weather alerts will be out in force, and the discussion will re-emerge about Britain having a "Mediterranean" type climate in the next 15 years. 

Last I checked, the Mediterranean is not known for fully grey skies and rain for 80% of the year lol. Our climate is about as Mediterranean as im similar to Mickey Mouse.

• Like 5

Posted

I'm hoping for April to September to be exceedingly dry on the whole.

The only precipitation coming from a late wintry spell in early April and thundery spells every 2 weeks from May to Aug.

September to have literally nil rainfall and the first (?) Sep to achieve 300 hours sunshine from a UK mainland station.

Of course if we have a 4 week moderately-dry spell the water companies will declare "drought", anxious to convince us all that the problem is not due to them caring too much about their directors and shareholders and not enough about their infrastructure, but due to the return of more normal weather conditions.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 5

Posted

Daniel* 9th already? I'd have said 8th (which is bad enough) though June's rainfall was presumably entirely down to isolated thunderstorms.

As I said, time to place bets on wettest July-to-June period on record I wonder? I suspect only a very dry April-May-June period will prevent this.

Also notable is how we have had three historically wet months in the last 12 (March 2023, July 2023 and now Feb 2024). All three would probably be in the 20 worst weather months of my lifetime, showing how awful this past 12 months has been, aside from those 6 weeks in May/June.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Just hope this isn't what the UK will become under climate change, and we're stuck with these exceedingly dull and wet conditions with invarying temps across the year long-term

This is my main worry as well. Basically becoming a slightly milder Faroe Islands / South-Western Norway. 

No big disparity in temps year round (aka can get a 15c in December or Feb, as well as in June or July), wet & cloudy by default, with the odd blast of sunny heat from May to Sept due to our slightly closer locality/exposure to mainland Europe than those places...

• Like 4

Posted

Frigid I'd be happy with a summer which never exceeded 25C as long as it was very dry and very sunny (and few days were below 21C). I like high-20s temps, but anything dry and sunny with seasonable temps would do nowadays!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I think some here have a short memory because we've had plenty of cracking sunny and hot weather in recent summers, at least in the south of the UK.. 

It's not that unusual to have wet and dull weather considering our location in the world but saying this could be the norm after one tough winter is a bit extreme

• Like 4

Posted

Stabilo19  last summer in Suffolk was a washout. From July to now we’ve had more than twice what we would normally have. Hoping for at least a dry one this year 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Augusta Snow While I don't disagree that July was particularly rubbish (cooler, wetter and duller than average), June was the hottest on record and also the 4th sunniest on record (!!). I think these heat records are becoming normalised now and people are expecting more and more each year.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Stabilo19

And here we’re somewhere in between. Amazing how warm, dry and sunny London is compared to most of the UK.

The Faroe Islands must have one of the worst climates in the world. 13C summers, 1000 hours of sun and 1400 mm of rain a year… Its bad enough up here. It’s a wonder people manage to live up there! Their winters are barely any colder than mine though. Amazing how much the ocean moderates small island climates.

45BBF106-63DB-4A7F-9270-8F711A24A0B4.jpeg

Typed into google “summer in Faroe Islands” and came across these images,  looking at the way people are dressed, must have been a rare “warm” summer day in the mid teens! Looks a nice place though, but I don’t think I could cope with such an awful climate. This autumn and winter has been difficult enough.

F303F1AD-EC5E-4799-8244-AB19E2947493.jpeg

1B96AB78-4E69-4428-BD6F-52D5EF24AA71.jpeg

8BFB3BC9-FE19-44BB-92FD-268632BA9243.jpeg

F127BF8B-D16D-481B-A739-74311B371FF5.webp

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Stabilo19 agree, I think we’ve been spoiled with many recent Summers. In the last several years we’ve had crackers like 2018 and 2022, the all time temperature record smashed twice since 2019, and yes although last Summer was pretty poor, we still had a record breaking June and a very warm and sunny September. 

• Like 3

Posted

Summer8906 October and December 2023 were also very very wet. Not sure about historically so for the whole UK, but I recall certain regions of the country experiencing "top 5 wettest" months for both Oct and Dec.

• Like 2